best TV shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
This maybe has been asked before..

Let's say I'd been living under a rock or on another planet for the last, oh, 3 years or so (not too unbelievable, lol) and I haven't been watching much if any TV at all (save CSI: Miami, the Daily Show and basketball/hockey games)

What shows are 'must sees' for me to torrent and watch? I've started on the first 6 episodes of The Terminator, can't wait to watch those...

about Battlestar Galactica, cause I know ppl will likely mention it: if I disliked the more recent Star Trek series, ie, most anything after Picard, will also I dislike BSG? or is it completelydifferent?

thanks if you can help..

Just go through this forum and see which threads have the most replies :wink:

BSG is different than the recent Star Treks. Darker. Each season has an arc to it. It's well done.

The Wire is a show I think you should take a peek at. Slow start, but, once you see a few episodes, you're usually hooked. Each episode is like a chapter to a novel. I highly recommend it. They are on their 5th and final season on HBO currently.

I'll also recommend Mad Men on AMC. Just catching up with this one, but it is extremely well written and the lead actor is fantastic.

Sicy said:
Just go through this forum and see which threads have the most replies :wink:

Oh shit, if we did that, American Idol would be the best TV show right now.

The only reasons I watch Idol are to make fun of the people auditioning in the first few weeks or to make fun of Paula Abdul who constantly looks like she's on drugs.

Warning: Don't watch Paula in HD! Her face is like 4 different colors. Yuck!

Ah yes The Wire. Heard alot about it, people who know me well say I'd enjoy it alot..but I havent seen even one episode...holy crap, 5 seasons, that's gonna be a huge undertaking, downloading 5 seasons worth of episodes...unless I can get them 'whole' so to speak..

Thanks for the recommendation!

elevated_u2_fan said:
If you haven't seen it already: Arrested Development.

Is that the one with the 3 boys of diffent ages or is that Malcolm in the Middle. I don't remember, my kids watch this one where the 3 boys are rude to their parents - who are portrayed as blithering idiots lol..one of the boys narrates the show

gabrielvox said:

Is that the one with the 3 boys of diffent ages or is that Malcolm in the Middle. I don't remember, my kids watch this one where the 3 boys are rude to their parents - who are portrayed as blithering idiots lol..one of the boys narrates the show

No, you're right, that's Malcolm In The Middle. AR is about the most incredibly dysfunctional family and all the hilarity that goes along with it...

gabrielvox said:
Ah yes The Wire. Heard alot about it, people who know me well say I'd enjoy it alot..but I havent seen even one episode...holy crap, 5 seasons, that's gonna be a huge undertaking, downloading 5 seasons worth of episodes...unless I can get them 'whole' so to speak..

Thanks for the recommendation!

Each season is only 13 episodes, and season 5 will be just 10.

And, yes, stupid me for assuming you'd seen Arrested Development. It's the best comedy since Seinfeld, possibly better. INMYOPINIONALLCAPSVERSION

I'm going to be getting exceeding bandwidth warnings from my isp..at this rate I might see the sun in, oh, August ! lol

ok so I have

The Wire
The Office
House
Arrested Development
Terminator
BSG

no Dexter or 24 recommendations?

"Desperate Housewives" is another favorite of mine. It's much better if you rent/buy the DVDs and watch it from the beginning. I suppose that's true for every show here, but it's necessary for this one. Don't believe the hype that it's only for women. I know quite a few guys who watch and enjoy it.

Last edited:
I'm sortof forced to watch bits and pieces of it..I don't like it, to be honest. There is another one (pretty sure its not the same one) where they all have some 'cancel lunch - meet now' text message thing going and I find that one super annoying too..:shrug:

Dexter is pretty good, but, I'd place The Wire ahead of it.

24, some seasons are amazing, some not so much.

If I had to rank the shows I think I like best:

The Wire
Arrested Development
BBC Office
BSG
Mad Men
Dexter

Everything else listed here, for me, is a step down, but that's just me.

Friday Night Lights (season 1 is a must-see, season 2 was a slow build)

For comedies:

30 Rock
The Office
Arrested Development

Nobody has mentioned Lost yet?! :tsk: :wink:

This season is incredible. You'd need to watch the previous 3 seasons in order to really know what's going on, but it's worth it. Definitely my favourite show right now.

Agreed about House. I like Criminal Minds also, and Bones...but no one else around here does so don't mind me :(

The Office (American version), The Amazing Race, Heroes, Without A Trace, Cold Case, CSI, CSI: New York, Friends, Suvivorman, Bones, House M.D., The Big Bang Theory, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Seinfeld, I love the 70's, I love the 80's, I love the 90's, The 4400, How I Met Your Mother, Scrubs, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Jeopardy, Law & Order: SVU, Just Shoot Me, and Lost.

Just a few of my favorites:wink:

Besides some mentioned before, I must suggest this classic :love:

200px-Cheers_intro_logo.jpg

:D

How I Met Your Mother
The Office
LOST...if you saw it from the beginning.
House
Scrubs
Iron Chef America
Hell's Kitchen
30 Rock
30rock_kenneth.JPG

:lol:

SportsCenter at 10 PM

Last edited:
Why no one has mentioned The Shield is beyond me. C'mon people. It's a helluva lot more interesting than the Sopranos. The Wire is another one I would check out if I were you. Homicide : Life On The Street (from the 90's) is another often overlooked classic television series (especially the first few seasons). The Twilight Zone (original late 50's early 60's and actually some of the CBS 1985-86 series as well). The Larry Sanders show. Curb Your Enthusiasm. Fawlty Towers. Twin Peaks. And the list goes on...

The Office - both American and British versions
Flight of the Conchords
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Arrested Development

Back
Top Bottom