Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put on Come Home by The Chills. I haven't listened to it in a while. But this is exactly why I fell in love with the Dunedin Sound. It was the first Dunedin Sound song I heard, in fact. It's a lament by Martin Phillipps about the "brain drain" of educated New Zealanders to foreign countries. That obviously resonates extremely strongly with me. It's enough to make me want to pack my bags and go home.

Varitek said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_Roses

scroll down for lyrics to another of my favorite folk songs, which is absolutely gorgeous, i'll be sure to include it. also you could read it for some US labor history.

That's really good too. :up:

my one problem is that a lot of the artists i know well my family only has on cassette!

Hopefully at least some of it's on Sordo/torrents ...

Axver said:

That's really good too. :up:

it's been performed by john denver and by ani difranco with utah phillips. i've got copies of both, but they're both male singers, and IMO it's best with a gorgeous female voice on the melody. i'm sure my family has one somewhere.

Hopefully at least some of it's on Sordo/torrents ...

i've found some seeger and guthrie on piratebay (yes tourist, my family owns pretty much all of the cassettes) and some like the weavers i haven't found...not time now to do an exhaustive search. i dunno if i'll have time while i'm home to dig through the family cds and cassettes either.

Also, I think my strategy in the article will be first to connect the protest singers to well known artists - Bruce Springsteen took a lot of inspiration, I can make an argument for U2 - and to name the most well known - Jeff Buckley, Dylan, Nick Drake - so maybe people will be interested in hearing some of the more foundational artists.

Varitek said:
Also, I think my strategy in the article will be first to connect the protest singers to well known artists - Bruce Springsteen took a lot of inspiration, I can make an argument for U2 - and to name the most well known - Jeff Buckley, Dylan, Nick Drake - so maybe people will be interested in hearing some of the more foundational artists.

You're lucky you have that. The best I can do is try to appeal to a few indie wankers by pointing out Stephen Malkmus or whatever his name is from Pavement worships The Clean.

Springsteen' Seeger Sessions album is fantastic.

Tracy Chapman's first album is a five star classic. One of the best albums of the 80's. Unfortunately, her work got a bit erratic after that, with some good stuff mixed in with less inspired moments. Still a decent career.

I have the Indigo Girls Greatest Hits - that's my extent of their music. I only like the well-known songs from them. After a while, they can get a bit boring. The song with Michael Stipe, Kid Fears, is beautiful, though.

The Clean were one of the seminal Dunedin Sound bands. Their single Tally Ho basically gave birth to the entire scene.

Stephen Malkmus was guitarist/vocalist for one of the more prominent indie rock bands, Pavement, and is probably the most famous Dunedin Sound band. He's covered songs by The Clean before. I never really thought too highly of Pavement, though. As for The Clean, I like some of their songs and their position in Dunedin Sound history can't be overstated, but I think the scene has plenty of better bands.

phanan said:
Springsteen' Seeger Sessions album is fantastic.

Tracy Chapman's first album is a five star classic. One of the best albums of the 80's. Unfortunately, her work got a bit erratic after that, with some good stuff mixed in with less inspired moments. Still a decent career.

I have the Indigo Girls Greatest Hits - that's my extent of their music. I only like the well-known songs from them. After a while, they can get a bit boring. The song with Michael Stipe, Kid Fears, is beautiful, though.

Pete Seeger is awesome - I just posted a link where you can buy him cheaply, though I'm dubious about who is getting the money. thepiratebay has some of his stuff. Springsteen didn't cover my favorites, but it's good work. Sadly I don't think it's gotten Seeger any more mainstream attention. And a lot of the Springsteen-loving hicks would probably be appalled at the messages in Seeger's songs - but then, they think Born in the USA is a straight forward patriotic pro-america song.

I love Tracy's self-titled is definitely her best work, but I like 3 the subsequent albums as well. I'm right now listening to her 2005 release for the first time.

2005...let's see, is that the one with Telling Stories on it or something like that? That's a good tune.

Some of the older Springsteen fans who are stuck in the 70's didn't like the Seeger album. They are a bunch of idiots who can't accept him expanding his music, although they understand the the lyrics do fit him like a glove.

It's too bad it didn't give Seeger more exposure, as he's had just as important a career as someone like Woody Guthrie, but of course Guthrie is forever linked to Americana because of This Land Is Your Land (btw, Springsteen's live version of that is awesome).

If you've never heard it, check out the Folkways compilation. Good covers on there. Obviously, U2's Jesus Christ is one of the more well-known songs on it, but Springsteen has two songs, Dylan's on there, Mellencamp, Seeger, etc. Great album.

phanan said:
If you've never heard it, check out the Folkways compilation. Good covers on there. Obviously, U2's Jesus Christ is one of the more well-known songs on it, but Springsteen has two songs, Dylan's on there, Mellencamp, Seeger, etc. Great album.

:up:

what do you think of james blunt?

I'm just working on a tutorial presentation I have to give tomorrow re: ethnic cleansing and genocide (I'm actually going to do it off the top of my head as I feel I'm just writing down stuff I already know). I must admit, I find myself impressed by a US Senator I was previously unfamiliar with, William Proxmire. According to his Wikipedia article:

From 1967 until 1986, Proxmire gave daily speeches noting the necessity of ratifying The Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. After giving this speech every day that the Senate was in session for 20 years, resulting in 3,211 speeches, the convention was ratified by the U.S. Senate by a vote on 83–11 on 11 February 1986.

What a fucking champion.

Axver said:

I suspect the latter ...

i read the terms of service, rather skimmed, it seems they've licensed the songs so the artists are getting some money...they also have movies for 1.99. i might start using it for stuff i can't find elsewhere, though the downloader only works for pc's so i'll have to do each song manually.

Varitek said:
Ax you clearly need to read Sam Power's A Problem From Hell. (she who called Hillary a monster a few months ago)

Actually, I'm familiar with that. She has definitely been mentioned in courses before (both with regards to genocide and humanitarian intervention - not always positively in the case of the latter) and I think but am not 100% sure that a chapter from that book was in one of my course readers last year.

phanan said:

His voice makes me want to tear my eyes out. :lol:

Yeah, don't really care for him.

I refuse to believe there is anybody on this planet who actually thinks his music has merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom