Best Beatles Song Survivor - 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' Draw - Round 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your LEAST Favorite Song

• Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With A Little Help From My Friends

• Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

• Getting Better

• Fixing A Hole

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • She's Leaving Home

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Within You Without You

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Lovely Rita

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • A Day In The Life

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
namkcuR said:
I'd be a coward if I didn't confess.

I will say this: I do not intend on doing this as a regular thing. It is not my wish to skew the results of the competition in any kind of way that would actually alter the end results of either this draw or of the competition as a whole. My reasoning for doing it this past round is not about playing favorites. There have been PLENTY of occasions already in the competition where songs have been eliminated when I felt they shouldn't have been, but I never messed with anything. This was more about several people who said things along the lines of 'I might as well vote for WYWY because it's getting creamed' or 'I guess I'll just add one more vote For WYWY'. Yeah, the people that voted for WYWY and actually said, 'I voted it off because I don't think it's as good as the others' outnumbered those who said 'I might as well vote for WYWY', but that doesn't change the fact that the 'I might as well' people represented to me a certain complacency, a lack of thinking with one's own mind.

If you're just going to vote for whatever is getting the most votes already, what's the point? I don't like that method of deciding a vote, I feel it takes away from the competition, and I wanted to make that point loud and clear. So yes, I used alters to give When I'm Sixty-Four the win. Yes, I am aware of the irony that I used one result-marring tactic to voice my displeasure over another result-marring tactic. However, this was a one round thing. I absolutely do not intend on continuing to do this, as I certainly don't want to skew the results of my own survivor. I'm not running the thing to get marred results. I did this in one round, and I got rid of a song that probably would've been the next to go anyway. That's my story. At least I'm owning up to it and offering an explanation.

The moral: Vote for whatever you think is the worst song left. Don't just vote for whatever looks like it's going to win. That's what upset me.

I appreciate you owning up to your little charade, but wow. :| You have to realise that people will always go along with the crowd. The sheep will always outnumber the rams. It's one of those things that makes us so delightfully human, whether you like it or not. Rigging a poll, even if only for one round, is far worse than a couple Interferencers submitting to the opinion of (what was in the former poll's case) the majority.

corianderstem said:
It's not so much that you did it, I mean if you had done it to be silly or stupid, or whatever, I mean we all do stupid shit on the internet.

But you did it to teach us a lesson, which is just :huh:

Not you. Not everybody. Seriously, it was only two or three people max that did what I was talking about. And I didn't like it so I decided to have some fun and make point, and I figured it wouldn't be a big deal because it's an early round of the draw and the song that got eliminated(When I'm Sixty-Four) was probably out in the next round anyway. That's it. There's no need to make a bigger deal out of it.

namkcuR said:

I haven't ruined any credibility because I'm not doing it again. You think I would continue to screw up my own competition?

That doesn't make up for it.

You just said that you screwed up your competition.

I brought up Tomorrow Never Knows because I thought that you might able to compare what I way feeling in response to your WYWY actions. I wanted TNK to win just as badly as you wanted WYWY to remain in the competition. Even though people in that thread were saying that they were voting to get TNK thrown out. I didn't let it bother me because as far as I wanted to guess, they were doing it one vote at a time. There was nothing to be done about that.
And even if there were alters involved, it wasn't as obvious as what you did. This afternoon, WYWY had about 9 votes and the others had about 3.

Thanks for being objective about the whole thing. It's just as great a feeling when your a Democrat handing in your voting card to a guy wearing a Republican t-shirt. There's this whole, "will he or won't he" thing.

Don't be surprised if more people pull out of this. You didn't have to stoop so low. :|

namkcuR said:

I figured it wouldn't be a big deal because it's an early round of the draw and the song that got eliminated(When I'm Sixty-Four) was probably out in the next round anyway. That's it. There's no need to make a bigger deal out of it.

Okay, but do you not see that you in turn made the same error by getting rid of When I'm Sixty Four? Within You Without You would have been eliminated in the early rounds just the same as it. It was clear from the very first round that a vast majority of the voters DID NOT like the song.

No, I know you didn't mean personally. It was a general "us."

And yeah, it's kind of a silly thing to make a big deal about, but what cheeses me off a bit is that you still sound like you're lecturing. You owned up for it, sure, but you aren't sorry about it. I don't see how you don't see why some people wouldn't think it's a bigger deal than you're making it out to be.

But I still want to participate, so I'll take you at your word that you won't do it again.

corianderstem said:

But I still want to participate, so I'll take you at your word that you won't do it again.

