Bollard, Simmerath, Germany Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, you still don't know? I thought you'd established it's a guy.
We won't know for sure until it's 18 months old (it's about a year old now), and the presence or absence of a black ring around its neck will tell us if it's a boy or a girl... but we're 90% sure it's a guy. One of our friends seems determined that it's a girl though... we'll see!

Mohawk/Kanien'keha is quite different to English... the words for different objects are sentence long descriptions of them, and pretty much everything is long. "Tohsa sasa'nikon:hren" = "don't forget". Good advice.
Blimey. Imagine something epic like War and Peace translated into that...!

You have my sympathies!

I have to wonder what classic rock from Russia would be like though, given it'd have come from the Soviet era and had to have passed the state censor ...

It's just pure classic rock with a few drops of folk. Russian bands never forget their folk roots.

Blimey. Imagine something epic like War and Peace translated into that...!

It'd be handy if you wanted to fill an entire bookshelf!

It's just pure classic rock with a few drops of folk. Russian bands never forget their folk roots.

Ah, right - though I was thinking more in terms of lyrical content. Can't imagine much incisive socio-political commentary, you know? I'm more than aware of what some Russian authors had to go through.

Minsk is an awesome band.

... named after an awesome city. :wink:

Ah, right - though I was thinking more in terms of lyrical content. Can't imagine much incisive socio-political commentary, you know? I'm more than aware of what some Russian authors had to go through.

Yeah, there still was the politics. Some patriotic stuff too.

It is, it is, beautiful city. Though i'm surprised any of you would even know anything about the city. :wink:

You're right, I don't know that much about it, but it seems pretty good from what I've seen and read! I'd like to tour around Eastern Europe some day to visit places like Minsk and Kiev. Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania interests me a lot too, a lot of history in that area.

Minsk is an awesome band.

... named after an awesome city. :wink:

There's a band called Minsk? :hyper:

Now heres something for you history nerds (Axver) out there, Minsk was given the title of Hero City in 1974. (I think?)

I've got a few imported books on Belarus and Minsk. Showing pictures of the city and the oh so breathtaking countryside, plus, the only country along with Poland where you can still find European Bisons!

The only thing I know about Minsk was learnt from watching Friends. :reject:

Haha! I remember that episode, Minsk is also mentioned in 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'!

You're right, I don't know that much about it, but it seems pretty good from what I've seen and read! I'd like to tour around Eastern Europe some day to visit places like Minsk and Kiev. Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania interests me a lot too, a lot of history in that area.

I would recommend it. Many Westerners avoid it because they think you'll get shot if you set foot in the country. :wink:

Amazingly, there are a few historic castles that still stand even after World War I and II!

Haha! I remember that episode, Minsk is also mentioned in 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'!

One of the main characters in the web-comic Achewood is from Minsk. Ashley's a big fan of it as well as myself.

Also, while playing Medieval II: Total War as the Lithuanians, I took control of Minsk and thought of you, Vlad. Then I built a brothel in it. :silent:

One of the main characters in the web-comic Achewood is from Minsk. Ashley's a big fan of it as well as myself.

Also, while playing Medieval II: Total War as the Lithuanians, I took control of Minsk and thought of you, Vlad. Then I built a brothel in it. :silent:

:lmao:

I wasn't aware those existed at such times. :wink:

G'night, Cinner! :wave:

There's a band called Minsk? :hyper:

Now heres something for you history nerds (Axver) out there, Minsk was given the title of Hero City in 1974. (I think?)

I've got a few imported books on Belarus and Minsk. Showing pictures of the city and the oh so breathtaking countryside, plus, the only country along with Poland where you can still find European Bisons!

There is a band called Minsk, but you'd probably hate them. Atmospheric sludge metal. I'm pretty fond of their album The Ritual Fires Of Abandonment, just epic sludgy riffing. Amusingly enough, some of Minsk's members have also recorded with a band called The Cedars Of Lebanon.

Huh, nice, what'd Minsk do to earn that? I'm familiar with the likes of Stalingrad being awarded Hero City status, but not Minsk.

Just had a look at the top of the page and I saw advertisements for Ukrainian women! :lol:

G'night, Cinner! :wave:

There is a band called Minsk, but you'd probably hate them. Atmospheric sludge metal. I'm pretty fond of their album The Ritual Fires Of Abandonment, just epic sludgy riffing. Amusingly enough, some of Minsk's members have also recorded with a band called The Cedars Of Lebanon.

Huh, nice, what'd Minsk do to earn that? I'm familiar with the likes of Stalingrad being awarded Hero City status, but not Minsk.

Right ...

They earnt it for bravery, I think. It was one of the hardest hit cities in WWII, my dad says basically 1 in 4 people living there died, something like that. They've had to rebuild the city many times, attacks by Genghis Khan, WWI, WWII etc.

They never gave up, they could've easily just abandoned the city and left it as a memorial.

So, Vlad, how distinctly different are the Belarussian and Russian languages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom