Blues vs Canucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
id be more worried about "6 goal" Clouts than Osgood if I were you. 1 game doesnt mean he is "back to form". all we gotta do is start shooting from the red line and we will be alright.

nuts, freakin canucks announcers

i hate listening to these fools

blues200.gif

2 minutes?!?!?! this is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a cheap ass shot!!!!

freakin canucks

well 0-0 after one, looks like im talking o myself here, but thats alright

the refs really need to let the teams play, it is starting to get ridiculous. a playoff series shouldnt be determined by who has the better special teams.

was pretty even in the first period, the blues were pretty physical so that was nice, now lets just pop in a few goals

its not on espn or anything, its on the canadian channel, cbc. i have satellite so thats how i can see it.

the philly toronto game is going to ot, so i suggest you watch that, there is nothing like sudden death overtime playoff hockey, where any mistake can cost you the game, now thats excitement

almost as exciting as smooching you :wink: :kiss:

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A PLAY BY STILLMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Rb300GL.jpg

blues200.gif

Last edited:
GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

WOOOOOOOT WOOOOOOOOT WOOOOOOOOOT

2-0!!!

Rb300GL.jpg

best road team my butt

we have dominated this period

blues200.gif

well 2-1 after 2

the blues dominated that period, but a late powerplay goal keeps the canucks in it

there are still waaay too many penalty calls, that was a nice high stick :rolleyes:

should be a good 3rd period

EMPTY NET GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

Rb300GL.jpg

that seals the deal, what a game!!!!

3-1 good guys!!!

woo hoo, game over

eat shit canucks :wink:

what a perfectly played 3rd period by the blues, after the 1st period it play was pretty much dominated by the blues. it was nice to see such nice defense without the soon to be norris trophy winner, 14 freakin shots. its a shame there had to be so many penalties though, the whole series has been ridiculous penalty wise. its hard to get a good flow to the game going with all of that crap called. but we won so i am happy, ill be interested to hear you canucks fans comments.

SCF.gif

Last edited:
Blues Recap: Blues overcome endless trips to penalty box

Jeff Gordon Post-Dispatch Online Sports Columnist
updated: 04/14/2003 10:21 PM

The Blues weren't perfect Monday night. They spent too much time in the penalty box to earn the highest possible praise.

But they did play a solid, spirited game while dispatching the Vancouver Canucks 3-1 to take a two games-to-one lead in this first-round NHL series.

The Blues checked tenaciously, controlled play at even strength and won the battle of special teams.

They handled the absence of Norris Trophy candidate Al MacInnis for one game, anyway, getting especially strong games from Chris Pronger, Alexander Khavanov and Barret Jackman on defense.

Chris Osgood played another stout game in goal, too, as this resilient team took another stride toward becoming a real Stanley Cup contender.

Now, if they could only do something about all those needless penalties that leave them shorthanded way too often . . .

GETTING STARTED

The Blues talked a lot about staying out of the penalty box in Game 3 . . . and then they came out taking more penalties. Ryan Johnson got nabbed on a high sticking call and Valeri Bure gave the Canucks another quick power play by earning a slashing penalty.

This was definitely not the game plan. By managing to kill off those two penalties, though, the Blues gave themselves a chance to settle into the game.

BECOMING OFFENSIVE

As in Game 2, the Canucks didn't give the Blues get a whole lot of room to work at even strength. When the Blues weren't in the penalty box, though, they did a pretty good job creating some pressure with all their lines.

Had they hit the net instead of a couple of posts (Keith Tkachuk in the first period, Doug Weight in the third) this victory would have been an easy one.

GETTING DEFENSIVE

Well past the halfway mark of Game 3, the Canucks had just seven shots. Seven! The Blues played brilliant team defense, maintaining strong positioning, locking up would-be shooters off the puck, blocking shots and clearing rebounds.

Weight had a memorable rebound sweep in the first period, swiping a would-be goal out of harm's way at the very last second.

STRATEGY AND TACTICS

With MacInnis disabled and Jeff Finley back from the injured list, Coach Q paired Finley with Christian Laflamme, Khavanov with Bryce Salvador and Pronger with Jackman to start the game.

Working with the last player change, Quenneville was able to keep the Pronger/Jackman duo on Vancouver's top line. He also kept the Martin Rucinsky-Weight-Dallas Drake line out against the Todd Bertuzzi-Brendan Morrison-Markus Naslund line as much as possible.

SPECIAL SITUATIONS

The Blues broke the scoreless tie in the second period with an excellent power-play maneuver by Cory Stillman. On his forehand, he curled from the right side of the offensive zone to the middle of the ice ? then snapped a pass back toward Pavol Demitra at the right post.

Demitra slapped the bad-angle shot off Canucks goaltender Dan Cloutier into the net to give the Note a 1-0 lead.

We're always begging Weight to look for his own shot more ? and he did on the very next Blues power play, walking out from behind the net to fire the puck through Cloutier to push the Blues lead to 2-0.

(By the way, fans of high adventure certainly enjoy watching Weight work the right point while Khavanov works the left point. One never knows what they will do or where they will go.)

The Blues were absolutely brilliant on the penalty kill. Johnson, Drake, Weight, Tyson Nash, Shjon Podein . . . forwards on the kill did an excellent job breaking up plays and clearing the puck out of danger.

GETTING PHYSICAL

It didn't take long for the real fun to start. Salvador checked Canucks agitator Matt Cooke into the Blues bench early in the first period, then Tyson Nash did the same to Brent Sopel a few minutes later.

