BILLY CORGAN Storms Off Stage After Audience Yells For SMASHING PUMPKINS Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bunbury

Refugee
SMASHING PUMPKINS frontman Billy Corgan threw a fit during his performance in Melbourne and stormed off stage after the audience yelled for SMASHING PUMPKINS songs.

One fan who who was at the show told Undecover News that at one stage when an audience member yelled "play some PUMPKINS," Corgan snapped back "Can I live my life for today?"

At another time, someone yelled, "We want rock", and Corgan told him to ask for his money back, the fan said.

Towards the end of the show, after another call for more "PUMPKINS," Corgan is said to have said "Fuck this," put his mic down and walked off.

hey dumbass learn a lesson from Morrissey and mix it up a bit :|

Hahahahha.

For how old he is, he really needs to grow up. What did he expect, the only reason he's remotely famous is for Smashing Pumpkins. No one is a fan because of any of his solo projects, NO ONE. Anyways, whatever.

He needs to buy some witty repartee, cause he's obviously completely out. :rolleyes:

what did he expect? Sounds like someone has a problem...
Grrrr27.gif

On a side note, I didn't get to see Audioslave on their first tour, but I know they wanted to focus strictly on their new material, and not Soundgarden/RATM music. But on this tour, they did, and it was great. Just like when Robert Plant went solo in the early 80s, and refused to play any Zeppelin early on. I understand they want to establish themselves as solo artists, etc., but I couldn't name a Corgan song if my life depended on it. Hard enough for me to come up with a Pumpkins (...despite all my rage I'm just a rat in a cage...).

But still - I don't think he handled it well...

...didn't he just say recently that he'd like to get back together with the rest of the Pumpkins? Why, then, would the talk of doing Pumpkins songs during a show bother him?

Geez, the people from some of my favorite bands who've gone solo still did songs from when they were with their respective bands live...they'd never have acted like that.

Angela

How much better would it have been if he'd made a witty joke about it or just politely said, "Sorry, nope, I've got some other songs I want you to hear." No need to throw a tantrum.

What I find really rich is that I saw a display for his latest CD at my local record store and it had a blurb (either on the CD or the posters, I don't remember exactly) on it to the effect of "from the mind behind the Smashing Pumpkins." He obviously doesn't have a problem with living in the past that much. :rolleyes:

u2popmofo said:
Hahahahha.

For how old he is, he really needs to grow up. What did he expect, the only reason he's remotely famous is for Smashing Pumpkins. No one is a fan because of any of his solo projects, NO ONE. Anyways, whatever.

Not so, I saw him in Zwan in London and it was excellent as was the Zwan record, his solo record is pretty decent as well. Have you listend to any of his solo stuff?

Yeah, it's a bit immature walking off stage, but the people who bought tickets know what he's like, he's moved on from there and it's a bit uncool to expect him to perform a greatest hits set from somewhere he's moved on with.

Anyway, Corgan reforms the Pumpkins as rumoured people will get to hear that stuff then.

I say stick to your guns Billy!

i don't see the problem with an artist wanting to be respected for his current work instead of his back catalog with a former band. perhaps he overreacted a little but i can see where he's coming from.

As much as he's entitled to want credit for his current work, rather than his past with the Pumpkins, he should know that you don't "get" credit - you earn it.

I was at a guitar clinic of Nuno Bettencourt a few months ago (anyone remember him? He used to with Extreme, they had the cheesy More than words song back in the day) and he came on stage cracking a joke about not wanting to hear any requests for that song...and of course some guy made the request anyway...

He just joked a bit with the guy back and forth and they he played the darned song, LOL and made us all sing along, he delayed the ending untill we were all sick of it, haha
:up:

Lo-Fi said:

Not so, I saw him in Zwan in London and it was excellent as was the Zwan record, his solo record is pretty decent as well. Have you listend to any of his solo stuff?

Reread what I originally wrote. I said that no one is a fan of Billy BECAUSE of his side projects, not that no one is a fan of his side projects. I still stick by those guns, most people I know thought Zwan was actually just new Smashing Pumpkins songs.

That being said, I absolutely loved the Zwan album. Best overall album he'd done since Siamese Dream in my opinion.

the soul waits said:
As much as he's entitled to want credit for his current work, rather than his past with the Pumpkins, he should know that you don't "get" credit - you earn it.

people shouldn't buy tickets for his solo tour and expect smashing pumpkins songs. it's really that simple.

i recently saw glen phillips here in philadelphia and while i hoped he would play a few toad the wet sprocket songs (which he in fact did) i did not go into the venue and start screaming for "all i want." in fact, no one there did. the only requests that were yelled out were for his solo material. interestingly enough my brother was able to talk with him after a show in tallahassee and glen revealed that he is rather self conscious about wanting to be seen as an artist himself and not as a former member of toad. he's out trying to "earn" the credit. i imagine billy feels the same way.

Se7en said:

people shouldn't buy tickets for his solo tour and expect smashing pumpkins songs. it's really that simple.

I completely agree.

That being said, Corgan shouldnt expect people to not want to hear SP songs. Honestly, he probably shouldnt expect anyone to want to hear anything other than SP songs.

the soul waits said:

I was at a guitar clinic of Nuno Bettencourt a few months ago (anyone remember him? He used to with Extreme, they had the cheesy More than words song back in the day) and he came on stage cracking a joke about not wanting to hear any requests for that song...and of course some guy made the request anyway...

He just joked a bit with the guy back and forth and they he played the darned song, LOL and made us all sing along, he delayed the ending untill we were all sick of it, haha
:up:

Nuno is pretty cool. Too bad he wouldn't reunite on VH1 "Bands Reunited".

He's a wicked guitar player. :rockon:

I, too, understand the wanting to promote your solo stuff thing, too. At the same time, though, like others have said, people will remember your past work and will want to hear that as well-that's just how the public is sometimes, and besides, there are people who will come to a show who are just getting into the music and so far will only know the most well-known songs, naturally, they'll ask for them. I think it'd be perfectly fine to have a good mix of both past and present work in your repetoire.

And Billy probably could've handled that better.

Angela

Se7en said:

i recently saw glen phillips here in philadelphia and while i hoped he would play a few toad the wet sprocket songs (which he in fact did) i did not go into the venue and start screaming for "all i want." in fact, no one there did. the only requests that were yelled out were for his solo material. interestingly enough my brother was able to talk with him after a show in tallahassee and glen revealed that he is rather self conscious about wanting to be seen as an artist himself and not as a former member of toad. he's out trying to "earn" the credit. i imagine billy feels the same way.

My cousin's met Glen a few times... one of the nicest and accomodating guys in music. And the fact that he still writes good music... I mean, "Fred Meyers," "Drive By," "Darkest Hour," "Duck and Cover," "Cleareyed" and still plays great stuff like "Fly From Heaven"... just yeah. That's the way to go solo.

UnforgettableLemon said:

My cousin's met Glen a few times... one of the nicest and accomodating guys in music. And the fact that he still writes good music... I mean, "Fred Meyers," "Drive By," "Darkest Hour," "Duck and Cover," "Cleareyed" and still plays great stuff like "Fly From Heaven"... just yeah. That's the way to go solo.

glad to see another fan. i just happened to notice winter pays for summer on itunes when it was released and went out and bought it on a whim. i'm glad i did. what a great cd. i don't know any of his other solo stuff but what i heard at the show i liked. i need to get his other albums.

also, he played a song about being raised a reform jew and having evangelical friends as a kid (he didn't give a title but i would guess it is something like "gabriel listen" or "gabriel didn't listen") and it was just amazing. it really touched me for personal reasons. he said it should be on the next album, can't wait to pick it up in a year or two.

i also appreciate a musician who isn't afraid to be openly liberal. :sexywink:

Moonlit_Angel said:
I've heard a couple of Glen's songs on our adult alternative channel. Not bad :up: :).

Angela

i know that "thankful" was the first single but i don't know what has been on the radio after that. check out "duck and cover," "cleareyed," and one of my personal favorites from the album, "easier," if you get the chance. or hey, go pick up the album. :D

Ooops. I saw Jimmy Chamberlin's band at the Troubadour in LA and Billy closed the show with the band. After the show, it got real quiet, then I started yelling Smashing Pumpkins requests. "I Am One", "Cherub Rock", and "1979". He clearly heard and ignored me. Now I feel like an asshole. But not like an asshole that storms off stage LOL.

I saw him on the solo tour a couple of weeks ago. Awesome stuff and he's an amazing performer. He's a great artist - and a psycho. Can't wait for the Pumpkins reunion.

Se7en said:
i know that "thankful" was the first single but i don't know what has been on the radio after that. check out "duck and cover," "cleareyed," and one of my personal favorites from the album, "easier," if you get the chance. or hey, go pick up the album. :D

I've heard "Duck And Cover" for sure-gets played on that channel I listen to. But I'll keep an eye out for his album-thanks for the recommendation :).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom