Bollard, Simmerath, Germany Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teodor, the teddy bear. It's been revealed a couple of times in extra writing by Onstad, I think this is the only comic that actually mentions it:

uuaczt2pw.gif

So, Vlad, how distinctly different are the Belarussian and Russian languages?

Eh, still kinda similar. Belarussian has more Polish influence to it. For example, goodbye in Russian is 'Dasvidaniya', while in Belarussian it is 'Dababacheniya'.

Right ...

They earnt it for bravery, I think. It was one of the hardest hit cities in WWII, my dad says basically 1 in 4 people living there died, something like that. They've had to rebuild the city many times, attacks by Genghis Khan, WWI, WWII etc.

They never gave up, they could've easily just abandoned the city and left it as a memorial.

Ah, doesn't come as too much of a shock to me, given how brutal the eastern front was in WWII.

Eh, still kinda similar. Belarussian has more Polish influence to it. For example, goodbye in Russian is 'Dasvidaniya', while in Belarussian it is 'Dababacheniya'.

Hah, 'dasvidaniya', I remember that from when I tried to learn Russian! I probably pronounced it wrong though ...

Teodor, the teddy bear. It's been revealed a couple of times in extra writing by Onstad, I think this is the only comic that actually mentions it:

uuaczt2pw.gif

Aha, cool.

Ah, doesn't come as too much of a shock to me, given how brutal the eastern front was in WWII.

Hah, 'dasvidaniya', I remember that from when I tried to learn Russian! I probably pronounced it wrong though ...

It was very brutal, American's will try to say they had it tougher. :wink: :shifty:

But yeah, there's lots to see in Minsk. The parks there have many more statues than they do in Adelaide.

Interesting comic that is. I like it.

Haha, it's not really one of the better ones, but I do like the image the last panel brings up. I'm not sure which are some better ones to show you, my favourites generally involve one of the other main characters, Ray the rich cat, getting stoned, so you probably wouldn't appreciate that. :lol: He's an idiot, though.

Haha, Crazy Tonight at NYC II, I think Bono goes to snippet the Rolling Stones song Rocks Off, but instead he sings "get your rocks off" from the chorus of Rocks by Primal Scream.

Right ...

They earnt it for bravery, I think. It was one of the hardest hit cities in WWII, my dad says basically 1 in 4 people living there died, something like that. They've had to rebuild the city many times, attacks by Genghis Khan, WWI, WWII etc.

They never gave up, they could've easily just abandoned the city and left it as a memorial.

That's truly badass, and badassitude is certainly something I consider when vacationing. I definitely gotta make the trip.

Haha, it's not really one of the better ones, but I do like the image the last panel brings up. I'm not sure which are some better ones to show you, my favourites generally involve one of the other main characters, Ray the rich cat, getting stoned, so you probably wouldn't appreciate that. :lol: He's an idiot, though.

There are always the awesome Cure ones! Though I'm not sure they'd be as funny to Vlad as they are to me.

That's truly badass, and badassitude is certainly something I consider when vacationing. I definitely gotta make the trip.

Like I said a few pages ago, some castles still remain despite the brutality of WWII, simply amazing. As well as the tower of Kamenets. :up:

Have you seen/heard of the movie Defiance? With Daniel Craig? That was about some Belarussian Jew brothers who bravely attempted to fight and escape the Nazi concentration camps.

Like I said a few pages ago, some castles still remain despite the brutality of WWII, simply amazing. As well as the tower of Kamenets. :up:

Have you seen/heard of the movie Defiance? With Daniel Craig? That was about some Belarussian Jew brothers who bravely attempted to fight and escape the Nazi concentration camps.

No, I haven't seen that, but it sounds pretty sweet. I haven't even seen any of the Craig 007 movies yet, to be honest. I might check that out sometime though. :up:

No, I haven't seen that, but it sounds pretty sweet. I haven't even seen any of the Craig 007 movies yet, to be honest. I might check that out sometime though. :up:

I haven't seen it either, but it's out on DVD. Weird having that much interest in a movie i've never seen. I remember when I first saw the trailer in the cinemas for Valkyrie on my birthday I had an urge to see it when it came out. But I didn't. :sigh:

I haven't seen it either, but it's out on DVD. Weird having that much interest in a movie i've never seen. I remember when I first saw the trailer in the cinemas for Valkyrie on my birthday I had an urge to see it when it came out. But I didn't. :sigh:

I'm just reading about it now, seems to deviate from history a little bit, but that's to be expected. I'm on a bit of a war movie kick right now, so I'll definitely have a look next time I'm borrowing movies.

I'm just reading about it now, seems to deviate from history a little bit, but that's to be expected. I'm on a bit of a war movie kick right now, so I'll definitely have a look next time I'm borrowing movies.

I've noticed it wasn't really a hit with many movie critics, but if the trailer was anything to go by, then i'm a fan.

I'm sure the cartoonist has some Russian ancestry or is simply fascinated by them.

I'm not sure if he has any Russian ancestry, no idea, but he does like bringing the heritage of the characters to the front a bit. We could just assume that they're Americans and nothing else, but instead we know Ray has French descent, Roast Beef is Greek, Teodor Belarussian and so forth. It's all very character driven.

Getting kinda tired now, see how long I can stay on without falling asleep at the keyboard.

Getting kinda tired now, see how long I can stay on without falling asleep at the keyboard.

I slept a big portion of the middle of the day, got up early to do some important stuff, and I was just buggered after that. Not even a 600ml Farmer's Union iced coffee could keep me awake!

Kinda feel like drawing right now but I can't really be stuffed... I'm meant to draw a Spanish colonial Mexican audiencia building for a project, but it's pretty hard to get excited about doing that.

At least it's not as bad as when people think Ray's a bulldog.

I've honestly got precious little idea what most of them are, but you know what my vision's like.

And I'm totally agonising over this DI thing. 80 minutes for the best of the 2000s? I've no idea how I'm meant to do this.

I've honestly got precious little idea what most of them are, but you know what my vision's like.

And I'm totally agonising over this DI thing. 80 minutes for the best of the 2000s? I've no idea how I'm meant to do this.

Ray's an American Curl cat, hence the round ears. Beef, Molly and Pat are regular cats (most of the secondary characters are cats), Lyle's a tiger, Cornelius and Teodor are bears, Philippe's an otter, Todd's a squirrel, Vlad and Lie Bot are robots... that's pretty much the most important stuff, heh.

Yeah, likewise. I'm going to sit down and think about it more tomorrow and see what I come up with. I don't want to drop out, but it depends how the first draft looks, otherwise I might give someone else a bash at it.

Ray's an American Curl cat, hence the round ears. Beef, Molly and Pat are both regular cats (most of the secondary characters are cats), Lyle's a tiger, Cornelius and Teodor are bears, Philippe's an otter, Todd's a squirrel, Vlad and Lie Bot are robots... that's pretty much the most important stuff, heh.

Yeah, likewise. I'm going to sit down and think about it more tomorrow and see what I come up with. I don't want to drop out, but it depends how the first draft looks, otherwise I might give someone else a bash at it.

Aha. I'm surprised how few of them are bears. Never would've guessed Philippe's an otter.

I'm tossing between featuring long songs I love but consequently few bands, or shorter songs I rank slightly lower but consequently more bands that I think deserve inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom