Bonds pondering retirement....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
In an interview today Bonds hinted he may retire. He said due to his knee injuries that he won't play until mid season, or even until next year. He says he's tired though and just may retire....

I guess its not as easy to recover from injuries without the juice.....

A dejected Barry Bonds said Tuesday that there's a chance he might not return this season because of multiple knee surgeries.

"Right now I'm just going to try to rehab myself back to, I don't know, hopefully next season, hopefully middle of the season. I don't know," Bonds said. "Right now I'm just gonna take things slow. I feel bad for the guys because I want to be out there for them."

When asked directly if he said he might not be back until mid-season or next season, Bonds answered, "Maybe. I told you that before I left, remember? You thought I was joking."

Bonds arrived on crutches at spring camp Tuesday, bringing his son, Nikolai, to meet with members of the media.

While Bonds was defiant and confrontational during his first press conference of the spring Feb. 22, he was despondent Tuesday, using the word "tired" 14 times during his approximate 10-minutes session.

"I really don't have much to say anymore," Bonds said. "My son and I just going to enjoy life. My family's tired. You guys [the media] wanted to hurt me bad enough, you finally got there.

"You wanted me to jump off the bridge, I finally have jumped. You wanted the bring me down, you've finally brought me and my family down. Finally done it. From everybody, all of you. So now go pick a different person. I'm done. Do the best I can, that's about it."

Asked if there was something specific he was talking about Bonds said, "Inner hurt, physical, mentally. Done. I'm mentally drained. I'm tired of my kids crying. Tired"

Bonds originally underwent knee surgery on Jan. 31. Four days later he accidentally hit his knee on a table at SBC Park in San Francisco and the knee had periods of swelling. An MRI last week revealed further tears in the knee.

Conte said there was no way of knowing whether the incident on Feb. 4 caused further damage.

"And we don't care," Conte said. "We're starting with a clean slate. We'll try to get it right."

Bonds begins the season third on the career homers list with 703, trailing Babe Ruth (714) and Hank Aaron (755).

its amazing how the media was able to hurt his knee to bring him down

What the frig is he so angry at the media for? He should spend some time in an Anger Management class while he's "Rehabbing" his ravaged knee.

poor poor baby...

I just saw this interview on ESPN. "I'm tired, I'm just tired. You guys finally got me. You wanted to hurt me and you finally did." I guess finally having to give the media attention rather than sitting in his friggin chair got to him. Sniff sniff.

And I'm sorry, but does anyone honestly think he didn't do steroids?

why would u let your son tag along with you to a media interview when they bang you with questions about you taking steroids, articles about your ex-mistress claiming you took steroids, tax evasion charges, etc etc?? He mentioned his son like 15 times in the interview....."you hurt my family"....one savy fellow.

I was watching ESPN and someone there said that he might have even had his son wear Barry Sander's jersey....u know, "Im going to retire early and walk away right before the big record." I think thats a stretch, but it is Barry...

He's not going anywhere. He's definetly breaking Ruth's record, Aarons, :shrug:

Last edited:
i think i'm the only person left on earth who still likes barry bonds.

perhaps while we erase his records from the books we can erase his godfather willie mays' records too, seeing as willie took amphedamines. :shrug:

baseball has always had a cluture of cheating. the only reason why those in the 1920s - 1960s didn't take steroids is because they weren't available. if there were steroids in ruth's era, people would have taken steroids.

who cares... let's move on.

Last edited:
bob gibson said if they were available at his time he probably would have done them because he would have wanted to do whatever it took to win...

but its not even about the steroids, that whole interview he gave was incoherent nonsense. i felt like i was watching mike tyson being interviewed or something. and i agree, he asked the camera people to get his son in the frame to show everybody how his family was hurting.

its not the media that's bringing you down barry, its yourself and some of the choices you made.

yeah well maybe if he didnt refuse to take any accountability for himself and admit he has made some mistakes instead of blaming all of his problems on the media, then maybe people would be a little more sympathetic towards him.

in that interview he even made it sound like it was the medias fault his knee was hurting, give me a break...

I'll move on from the steroids. The truth still remains I didn't like Bonds 5 years ago either. I never have liked him. If he still could steal 20 bases and only hit 20 home runs, I'd still not like him. He's always been a great baseball player, I'll admit that. But he's just another Millionaire sport figure that is too good for everyone else.

Aside from his uninformed comments about Boston, I've never had a problem with Bonds or how he handles the media.
Its too bad that the steroid thing has happened, cause he'd have been regarded as a top 10 all time player without the roids. Now people will look at him as a cheater, though he'd have had hugely impressive numbers without the cream and the clear, just not 73 homers.
He's not a straight forward honest all American guy like Mark McGwire.

