Blogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Hey guys,

Anyone here familiar with blogs? Can anyone recommend a good one? I'm torn between hosting it myself and having a site host it for me. The pro for having a site host it for me is that I can post whenever and don't have to find time to FTP. But I'd like to be able to add my own design & such. Someone mentioned to me typepad.com being a good blog site. I'm a bit new to all this blog stuff, so any info or places you can point me to to research would be great! :)

Thanks so much! :wave:
~Olive

Blogger.com, the biggest, has two options: host it on their blogspot.com server and use their code, or use their code and host it on your own server. I like Blogger, and it's good to start out with.

Cafelog.com (also known as b2), which uses PHP and MySQL, is quite good but let me warn you -- it takes awhile to setup if you haven't worked with PHP before. A lot of people have problems setting it up. But, it's very good and I like it a lot. No hosting services -- just use their code.

There's also Moveable Type, but I'm not sure what the URL for it is (try Google, I guess). I've heard mixed reactions to it -- some say the code is needlessly complicated, and some say they love it. :shrug: I think they don't have hosting services, either.

Oh, and Greymatter. I've never set it up, but I've used it, and it was pretty good. It's very popular. The code is sort of annoying but not that hard to use. I don't think they have hosting services.

There's also scribble.nu (hosted on their server only), pitas.com (very barebones, hosted on their server only I think), and Livejournal.com (hosted on their server but I think you can imbed your journal in your site somehow). Personally I'd go with Blogger or Cafelog. Both allow you to use your own design and they're reliable. Blogspot/Blogger's server is sometimes slow, plus ads aren't very nice, so I'd host it on my own server.

Typepad is supposed to be the next Blogger -- aka, a lot of people say they're going to dominate the blog world. I haven't used it myself, but it seems good, so if you're willing to try it -- go for it! :)

I just recently signed up and use Xanga.com and really like it...it's easy to customize...I tried some of the other ones like blogger.com and didn't really like some of them. If you click on my sig where it says "visit a little peice of my world..." you can see mine, but there's not much there yet.

I use blogger myself. It's the easiest weblog program I've come across. The problem with Moveable Type and Greymatter is that if you aren't comfortable with code, chances are you'll get anxiety attacks over it lol. With blogger, you can had it hosted at their site or at your own. Either way it's completely customizable like other weblog programs. You can see 'blog at http://www.cleasai.com/journal/blogger.html I haven't updated it in a couple of days. Nobody reads my blog anyways :tongue: Olive, if you need help with blogger (or have any questions) PM me :)

Back
Top Bottom