best produced albums ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elevation2u said:
Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

when this album comes through my tiny headphones on my ipod it becomes larger than life, really. the album is solid.. music, sound, lyrics and all. it makes me want to start dancing like a crazy loon everytime the intro to 10th Avenue comes on. Sounds good on vinyl too!
:love:

good call, although I've heard some out-takes of songs that have in my opinion even better production

U2Man said:

All the rules fell by the wayside with Revolver, as the Beatles began exploring new sonic territory, lyrical subjects, and styles of composition. It wasn't just Lennon and McCartney, either -- Harrison staked out his own dark territory with the tightly wound, cynical rocker "Taxman"; the jaunty yet dissonant "I Want to Tell You"; and "Love You To," George's first and best foray into Indian music. Such explorations were bold, yet they were eclipsed by Lennon's trippy kaleidoscopes of sound. His most straightforward number was "Doctor Robert," an ode to his dealer, and things just got stranger from there, as he buried "And Your Bird Can Sing" in a maze of multi-tracked guitars, gave Ringo a charmingly hallucinogenic slice of childhood whimsy in "Yellow Submarine," and then capped it off with a triptych of bad trips: the spiraling "She Said She Said"; the crawling, druggy "I'm Only Sleeping"; and "Tomorrow Never Knows," a pure nightmare where John sang portions of the Tibetan Book of the Dead into a suspended microphone over Ringo's thundering, menacing drumbeats and layers of overdubbed, phased guitars and tape loops. McCartney's experiments were formal, as he tried on every pop style from chamber pop to soul, and when placed alongside Lennon and Harrison's outright experimentations, McCartney's songcraft becomes all the more impressive. The biggest miracle of Revolver may be that the Beatles covered so much new stylistic ground and executed it perfectly on one record, or it may be that all of it holds together perfectly. Either way, its daring sonic adventures and consistently stunning songcraft set the standard for what pop/rock could achieve. Even after Sgt. Pepper, Revolver stands as the ultimate modern pop album and it's still as emulated as it was upon its original release.

:drool:

I love when you think in italics :drool: :drool: :drool:

I can't really pick one single album. I just bought the most incredible set of headphones, and it's amazing how everything comes alive with them. I feel that I can't judge production until I re-listen to it all through these.

Muse and Pink Floyd are doing great so far, in the 'what-the-hell-is-that-sound-I've-never-noticed-before' department.

I won't specific producers, just artists and albums that have great production.

OK I'll name one producer. Brian Eno. He's a genius. Other than that...

Peter Gabriel's albums have incredible production. Listen to the album Up. It's full of so many crystal clear sounds that fit together in a strange and perfect way. Us is another example. The music slides and flows in such a soft way it's hard to describe. I've never heard anything like it.

Kate Bush's Ariel. Another crystal clear production that stays interesting.

The Who's "Who's Next". The production is miles ahead of it's time.

I'll think of more later.

Anything touched by Steven Wilson is sure to sound gorgeous at the very least.

Dream Theater's Images And Words sounds incredible too. Everything just falls into place perfectly for Pull Me Under.

NIN - Downward Spiral and Fragile
GNR - Use your Illusion (specially Estranged)

Also there is something about Death Cab for Cutie's "Plans" that always hits me, all the instruments sound sooo cool and complementing each other, very good IMO.

U2Man said:
what headphones? :hyper:

B00005QBU9.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sony MDR-V150...far from cutting-edge, but so much better than my old earbuds :drool:

hail to the thief's production is atrocious... i can't believe it's being mentioned as one of the best.

godrich did everything he could to stifle 2+2=5 (minus the payin' attention bit), backdrifts, go to sleep, punch up at a wedding, etc.

that's just my opinion :wink:

i think ok computer is fantastic in that regard.

agreed regarding brian eno. joshua tree is brilliant, that's hardly news.

I'd like to add in, simply for its amazingly creative production...

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

And anything Beck has ever released sounds amazing, with Sea Change being the best-produced, IMO. :drool:

Zoomerang96 said:
hail to the thief's production is atrocious... i can't believe it's being mentioned as one of the best.

godrich did everything he could to stifle 2+2=5 (minus the payin' attention bit), backdrifts, go to sleep, punch up at a wedding, etc.

thank you...I agree:up:...

Godrich really screwed the pooch on that one:down:

funny how things can be perceived differently.

are you sure its nigel's fault?

Personally, I always thought DSOTM suffered a bit from the bloated production, as well as the focus on that bloated production over the actual content of the songs.

I'm more of a Piper/Wall/WYWH fan myself. :)

U2Man said:
funny how things can be perceived differently.

are you sure its nigel's fault?

maybe not... maybe the band just really evolved the songs on a live setting.

but 2+2=5 should NOT sound like that after the paying attention part. that much i know.

(and i know almost nothing else)

I'm never sure with Pet Sounds whether it's the production or arrangements that makes it such an amazing listen

but it's always worth mentioning the album anyway :up:

Back
Top Bottom