boards of canada, future sound of london and the vanilla sky soundtrack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
i know theres more than a few of you who appreciate electronica and the sort.

today at the record store i gave future sound of londons "the isness" and boards of canada's "geogaddi" a good listen (as much as one can when previewing the cd).

i listen to boc first, and i didnt mind it at all. i was expecting it to be a bit more aggressive (whatever that means), but it was rather mellow.

the isness was quite interesting, i love meadows, ive heard that songs a great deal of times before. i was going to pick this one up until...

my friend pointed out the vanilla sky soundtrack. i tend to avoid soundtracks like the plague, but i caved. theres a good variety of songs on there, though a few of them already exist on some of my other cds. together though, it makes a nice collection.

despite being mildly amused by the soundtrack, i do believe i should have gotten a real album.

for future reference, which would you recommend? i guess between boards of canada, future sound of london and for the heck of it we'll throw in aphex twin and autechre.

thanks.

Vanilla Sky soundtrack is excellent as far as soundtracks go.....

Check out a band from Manchester called My Computer, they mix a acoustic guitar and vocal with electronica, these guys literally made the album with a guitar and thier computer and what I have heard so far is excellent.....

:|

Boards of Canada are awesome

Check out Music has the Right to Children as well
but Geogaddi, though Ive not heard near all of it, is supposed to be better

1) Plaid. What a very interesting group. Look up "Plaid Itsu" on a search engine for a music video that has been circulated around a lot (I love the video as well).
2) Orbital -- Orbital 2 ("Brown" album). Absolutely classic. Also check for "In-Sides" if you like "Brown."

Melon

good stuff, thanks everyone.

but do any of you have the boards of canada or future sound of london albums that i mentioned? just curious as to opinions. ive been burnt so many times in the past few months with cds that i thought would have to grow on me but dont (coldplay, doves (to a lesser extent).

i downloaded a walkman song last week and its great. theyre not electronica or anything, well not really anyway, any of you like em?

I have the albums in mp3 but haven't listened to them enough to have an opinion. I'd definately second Melon's recommendation of Orbital. I prefer In-Sides over Orbital 2 by a bit though. classssic stuff.

Last edited:
As far as this year goes, try Thought for Food by The Books.

It isn't exactly electronica; it isn't exactly anything, exactly, but good.

The Books consist of a guitarist, a celloist, and many vocal samples. The album is terrific.

edit: a fairly accurate review of it

Last edited:
I haven't given Geogaddi a proper listen yet, but Music has the Right to Children is a pretty good chill IDM album. I prefer Autechre to BOC because they're a lot more in your face and intense. I'd give "Tri Repetae++" a listen, I think it's Autechre's most accessible and complete album. Some of their other albums are hit and miss, with a few good songs mixed in with a dissonant mess. It really is pretty tough getting into some of their other albums because they're doesn't seem to be any flow, just a bunch of cold mechanical sounds. I've heard FSOL's "Lifeforms", it was decent but nothing great. Aphex Twin is pretty good too, I'd get "I Care Because you Do" and "Selected Ambient Works Vol. II". I'll list a few mp3s to give you a flavor for this stuff.

Autechre - Dael, Eutow, C Pach, Piezo, Basscadet
Aphex Twin - Girl-Boy Song, Alberto Balsalm, Acrid Avid Jam, Cliffs, Vordhosbn

excellent, qball and mug 22.

particularly qball for giving me songs to dl, cause im nowhere near any record store that would have those albums.

I just downloaded the books album and i do think it is reaal wicked.

Back
Top Bottom