books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started John Irving's The World According to Garp. It's interesting so far. A little weird.

The only other Irving I've read is A Prayer For Owen Meany, which I loved, once I GOT OVER ALL THE YELLING. :wink:

corianderstem said:
I just started John Irving's The World According to Garp. It's interesting so far. A little weird.

The only other Irving I've read is A Prayer For Owen Meany, which I loved, once I GOT OVER ALL THE YELLING. :wink:

Every Irving book could easily be described as "Weird", amongst other things....I've read Garp, Owen Meaney, Cider House Rules, Hotel New Hampshire, The Fourth Hand and A Widow for One Year. I like his earlier stuff like Garp and Owen Meaney better than the more recent stuff.

No spoken words said:

Every Irving book could easily be described as "Weird", amongst other things....I've read Garp, Owen Meaney, Cider House Rules, Hotel New Hampshire, The Fourth Hand and A Widow for One Year. I like his earlier stuff like Garp and Owen Meaney better than the more recent stuff.

Totally agreed. Irving is a great writer but his recent stuff is WAY out there. I mena what the hell was The Fourth Hand about anyway? And I read it twice?

I am a book whore. I actually subscribed to a Nexflix like bookclub which is saving me a bundle!! Since I read about 3 books a week.

I am really into mysteries right now. Any recomendations?

ljclary said:

Totally agreed. Irving is a great writer but his recent stuff is WAY out there. I mena what the hell was The Fourth Hand about anyway? And I read it twice?

I am a book whore. I actually subscribed to a Nexflix like bookclub which is saving me a bundle!! Since I read about 3 books a week.

I am really into mysteries right now. Any recomendations?

Have you heard of Elizabeth George, you whore? I mean, you book whore, sorry. :)

We have regular author visits at my workplace, and I just got back from seeing Vikram Chandra do a reading/signing. I haven't read anything by him before, but his new book Sacred Games is getting big, fat raves.

It's a big, fat book, too. I'm not sure where I'll find room for it. But I'm looking forward to reading it.

corianderstem said:

The only way I was eventually able to get through it was by skipping all the footnotes, which were a second story in and of themselves. It was a weird book. Some parts were kind of freaky, but overall it didn't stick with me that much.

Yeah, I skip the footnotes that are "sources," but I do read Johnny's footnotes because they're pretty interesting and tend to provide a break from the story of the house itself.

LikeNoOneBefore said:
I'm currently reading "Hamlet," but my favorites are by Laurie R. King. She has a series based of Sherlock Holmes. I'm in love with it! :drool:

ouch. king's books are nothing but glorified fan fiction.

thbookcover-1.jpg

i went to see a production of to kill a mocking bird at the birmingham rep - it is one of my fav. books. the play was fab!! Poetry Auden - is good. It has took me this long to locate my original post!! and it's gone to 6 threads. i must be more of a technophobe than i thought!:ohmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom