Best Rock Documentary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00Kevin

War Child
What do you think is the best rock ducumentary ever made? I think Stop Making Sense, which features the talking heads is the best. Let it be, which is about the beatles would be second.

Yeah, if you love band x, whatever documentary about that band is going to be your favorite. As a movie that gives you insight into making it as a rock band, or at least trying to, nothing I've seen can touch Dig!

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart - Wilco
The Last Waltz - The Band

OnFire said:
Yeah, if you love band x, whatever documentary about that band is going to be your favorite.

Not necessarily. Sometimes a great documentary can turn you into a fan. I know a lot of people who were not Wilco fans until they saw the documentary, and a lot of people who watch the Last Waltz might never even buy a record by The Band but could still appreciate it as an incredible piece of rock and roll history.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones. I couldn't care less about the Stones after the mid-70s but that is one fantastic documentary.

martha said:

I love this movie, but I can't watch it the same way after reading Levon Helm's book This Wheel's on Fire. He has some insight into Robbie that changes everything. :|

Can you explain? I'm curious.

Yeah, Spinal Tap is hilarious no matter how many times you watch it and a lot of bands your indifferent to can make you a fan through their documentaries.

But those bands either were invented for comedic purposes or were well known at the time they made those documentaries. If you want to get an idea what a band has to do to get from indie to major label success, watch Dig! If you want to see "killing your inspiration and singing about the grief" in action, watch Dig!

Somebody please rent,borrow,buy or steal this movie. You can come back here and tell me how much it sucked afterwards.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/104-0630426-2724735?v=glance&s=dvd

barlowdog said:

Can you explain? I'm curious.

According to Levon, the whole "farewell" thing was Robbie's idea; the rest of the band wasn't too keen on quitting. Also, Robbie was able to get the writing credit on the Band's songs, when in reality, they all wrote the songs together. This enabled him to make shitloads of money, while the rest of the band had some pretty serious individual financial difficulties.

martha said:

According to Levon, the whole "farewell" thing was Robbie's idea; the rest of the band wasn't too keen on quitting. Also, Robbie was able to get the writing credit on the Band's songs, when in reality, they all wrote the songs together. This enabled him to make shitloads of money, while the rest of the band had some pretty serious individual financial difficulties.

Thanks, Martha. I first became interested in Robbie after U2 worked with him on his solo album back in the 80's. That is new information to me and certainly paints an unflattering picture of him.

barlowdog said:

Thanks, Martha. I first became interested in Robbie after U2 worked with him on his solo album back in the 80's. That is new information to me and certainly paints an unflattering picture of him.

Remember, 2 sides to every story.

MrBrau1 said:

That's what I was thinking. I haven't read Levon Helm's book but the bad blood between Helm and Robertson is legendary and I'm sure both sides are like night and day (much like a recent dispute I've had with a friend, lol). I know Robertson has gotten the lion's share of the songwriting credit but judging by his solo work, he probably deserved it. :shrug: Anyway, it's sad things ended ugly for them but for me it doesn't take away from the magic the film captured. Or maybe ignorance was bliss...

MrBrau1 said:

I didn't mean to imply that I was judging Robbie in a negative light. If true, it's unfortunate their relationship soured the way it has. And there are usually more than two sides to every story.

I know there are two sides to the story, and the entire book isn't about Robbie. In fact, Levon only gets negative about Robbie when the Band starts to end. It has colored the way I look at The Last Waltz, though.

The book also has some fascinating parts about Dylan and his first few electric concerts.

martha said:
It has colored the way I look at The Last Waltz, though.

Understandably so...just knowing there was conflict behind the scenes.

Back
Top Bottom