Pronger got into the spirit of the whole penalty killing thing, popping Bertuzzi in the melon in the second period and sending his helmet flying.

NET GAINS/LOSSES

Osgood made the big saves when he had to, like on Morrison's attempted rebound conversion with less than eight minutes left in the second period.

Ozzy stopped a Brent Sopel slap shot from the right point, then deftly slid to his right to keep Morrison from taking the rebound and reaching it around him. That timely stop kept the Blues in firm control of the game.

nooooooo canucks fans here tonight???

i had an excuse when the blues lost, and i was here all night whether we won or not. theres like 5 of you, you'd think at least 1 would be here. its kind of funny you can come say eat shit when you win but disappear when you lose.

:wave:

Chizip - I just got home from my buddy's place where we watched the game. It's called having a life!! :wink:

As for the game, the Canucks didn't show up tonight again. It will be a short series if this is the kind of effort they'll muster. Cloutier was the only one who did show up. And, yes, he is *definitley* back to form. Even you must admit that now.

The officiating was atrocious, which didn't go in the Canucks favour. I can't believe they called a pick against Vancouver on the powerplay, but when St. Louis did the very same thing (twice), there's no call. Explain that one to me.

The Blues played a typical, *boring*, all 5 guys back defensive game, and turned the ice into mud. Pathetic way to win, but effective nonetheless. By the way, did the fans even show up to that game? Talk about night and day between Blues fans and Vancouver fans.

Naslund, Bert, and Morrison have to figure something out by next game, or this series is over.

Oh, BTW Chizip - I can't say I feel sorry for you anymore for the way Bear rubbed in the last Canucks win! After this episode, you deserve everything you get! :wink:

terrible game, from what ive heard.

14 shots on goal?

michael, have you noticed how the canucks cant hit the net?

bertuzzi hasnt scored in 9 or 10 games.

things need to change.

but to be fair, i saw the third period for a bit, and they didnt look toooooo bad.

but they should be playing great, thats the problem.

i knew there was probably a reason why you werent here, you are respectable like that. but when the blues lost there were like 5 people who came to rub it in. so i get annoyed with the people who dont say ever say anything, then when they win, come say "eat shit" to rub it in, and then dont come back when they lose.

and hey i never really rubbed it in tonight, i did say eat shit, but only joking in response to the eat shit i got last time.

cloutier did have a nice game tonight, he really kept you guys it in, with the help of a couple posts. but he still doesnt frighten me, i think he is capable of allowing a soft goal at anytime. the same can be said for osgood as well.

the blues went into their boring type defensive style with about 12 min left. it was classic playoff hockey, the kind i remember the red wings using against us when they were on their way to the cup. it is so frustrating, as it must have been for you as you could only get 3 shots in the 3rd. thats pretty amazing considering we didnt even have macinnis.

on the tkachuk pick, it shouldnt have been called because tkachuk got their first, you are allowed to go occupy space that you want if you get there before the other man, and thats exactly what he did, very smart play.

and you're right, if your big line cant find a groove this series could be over soon.

Yes, Bear - that's the problem. They're playing just well enough to stay in the game, but not well enough to win. It's like they're afraid or something. And yes, they missed the net on about 9 shots in a row. It's bizarre, isn't it? How can a team who scored 4 goals less than the NHL lead this year miss the net like that? Bertuzzi missed the net over and over. They've got to re-focus. Hopefully Crawford can figure something out, cause Naslund has been completely ineffective. That whole line has, actually. At this point, I'd say they're more of a liability than an asset. And that spells trouble for the Canucks, because they won't win without them producing.

well you know thats why its not good to have a one line team, because when the line is shut down there isnt much other scoring :wink:

Thanks for the hugs n' kisses Miss Velvet D!

Chizip - yes, the solution to that is put Branden Reid out with Naslund and May. May would create room for Naslund, protect him, and Reid would create speed, which would also allow more room for Naslund. Speaking of Reid, where was he??? I can't believe they didn't dress him. Latowski was dressed instead??? Bad move. Also, put Bertuzzi on with the Sedins, and Linden, Morrison and Cooke out on another line.

As for the Tkachuk pick, he pushed Baron right into Cloutier's territory, which prevented Cloutier from challenging the shooter! That is not legal, so I have to disagree with you on that one.

Last edited:
missdress loves the testosterone

she just wanted an excuse to kiss all the guys

he not only could have he should have, that was a ridiculous call only to give him a 2 minute minor

Like I said, the officiating was brutal, and if we went back through the game, we could find many examples of the Blues getting away with many calls, too. Yes, Sedin was a knob for that hit, and was a knob for all the other penalties he took, as well. But I wish the Blues were called for some of the blatent holds and hooks as well, not to mention the picks. The officiating was brutal for both teams, but the Canucks took the brunt of it. That's the way the cookie crumbles, though.

i dont know, i have to think it was evenly poorly called for both teams. there was a phantom high stick call that lead to a blue pp goal, and then another phantom high stick that lead to a canucks pp goal. and the refs are just so inconsistent its hard to know what is and isnt a penalty these days. but i did see a couple replays of the weight goal with the tkachuk "interference." i know we wont ever agree on this, but tkachuk skated and planted himself just outside the crease. he can go stand in front of the goalie if he is outside the crease, so that is not interference. then baron, a former blue, tried to get in behind him like an idiot. and while he tried to fit in between tkachuks big butt and cloutier, he bumped into cloutier a bit, it wasnt tkachuks fault baron is a goof. but im sure we could look at the same replays and seeing different things for what we want to see, so its not really worth arguing about it.

Back
Top Bottom