Best 'Concert Opener' Song.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok i'll level with u. This thread was really only made so that I could use those smilies for a purpose - as I seem to be adding one or two after EVERY post I make at the moment!

Pls still feel free to comment tho..... :wink:

hmmm.

the recording of clannad doing "the foggy dew" works before any song i've seen the dropkick murphys kick into for the opener.

i'm drawing a blank. i have no clue.

IWasBored said:
hmmm.

the recording of clannad doing "the foggy dew" works before any song i've seen the dropkick murphys kick into for the opener.

i'm drawing a blank. i have no clue.

Definitely agree this is a very very cool way to start a show. Has a nice build, and then when the guys come out to "For boston", it has a very sick energy! DKM are great!

I have to say Politik was also very very cool. I remember seeing them at the Orpheum theater in boston before the last tour got huge. And when the song started, the white lights seeemed to face the audience more than at later shows, and I remember being slightly blinded for the verse because of how bright they were, and then just as I got vision back the chorus would come back in with those bright white lights to blind me again! Then I remember each time after I saw them, the lights werent as harsh, and I could actually see the band!! Had to share that with you guys. Found that rather funny.

Bri

A Perfect Circle - "Vanishing"

When Maynard is behind the drape and all you see is his shifting silhouette beating the hell out of that drum... :drool:

Honorable Mentions:
Coldplay - "Politik"
The White Stripes - "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground"
The Darkness - "Black Shuck"

Last edited:
I'm not what you'd call a Radiohead fan but I must say, 2+2=5 is superb, even though it wasn't actually the opener, but second song (on the boot that I have anyway).

I saw 2+2=5 open the show a couple times. Very Very cool. You have so much excitment built up for the show, that by the time
the song hits the chorus, the lights, the band and the energy take you out of control. Its quite cool!

The Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored
Even better live than on the record.

long road - pearl jam

they use like 50 different openers, but i prefer this one

edit* i checked every set list for their last north american tour... these are all the songs that pearl jam opened with, along with the times they opened the set list...

can't keep- 8 times
love boat captain- 7 times
of the girl- 7 times
release- 7 times
long road- 6 times
elderly woman behind the counter in a small town- 3 times
go- 2 times
arc- 2 times
sometimes- 2 times
oceans- 2 times
crazy mary- 2 times
wash- 2 times
i believe in miracles- 1 time
cropduster- 1 time
present tense- 1 time
do the evolution- 1 time
i am mine- 1 time
better man- 1 time
alive- 1 time
animal- 1 time
last exit- 1 time

Last edited:
actually, tonight the Manic Street Preachers opened with the opening song from Know Your Enemy, Found That Soul, which is pretty damned excellent as an out-and-out "we're here to rock" opener.

'Found That Soul' would indeed be a strong opener.

AFI opened with 'Miseria Cantare' which f-ing rocked. I also would like to cast a vote for 'Bulletproof Cupid' by Placebo. Both songs definitely set the tone for the evenings.

HeartlandGirl said:

AFI opened with 'Miseria Cantare' which f-ing rocked. I also would like to cast a vote for 'Bulletproof Cupid' by Placebo. Both songs definitely set the tone for the evenings.

:up:

Agreed.

'Lost' by The Cure rocked my socks.

RA-D said:
actually, tonight the Manic Street Preachers opened with the opening song from Know Your Enemy, Found That Soul, which is pretty damned excellent as an out-and-out "we're here to rock" opener.

I should've been going to see the Manics 2nite in Hammersmith...:madspit: :(

Aardvark747 said:

I should've been going to see the Manics 2nite in Hammersmith...:madspit: :(

yes, you should, they're on top/bowing out in style form. Go do some bartering with touts, it's worth it.

One of my favorites was seeing Rage Against the machine open up w/ Killing in the Name:rockon:

They followed that up w/ Bull on Parade....talk about instantaneous riot !

I got four number ones:
U2 - Zoo Station
Metallica - Battery
The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar
Bruce Springsteen - Badlands

:drool:

Honorable mentions: Black Sabbath - War Pigs and AC/DC - Thunderstruck! :rockon:

U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name or Love And Peace Or Else
Bruce Springsteen - Star Spangled Banner/Born In The U.S.A.
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Eric Clapton - Layla
The Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man

:rockon:

Genesis- "Mama", The Inivisible Touch Tour. That pounding drum line, the haunting synth keyboard, the driving bass....and then Phil gets all wicked and does the evil laugh! "Ha-ha-owwww!" Great opener for an under-rated band.

Honorable mentions:
Peter Gabriel- Come Talk To Me
Phil Collins- The Drum Duet
Sting- Fields of Gold

Back in 1990, I went to see Robert Plant on his Manic Nirvana tour, and the thing that stands out about that show was the beginning. It started with the song Watching You, which is the last one on the Manic Nirvana album. Bombastic drums that seem to go on forever before the song kicks in.

It was really cool.

u2 zoo station
coldplay - politik

i can't remember what opener it was when i saw radiohead. i think it was either 2+2=5 or there there...i can't remember.

-Daft Punk - The opening three minutes of 'Alive 1997' (live in Birmingham) are fantastic, and then it goes straight to 'Da Funk'...bloody amazing stuff.
-Radiohead - The Gloaming (Earl's Court 26th November 2003)

Queen- We Will Rock You(the fast version, of course)

INXS-Guns In The Sky

U2-Streets

and I agree about Pearl Jam-Long Road(effective to open with a slower song...it made this song one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs after they opened in West Palm Beach with it)

Back
Top Bottom