ON BASEBALL
The Bulk of Bonds's Potential Woes Goes Well Beyond Issues of Steroids
By MURRAY CHASS

Published: March 25, 2005

" .... If Bonds doesn't play this season, his knee won't be the reason. He faces accusations that, if true, could put him in prison before he breaks Hank Aaron's career home run record.

Income tax evasion, money laundering, evading federal banking laws and perjury are on the roster of charges Bonds could face if a woman named Kimberly Bell, who identifies herself as his ex-girlfriend, proves to be telling the truth. These matters are far more serious than steroids use and would result in far more serious penalties than a 10-day suspension for testing positive for steroids. Convicted tax evaders and money launderers do jail time. Ask Pete Rose.

"All the stuff she's talking about is all documented," said Martin Garbus, one of the attorneys for Bell. "I don't think there's any issue about that. What two people said in a room does create issues, but there are people who saw them together."

Bell, who said her relationship with Bonds began in 1994, testified last week before the federal grand jury investigating steroids distribution in the San Francisco area, the same one Bonds testified before in December 2003.

"They asked her about steroids and money flow," Garbus said. "I think her story about money flow is corroborated by bank documents. I think she can put it in a time and a focus, and other people were around, so that her credibility will stand up."

If there's any question about Bell's credibility, it's because she plans to write a book about her relationship with Bonds. Garbus is a New York lawyer who represents Bell in her effort to find a publisher. If Jose Canseco can sell a book proposal without a publisher having first-hand knowledge of the steroids tales he tells, Garbus should have no trouble getting Bell a hefty advance.

The grand jury won't weigh Bell's testimony based on her desire to sell a book because it has no reason to know about the book.

Bonds appeared before the grand jury when it was investigating four men, including his personal trainer, whom it has indicted and who face trial later this year. Bell has contradicted Bonds's statements to the grand jury that he didn't know the substances he was using were steroids.

Discussing perjury, a law enforcement official who requested anonymity because he is not involved in the case and thus felt it was inappropriate to comment on the record said: "It has to be a lie that is material to grand jury considerations. Whether or not a guy like him is using steroids would be viable."

Perjury is a serious charge, but what Bell told the grand jury about money flow can be even more damaging to Bonds.

"I think the government is investigating the possibility that Barry Bonds gave untruthful testimony to the grand jury," said Hugh Levine, Bell's California lawyer. "Also illegal structuring of cash transactions by breaking down payments to less than $10,000 to avoid federal law. I think they're looking into the possibility of evading income tax for cash payments for memorabilia."

Levine doesn't know what the government's motives are. The government doesn't advertise its intentions.

Luke Macaulay, a spokesman for the United States attorney in San Francisco, declined to comment on that office's activities regarding Bonds.

"This is just my speculation and educated guessing based on 34 years of practicing criminal law, the first 12 as a prosecutor," Levine said.

When Bonds played the melancholy Dane the other day, he didn't mention these other elements in his life. If he had, he would most likely have scoffed at them, as he does with everything he puts down.

That is his public posture, and he's entitled to put on any act he wants, even playing Hamlet. His lawyer, Michael Rains, also isn't about to acknowledge the potential seriousness of Bell's statements. Rains did not return telephone calls seeking comment. But the allegations are potentially serious.

"I think it's a high probability that they will want to talk to her further," Levine said in reference to the grand jury.

Garbus said the grand jury didn't ask Bell about personal matters. "They asked her about cash," he said, "but they didn't ask her about personal relations, intimate stuff."

Neither Garbus nor Levine would say what Bell told the grand jury, but in an interview with The New York Times this week, she said that Bonds gave her $80,000, mostly in $100 bills, to help her buy a house. She said he told her to deposit the money in four banks, with no deposit to exceed $9,999.

Federal law requires banks to report transactions of $10,000 or more. The law enforcement official said the government often prosecuted what he called structuring cases.

"Structuring is when you avoid reporting requirements on transactions just under $10,000," he said. "It's usually a charge that accompanies money laundering and other things." In addition, he said, "If you're concealing funds to avoid paying taxes, it can be charged as tax evasion and money laundering."

Bell said in the interview that Bonds received the $80,000 for signing baseballs. If he did not report the income, he left himself open to a tax-evasion charge.

"It looks like he's in a bunch of hot water," the law enforcement official said. "These kinds of charges are usually not hard to prove.""

Back
Top Bottom