Best Films of '07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RS743~Conan-O-Brien-Rolling-Stone-no-743-September-1996-Posters.jpg

I'm sure he'd approve.

Directors Guild of America nominees:

Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and The Butterfly
Joel & Ethan Coen, No Country For Old Men
Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton
Sean Penn, Into the Wild

That pretty much is sayonara for Tim Burton, who incidentally has never been nominated for a DGA or Oscar. And I'd say Ridley Scott and American Gangster are long shots at this point.

Believe it or not, in the last 3 years, the DGA nominees' films have matched up to the eventual Best Picture nominated films 14 out of 15 times. It's a pretty good barometer.

Nice.

But Atonement's gonna slip in somewhere.

So glad to see Jonny, D-Day, Chigurgh-in-my-pants, and No Country win the Critics' awards.

It's tough to say. Atonement was the perceived frontrunner before it was even released, but it's lost a lot of steam since then. No one's talking about it, and in addition to the lack of a DGA nom, it was completely shut out at the Screen Actors Guild noms. None for the individuals, or the ensemble (but 3:10 to Yuma did!).

If the Academy is going to go costume drama, it's very possible that Sweeney Todd could even sneak in before Atonement, as it was released more recently and is likely to get some costume and art direction notices.

lazarus said:
Directors Guild of America nominees:

Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and The Butterfly
Joel & Ethan Coen, No Country For Old Men
Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton
Sean Penn, Into the Wild

Replace Penn with Haynes and you've got a damn fine looking list.

I was thinking, would There Will Be Blood be considered the "period drama" that everyone in the Academy loves? That would be badass.

Then again, you guys know way more than I do about this sort of thing.

Anyone watching the Critic's choice awards? Are these being announced live now?

Either way, Jonny Greenwood just won for original score and "Falling Slowly" from Once won best original song over Eddie "I lose at the Critics Choice Awards" Vedder.

So, in that case:

!!!YES!!!

D-Day's "I want no one else to succeed" line gets me every time I hear it.

Can't wait to see him say it on a big screen.

They were broadcast last night, Lance.

Why are you watching VH-1, anyway?

Did you see Gone Baby Gone? Ryan is as deserving as anyone, including Blanchett.

Hahaha, the camera just panned to DDL and he was just clapping complacently looking down at his table thinking "Christ, I can't wait to get out of here"...

lazarus said:
They were broadcast last night, Lance.

Why are you watching VH-1, anyway?

Did you see Gone Baby Gone? Ryan is as deserving as anyone, including Blanchett.

VH-1 yeah, glad I'm catching them now though, since I didn't see the winners anywhere yet.

I did see GBG, but I thought she was merely decent.

But then again, what do I know, I think most women are lousy actors.

He's awesome in Mystery Men. Talk about underrated.

When did P.T. switch to Paul Thomas? Was it just before this movie?

I don't think he was ever officially credited as P.T. Anderson, but his name appeared as such in the opening credits of Boogie Nights, if I'm not mistaken.

If you look at the theatrical poster for Magnolia, it's his full name printed.

The trailer for Magnolia had "a P.T. Anderson film" and I think the trailer for Punch-Drunk Love did, too.

Oh, okay. I like Paul Thomas over P.T., kind of separates him from Paul W.S. (worthless shit) Anderson.

Interesting.

This is the first I've ever heard that he's gone by "P.T."

An fun bit of trivia is that Fiona Apple wrote the "When The Pawn..." album while she was in a relationship with P.T.

He also directed the video for "Limp" from that album.

I don't have the CD in front of me as I'm out of town, but doesn't the When The Pawn booklet have "pta" in a circle or oval on the back?

And in the credits of Magnolia, the film is dedicated to "fa" and two other initials which I think are his mother's.

Another (not really) interesting PTA fact: TWBB currently has the same score on IMDB (worthless fucks) as The Godfather, and it #48 at the moment on the IMDB Top 250 (the most infuriating list ever, but still, kind of neat).

Back
Top Bottom