Best lyricist [sic?]?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
angelordevil said:

But don't you realize that this is the best ode to pet neutering ever?:drool:

So deep, so deep...:sad:

Now that you mention it, yes! Or just any neutering in general! :drool: :snipsnip:

I will TRY to fix you

Vaccum%20The%20Cat.jpg

Emphasis on TRY

Jeff Tweedy

"it's my father's voice trailing off, sailors sailing off in the morning"

"Let's forget about the tounge-tied lightning, let's undress just like cross-eyed strangers, this is not a joke so please stop smiling..."

James Mercer -

"So we burned our uniforms, and let nature take it's course again"

"Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn, or a movie so crass and awkwardly cast, that even I could be the star"

"gold teeth and a curse for this town, were all in my mouth, only I don't know how, they got out dear, Turn me back into the pet, I was when we met, I was happier then with no mindset"

"when the kite-lines first crossed, we tied them into knots, to finally fly apart, we had to cut them off"

"One wound up punch of intuition, lays flat my whole take on us..."

"just a glimpse of an ankle and I, react like it's 1805"

angelordevil said:

:up: I want to see him live one day, preferably after I get my motorcycle and do a tour of Australia and New Zealand...hey, I can dream.

How about a motorcycle tour of Australia & New Zealand featuring a NF concert. :drool:

On Topic. Most of what I hear from Morrisey I have liked, although I don't seek too much of it out as I actually do quite enjoy life. :yes:

:up: james mercer does kick ass. i tend to forget that since i never can really understand what he's singing.

In no particular order:

Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
Elvis Costello
Bono (before ATYCLB)
Nick Cave
Patti Smith
Lennon/McCartney
Strummer/Jones
Morrissey

Last edited:
timothius said:

How about a motorcycle tour of Australia & New Zealand featuring a NF concert. :drool:

I'm there! It's damn cold here much of the time, but the people make up for it. I think you and Neil would love it here...:up:

Bob Dylan, easy. Game over.

Dylan is so widely, universally, massively, and almost unanimously regarded as the best lyricist ever that this question isn't even very interesting (no offense!) :)

Neil Finn WOULD own this thread if he didn't have a kitchen fetish.

Jim Morrison was responsible for the line 'his brain was squirming like a toad' so that rules him out.

To throw up a name, then, that hasn't been thrown up before (I think): Nick Drake. The lyrics aren't the greatest, perhaps, but they do evoke his setting very well (particularly 'At The Chime Of A City Clock').

Bob Dylan (in his prime)

The Boss (pre-USA)

Steven Malkmus (early Pavement only)

Lou Reed (Velvets)

Mr. Thom Yorke

That's a mix of some of the peeps I consider possible "bests" and others whom I just really, really love. I'd toss in Bono, but he only really has a few albums of truly outstanding (and even then, semi-erratic) lyrics--the last few years have sort of roughed up my categorization of his work.

But I think that Jeff Tweedy has the potential to be ranked on this kind of list if he keeps going like this. Props to others for recognizin', especially the "tongue-tied lighting" line from "I am Trying to Break Your Heart." Easily my favorite single phrase of the new century in print, song, or anywhere else.

Jack In The Box said:
Samuel Beam aka Iron & Wine
we have a winner

close this thread

I was really close to including him in my list on page 1

Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree writes great stuff, and Ian Curtis sure wrote some brilliant songs too. I also completely second Timo's mention of Neil Finn, and Bono created some incredible lyrics between 1984 and 1997.

i have trouble with trying to pick "the best" of anything, and i hate to be redundant, but i'm gonna go with fiona apple. she's a brilliant writer.

I definitely forgot about Leonard Cohen. :reject:

I think he's about the only one out there who can give Dylan a run for his money.

:hmm:

inmyplace13 said:

I was really close to including him in my list on page 1

lyrics of "Free Until They Cut Me Down" are beautiful

"When the sea takes me like my mother’s arms
I will breathe free as any word of God"

:drool: amazing!

I like many songwriters (Bono, Jeff Tweedy, Jamie Stewart, Sifjan Stevens, Devendra Banhart, etc.), but definitely Sam Beam is my favorite

Back
Top Bottom