bitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
what do you think of this word?

i used to find it boring, and almost offensive(and my standards of what's offensive is well......you know me).

but now i love this word. i call my parents bitches. i call my friends bitches. i even called my dog a bitch before she passed away, although technically.......

and now dave chappelle has taken this word to a whole new level.

so, do you think that all this is a phase? or was bitch ever really a bad word? i mean, it's almost a complement now.

i'd like to hear all your opinions on this, you bitches.

I once played a round of golf with this fellow whose wife had just passed away 10 days prior...I expected that he should have been mourning but that's another issue...

What was disturbing was that when he hit the ball and it was heading toward the green, he would yell "get in the hole, bitch!" almost every freakin' time! I think this was his release from the loss of his wife...!

Other than that, bitches is good!!!!!! :up:

I personally cant stand this word, it irks me big time and because it stems from that whole r'n'b culture of hoods, hoes, bitches and the like, I guess thats why I hate it, cause I dont like R'n'B and I dont like the culture that is associated with it. It all seems very sexist and defamatory:huh:

In it's reference to female dogs, fine. Other than that I think it's word meant to demean and offend. Like cigarettes, it must make people feel cool and grown up to use it casually.

najeena said:
In it's reference to female dogs, fine. Other than that I think it's word meant to demean and offend. Like cigarettes, it must make people feel cool and grown up to use it casually.

I am in total of agreement with you najeena.

If it's used to demean a woman by a man, I am not okay with it. If it's used in a slang sense, I could care less. I call everyone bitch (if I know they don't mind it).

I'm with others on the use of it amongst friends, we all know what's meant by it and it just goes along with all the other friendly ragging on one another, I have sung to Elton John's infamous tune at the top of my lungs when I need to vent the feeling...

now come on you guys, how many of you have NOT felt better after ripping along at 65MPH bellowing I'M A BITCH, I'M A BITCH AND I'M BETTER THAN YOU!!! :D

...but that said, people who use it to describe women in general, in the derogatory sense, come off sounding really stupid and ignorant. part of why I'm put off of a lot of rap and hip-hop, I don't like bigoted crap like that on any level, whether they're saying bitch or faggot or ****** it all sounds troglodytic to me.

HelloAngel said:
If it's used to demean a woman by a man, I am not okay with it. If it's used in a slang sense, I could care less. I call everyone bitch (if I know they don't mind it).

Ditto

I can't see why it would be considered tremendously funny
but that obviously could just be blamed on my upbringing

Erm, definitely not a fan.
Unfortunately it got a lot of negative baggage over the years, so whenever I read it, I think of the demeaning towards women meaning of the word.

The guy that wrote that article has some unresolved issues about high school...other than that I was with him/her about the use of that catch phrase.

The word bitch really doesn't bother me though. There are far more horrible words used to insult woman. (the "C" word, for example)

I hate to be called that :down: But some of those songs are funny, like Outkast's song that goes "crazy bitch, stupid bitch, ol' dumbass bitch"

If anyone is going to get insulting though, get it right. Women are 'bitches', men are 'assholes.' To me, there are no male bitches or female assholes. But only if they're mean of course;)

U2girl said:
Erm, definitely not a fan.
Unfortunately it got a lot of negative baggage over the years, so whenever I read it, I think of the demeaning towards women meaning of the word.

Exactly ... there is no equivalent word for a man.

Here's the problem with the word. In it's original sense, bitch is used to refer to a female dog. By calling a woman a bitch, you are equating her with a dog--an animal. Something you own ... something you domesticate ... something you control.

While this comparison is not something consciously thought of, the comparison is still there nonetheless.

When someone calls a man a bitch, it is often done so to express dominance (i.e., "You're my bitch."). The same comparison is there when you call a woman a bitch.

WildHoneyAlways said:

The word bitch really doesn't bother me though. There are far more horrible words used to insult woman. (the "C" word, for example)

hmm, what is the ''C'' word? I'm guessing it's ''cunt" but I am not sure. If it is, what does it mean and why is it so bad? :huh:

BrownEyedBoy said:

hmm, what is the ''C'' word? I'm guessing it's ''cunt" but I am not sure. If it is, what does it mean and why is it so bad? :huh:

That is the word, I'd assume. It is arguably one of the worst words in the English language and more offensive than 'bitch' as it is not only derogatory, but completely lacking in class and respect with it's actual meaning. Google the meaning if you like, or even try www.dictionary.com for the proper meaning.

I personally find it one of the worst words and I have no qualms about swearing like a trooper. I'd ask that people respect that many share my views and we don't sidetrack into a free-for-all with this and post descriptions. We dont need it here. This thread can easily be closed if needed.

/Sister Saintly speech.

:|

Back
Top Bottom