Same here. Your trustworthiness has definitely been taken down a peg, but whatever. I don't consider this a "stab" in the back. More like a "made you look!". :wink:

PlaTheGreat said:

Okay, but do you not see that you in turn made the same error by getting rid of When I'm Sixty Four? Within You Without You would have been eliminated in the early rounds just the same as it. It was clear from the very first round that a vast majority of the voters DID NOT like the song.

Look, I understand what you're saying. And you're right. And if the same people that voted for WYWY last round vote for it this round, it will be gone. And the same two songs will be out, just in reverse order. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. It wasn't my objective to piss people off. I don't ask any of you to understand what I did or the reason I did it, all I ask is that you don't stop participating in the competition because of it. That is all.

namkcuR said:

Look, I understand what you're saying. And you're right. And if the same people that voted for WYWY last round vote for it this round, it will be gone. And the same two songs will be out, just in reverse order. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. It wasn't my objective to piss people off. I don't ask any of you to understand what I did or the reason I did it, all I ask is that you don't stop participating in the competition because of it. That is all.

Well, I'll continue, but that really made no sense at all.

And you're assuming that When I'm Sixty-Four would've been next, but who knows what would've happened. As someone who voted for WYWY to go, WISF would not have been my next choice.

But I'll move on - obviously I'll be going for WYWY again.

I suppose that in the long run the meddling was not an issue, as ultimately neither WYWY nor When I'm Sixty-Four were going to emerge as the victor. However, it also seems as though there was quite a bit of politicking going on in the last round, which really is not fair to the competition either. Voting in a genuine fashion would behoove everyone, I think.
That said, I will vote for Mr. Kite again.

Yes, Mr Kite it is! I still like the song, but not as much as the others.

People, just don't use alters, k? It wrecks it for everyone else. 'Nuff said.

Now, I'm voting for Within You Without You, with Mr. Kite next time round.

It's like Jeff Probst throwing in a more pieces of paper into the tin/jar/vase/jug/box/whatever of who he wants to go.

I think you'll find that on the internet, people are unlikely to "go with the crowd" and are more likely to vote for what they genuinely want to be eliminated. Who would they be trying to appeal to? They're anonymous. I'll vote for who I want to go next (and if that means voting witht the aim of SAVING another song, so be it).

As much as I wanted WYWY to stay, fair's fair in democracy and that deserved to be eliminated last round. I kinda hope it'll be eliminated this time around, even though I've already cast my strategic vote...

What the blue hell is going on here? Talk or alters and rigged results? What is this, Florida? :wink:

I voted last time for WYWY and because I said that I was going along with the others my vote suddenly doesn't count?

I feel dirty.... :drool:

namkcuR said:
I'd be a coward if I didn't confess.

I will say this: I do not intend on doing this as a regular thing. It is not my wish to skew the results of the competition in any kind of way that would actually alter the end results of either this draw or of the competition as a whole. My reasoning for doing it this past round is not about playing favorites. There have been PLENTY of occasions already in the competition where songs have been eliminated when I felt they shouldn't have been, but I never messed with anything. This was more about several people who said things along the lines of 'I might as well vote for WYWY because it's getting creamed' or 'I guess I'll just add one more vote For WYWY'. Yeah, the people that voted for WYWY and actually said, 'I voted it off because I don't think it's as good as the others' outnumbered those who said 'I might as well vote for WYWY', but that doesn't change the fact that the 'I might as well' people represented to me a certain complacency, a lack of thinking with one's own mind.

If you're just going to vote for whatever is getting the most votes already, what's the point? I don't like that method of deciding a vote, I feel it takes away from the competition, and I wanted to make that point loud and clear. So yes, I used alters to give When I'm Sixty-Four the win. Yes, I am aware of the irony that I used one result-marring tactic to voice my displeasure over another result-marring tactic. However, this was a one round thing. I absolutely do not intend on continuing to do this, as I certainly don't want to skew the results of my own survivor. I'm not running the thing to get marred results. I did this in one round, and I got rid of a song that probably would've been the next to go anyway. That's my story. At least I'm owning up to it and offering an explanation.

The moral: Vote for whatever you think is the worst song left. Don't just vote for whatever looks like it's going to win. That's what upset me.

You're acting absolutely ridiculously.

http://forum.interference.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=5#30

In general, using alters to violate Forum Rules/FAQs, voting multiple times in polls, as well as other common sense 'no-nos' will result in the banning of the alters and possibly the banning of the original username. Remember that alters are a priviledge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom