big news for Springsteen fans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:ohmy:

I wasn't going to leave my house until about 7:45 since Target doesn't open till 8. But you know he'll be on just before 9 so we all watch the whole show with our fingers over the rec. button.

Hey. I just realized I can drop off my Bruce tape at my mom's house tomorrow. :D

I just saw the tail end of whatever song that was. :D Ordinarily my co-worker's habit of having her TV on really loud annoys the hell out of me, but this morning it paid off. :wink:

The cd is unwrapped and it will go into this very iMac very soon.

I just bought it.

I usually go to the local music store rather than places like Best Buy or Circuit City, because I prefer to support them (and because I find lots of used stuff there). And besides, they usually have new releases on sale for the same price anyway.

So I go to pick up the CD, and when I get to the register, they give me a VINYL copy of the album and an 8x10 photo of the man himself, and they say it's free with the CD while supplies last. I'm like, "you're kidding" - totally free? Yep. I look behind the counter and they only have like three more records to go before they are out.

To say that I'm a bit stoked right now is an understatement.

:hyper:

phanan said:
I just bought it.

I usually go to the local music store rather than places like Best Buy or Circuit City, because I prefer to support them (and because I find lots of used stuff there). And besides, they usually have new releases on sale for the same price anyway.

So I go to pick up the CD, and when I get to the register, they give me a VINYL copy of the album and an 8x10 photo of the man himself, and they say it's free with the CD while supplies last. I'm like, "you're kidding" - totally free? Yep. I look behind the counter and they only have like three more records to go before they are out.

To say that I'm a bit stoked right now is an understatement.

:hyper:

:shocked:

Wow, too cool!

Wait... where's my copy? :angry:

:wink:

Some on sale dates are slowly trickling in. Supposedly the Detroit show is going on sale this Friday at 10am (I know April will be interested in hearing about that one... ;) ).

Columbus and Milwaukee supposedly go on sale during the following week. Nothing else has been mentioned yet.

ETA: Ouch. $92.50 is a bit steep (that's the price listed for Detroit anyway). Oh well. It's a short tour, so it'll most likely be the only show I'll get to see.

Only Milwaukee shows up on Ticketmaster so far, but the Detroit show is now listed at the DTE site:

http://www.palacenet.com/index.cfm?category=2

Last edited:
phanan said:
Some on sale dates are slowly trickling in. Supposedly the Detroit show is going on sale this Friday at 10am (I know April will be interested in hearing about that one... ;) ).

Columbus and Milwaukee supposedly go on sale during the following week. Nothing else has been mentioned yet.

ETA: Ouch. $92.50 is a bit steep (that's the price listed for Detroit anyway). Oh well. It's a short tour, so it'll most likely be the only show I'll get to see.

Only Milwaukee shows up on Ticketmaster so far, but the Detroit show is now listed at the DTE site:

http://www.palacenet.com/index.cfm?category=2

:kiss:

Yeah, $92.50 is a bit steep for Bruce, but hell, I haven't seen him since the Vote For Change tour back in 2004 so I'm due, damnit.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Last edited:
WOW Phanan ! that was some treat :applaud:

I ...since i registered for MSG tix [u2] last year...

I didn't find anything fior new york about 1 or 2 days ago....And I don't even know if NYC are already - gone, Gone GONE ??!

but i can't afford it anyway........ it's more for my sis who's off on vacation in a ?? semi-secluded spot on an island for a art/travel workshop---- SHE"S the UBER Bruce Fan......while I'm the UBER U2 fan BUT we BOTH love {serious fans} both of the bands anyway and have seen both from early on. :drool: :drool:
---- I still owe her 40$ bucks on the Vote for Change tour.............
AND $225 for the 11-22-05 U2 MSG date... :tsk:
<the tsk is at me for slowing down in my payemnts the last several months :reject:-- she ain't rich but she's pretty well off>

ANyway she should be able to get a tix somehow when she returns....altho if there are any radio station contests i'll have to check those out!

SINCE I got soooo used to :giggle: standing outside MSG [in the gray and a lotta rain i& wind most times } for the guys:drool: last year. I can certainly stand outside for Bruce ! :D:drool:

I look foward to your reviews :hyper:

Last edited:
Hmm

I'm still thinking. I like it

but

My expectations got in the way. I was waiting for it to be less polished; I'm used to that music sounding like Bill Monroe, Roy Acuff, or the Stanley Brothers. A little less polished, a little more raw. Granted, Pete Seeger isn't familiar to me. I tend not to like folksinging just for folksinging's sake. Dylan was fine because he was Dylan.

I have some issues with some of Bruce's singing here as well. I think he's trying too hard in places. Just sing the songs, darlin'; let them tell the tale. If they can't, are they worth singing? I like Dave Alvin's version of Shenandoah better. In fact, I may like his similar album, Public Domain, better.

Let me listen to this again on the way to Nevada this weekend. And I'm still going to get a ticket to see him this June. :D

martha said:

My expectations got in the way. I was waiting for it to be less polished; I'm used to that music sounding like Bill Monroe, Roy Acuff, or the Stanley Brothers. A little less polished, a little more raw.

I listened to a little bit when they were streaming the new record and I actually thought that compared with the way Pete Seeger sings, Springsteen's versions do sound raw and rowdy. But I haven't gotten the record yet so I don't know if that's true of the whole record or not.

I bought it today, and so far I'm impressed.

This isn't the type of music I normally listen to, but it's still good nevertheless.

definitely a grower for me though :up:

it gets a 8/10.

joyfulgirl said:
compared with the way Pete Seeger sings, Springsteen's versions do sound raw and rowdy.

Note to self: Maybe not get a Pete Seeger record. (Steve loathes Pete Seeger, btw, so this album will not go over well with him. See, he's not a Bruce fan. Let's just leave it at that.)

I'll listen to it a few more times and see what happens. Sometimes I need to do that before they grow on me.

martha said:
I was waiting for it to be less polished; I'm used to that music sounding like Bill Monroe, Roy Acuff, or the Stanley Brothers. A little less polished, a little more raw.

It was recorded live with almost no rehearsals. It is raw and not polished. Maybe they just all play so damn well that it sounds polished.

I am extremely impressed. I expected to be bored, as I often am with non E-Street albums (Devils & Dust :reject: )

I thought he was awesome on GMA, if the tour is that good it should be fantastic. Not the kind of music I'd normally listen to either but it is so good. I love the Irish one, Bruce being Chieftanesque is :drool: :wink:

One thing I love about him is that he is willing to take such a non commercial direction, of course at this point in his career he can well afford to. He's not worried about catering to his fans.

^ :yes: Just like back in 1982, when he followed up The River, which was his first number one album ever (Born To Run hit #3) with Nebraska, a record so sparse that the record company was very nervous it would ruin his momentum and therefore his career. But he didn't care - it's always been the music that mattered.

Of course, he did promise his label that the next album would be a rock record, and well, we all know what happened then. :wink:

I would imagine the album from the mid-90's (the one made with tape loops) might be quite commercial, even today. I mean, Streets Of Philadelphia comes from that time period, and is one of his biggest hits ever.

Blah...I'm rambling.

*puts the new album back on and shuts up*

phanan said:
[B

I would imagine the album from the mid-90's (the one made with tape loops) might be quite commercial, even today. I mean, Streets Of Philadelphia comes from that time period, and is one of his biggest hits ever.
[/B]

I'd be really interested in hearing this album. :hmm:

I'm starting to feel that old ticket anxiety for Friday. :hyper:

that's why i hate pre-orders.

although my local record store looks weak in comparison to phanan's :drool:

oh, they still rule. without them, the amount of money spent on cds would have been significantly higher, or the same with less music acquired. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom