Best TV Ad of All Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
According to TV Guide in 1999, the original "1984" Apple Mac advertisement is considered the best of all time. View it at this URL:

http://www.ncl.ox.ac.uk/quicktime/1984.html

Would you agree that this is the best, or are there others you would consider better?

Melon

Last edited:
Interesting question. By best commercial, I guess that means most memorable. I certainly remember the "1984" Mac commercial, which is more than I can say about most of the drivel on television today. It is certainly more memorable than the best Superbowl commercials of the last few years.

In the early 70?s, I remember the ?I?d like to teach the world to sing?? commercial for Coca Cola. Great, now that song is stuck in my head.

Also, Wendy?s ?Where?s the beef?? campaign comes to mind as something people still quote today.

You know what's weird? We mute ads during shows, yet those World's Greatest/Funniest/Adults Only Advertisement shows are extremely popular. I love them anyway. :D
No one save a few fellow skips on here will know what I'm talking about, but there's been a few stand outs over my time in front of the box. There was one for Colgate toothpaste back in the 80's.

Tough teeth Mrs Marsh?

"Flouride gets in like the liquid gets into this chalk"

- "Oooooh, it really does get in!"

ARGH!!! Sorry this was without a doubt THE most irritating advertisement to ever grace Australian television. It was even voted the most irritating in some irritating tv commercial poll. It was also proven the most successful advertising campaign of that period. It proved without a doubt that a commercial doesn't have to be loved to sell anything.

The only other stand out ones I can think of are the Solvo one:

"Wash your hands Jeffrey"
"With the Solvo jeffrey"

And the Aeroplane Jelly one with the little King girl on the swing.

"I like aeroplane Jelly!, Aeroplane Jelly for meeeeeeee......"

All you need is an annoying jingle.

:crazy:

..pop pop fizz fizz..oh what a relief it is..

I have so many stray memories of scattered ads..Anthony Stewart-Head tempting the opposite sex with Milk Tray, milky way adverts involving hyper cartoon cars, "mild green..fairy liquid"..hard to pick one out in particular. I do remember we were spoilt for Foster ads during my Pommie childhood..

Back
Top Bottom