books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:
VP, have you read Gaiman's Sandman Graphic Novels?

No, I've never really entered the world of graphic novels. Oh wait. I did read one during the summer. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, about a young girl growing up in Iran during the Iranian revolution. But that's about it for me as far as graphic novels are concerned. Sarah's read Gaiman's though, and I think she may even have them on her computer.

I'm reading the Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx...very disturbing stuff, but it sucks you right in...:uhoh: Not exactly a literary scholar, but it's a good read nonetheless.

Last book before that...Hop On Pop by Dr. Seuss...:shifty:

And Klosterman is a pop culture genius...he's funnier than shit and that makes his books amusing...:up:

VintagePunk said:

No, I've never really entered the world of graphic novels. Oh wait. I did read one during the summer. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, about a young girl growing up in Iran during the Iranian revolution. But that's about it for me as far as graphic novels are concerned. Sarah's read Gaiman's though, and I think she may even have them on her computer.

I'm not huge into Graphic Novels, nor do I ignore them. These I've read, though, and they are fantastic.

No spoken words said:

I'm not huge into Graphic Novels, nor do I ignore them. These I've read, though, and they are fantastic.

Maybe I'll check them out, thanks for the suggestion.

I've just finished the Golden Compass series. Well, I'm a few pages away from finishing the last book still. I nearly finished it the other night but then I put it down because a certain plot line upset and then angered me (nothing religious, it was the one about the two kids personally, those of you who have read it will know what I mean). I think I was PMSing that night, and will go back to it soon. :wink: In the meantime, I've just started Stephen King's Cell. I'm not really far enough into it to give an assessment just yet.

Btw, the graphic novel I just mentioned above, if anyone's interested, here's a description of it:

http://www.randomhouse.com/pantheon/graphicnovels/persepolis.html

It's a really compelling story, very ungraphic novel-like. I've heard the author has written Persepolis 2, a follow-up to the first, and I look forward to reading that soon.

Don't push it!

I just remembered there was something I was supposed to do for you. I've been all wrapped up in new kitty bliss for the past few days, and I'd forgotten. I'll do it in the next few minutes.

I like how getting someone to say something nice to me is like extracting a tooth without novocain. :)

The more I think about it, VP, the more I think you'd like the Sandman series. Give it a try one day.

You're a font of information all day, every day. All hail your vast knowledge, blah, blah, blah.

Happy?

Yeah, I probably will at least give them a chance, on your recommendation.

I've read 87 pages of "Eat, Pray, Love." I'm enjoying it thus far, although I have a hard time relating to the woman, except for our joint love of travel. She comes across as almost manic to me, and I'm a much more flat, zen type of personality so I think that's what it comes down to. But I had the privilege of spending a bunch of time in Rome one summer, so that first third of the book is really a pleasant read for me.

Does anyone use that book application on Facebook? I've read some pretty good reviews of different things, actually. Made me want to commit to a book a month at the very least.

My only resolution this year is to improve my Norwegian by speaking it exclusively to my family and to begin reading in Norwegian. I just started the trilogy by Sigrid Undset (Kristin Lavransdatter) it's a slow go.

lynnok said:
My only resolution this year is to improve my Norwegian by speaking it exclusively to my family and to begin reading in Norwegian. I just started the trilogy by Sigrid Undset (Kristin Lavransdatter) it's a slow go.

Uff da!

:wink:

A new year, a new list of books read! :drool:

#1. Princess On the Brink (Princess Diaries # somethingorother) - Meg Cabot.

I can't help it. These books are very silly and slight, but very cute and fun. They occasionally annoy me, but mostly amuse me. For once, I wanted to smack Princess Mia rather than her friend Lilly.

#2. Housekeeping Vs. The Dirt - Nick Hornby

I tried reading Hornby's latest, a young-adult novel called Slam, but didn't really get into it. I guess I can't relate to a teenaged boy who was into skateboarding, even if it features a character named Alicia. :wink:

But this one was a good read. A slim little collection of essays talking about books. As usual, Hornby's funny.

Lined up for 2008:

Chuck Klosterman IV
Sword and Citadel - Gene Wolfe
Medevial Epics and Sagas
The Petty Demon - Fyodor Sologub
The Ways of White Folks - Langston Hughes
The 13th Apostle - April DeConick
Introducing Semiotics
Quantum Reality - Nick Herbert
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

#3: A Model Summer - Paulina Porizkova

It seemed very appropriate to read this fluffy novel after watching VH1's marathon of America's Next Top Model all week. :wink:

It was exactly what I was hoping for - a fun read about a teenaged model's entrance into the modeling life in Paris. Good, trashy times. Makes me wonder how much of it was based on the author's own experiences.

corianderstem said:
#3: A Model Summer - Paulina Porizkova

It seemed very appropriate to read this fluffy novel after watching VH1's marathon of America's Next Top Model all week. :wink:

It was exactly what I was hoping for - a fun read about a teenaged model's entrance into the modeling life in Paris. Good, trashy times. Makes me wonder how much of it was based on the author's own experiences.

Does she explain anywhere in that book exactly what attracted her to Ric Okasek?

Ha! No, alas. Her main love interest is an Australian dude who is described as being pretty dreamy. Definitely not an Ocasek reference.

Just started The Name of the Rose, after finishing The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll. I wonder if anyone here has read Carroll. Kind of a unique writer.

No spoken words said:
Just started The Name of the Rose

Had you read it before? If not, let me know what you think of it. It's still sitting here, unread. I've glanced at the first page or two, and for some reason, it just seems off-putting to me.

I just finished "God's Politics" by Jim Wallis. Pretty good, but the book is four years old. Even though it discusses issues that are still relevant today, having the Iraqi War as its main focal point makes the book old. It would be nice if Wallis came out with a book for this election.

Now I am reading "Kabul Beauty School" by Deborah Rodriguez. Its about the author's experiences in Afghanistan while she ran a beauty school for Afghan women.

Well i finished reading all of the Harry Potter books lastnight and all i can say is WOW!!! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

They are fantastic! Brilliant - what a story, so much amazing imagination and so many fantastic&utterly believable characters! More twists&turns than a dozen coiled snakes! :up: :bow: :nerd:

I can't wait for the half blood prince to come out in November&here's hoping for a little more Alan Rickman mmm sexy:drool:

#4 Love Is a Mix Tape - Rob Sheffield

Oh, did I love this book. A memoir that's mostly a lot of fun, but with one big, giant ache of sadness once you realize what happens to the person who's a big point of the book.

I love reading books by people who love music as much as I do. And it made me laugh out loud multiple times, which is always a great thing.

This book made me want to write more about music. Another great thing. :up:

corianderstem said:
#4 Love Is a Mix Tape - Rob Sheffield

Oh, did I love this book. A memoir that's mostly a lot of fun, but with one big, giant ache of sadness once you realize what happens to the person who's a big point of the book.

I love reading books by people who love music as much as I do. And it made me laugh out loud multiple times, which is always a great thing.

This book made me want to write more about music. Another great thing. :up:

I've wanted to read that for the longest time! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I'm currently reading a book called "This is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel J. Levitin. It's all about why humans gravitate so strongly towards music and what it does to our brains when we're listening or making music. Very interesting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom