Best Beatles Song Survivor - 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' Draw - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your LEAST Favorite Song

• Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • With A Little Help From My Friends

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

• Getting Better

• Fixing A Hole

• She's Leaving Home

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!

• Within You Without You

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • When I'm Sixty-Four

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Lovely Rita

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Good Morning Good Morning

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band(Reprise)

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • A Day In The Life

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet someone is messing with all of us, voting against the good songs and sitting back with amusement, watching us all froth at the mouth.

:tsk:

No, I don't mean that. I mean that maybe there's a shit-stirrer in our midst.

:shifty:

Or someone just doesn't care for A Day In the Life. It's possible!

:wink:

U2Man said:
sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band (reprise)

just because its unfair that the same song is represented twice.

That's the way I played it too.

I love all the songs -- I couldn't figure another way to knock one of them off.

This is gonna be a tough album filled with painful choices.

And Within You Without You is awesome. Epic. Exotic. Beautiful.

PlaTheGreat said:

Also, if you are going to vote off one of the title tracks, for God's sake, vote off the first one! The reprise is eons better. :mad:

Mmm, I agree. The intro is kick-ass. :drool:

When I'm 64 sounds like a theme song to a children's cartoon. Again, not a bad song, just IMO my least liked.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do by the time we get to Abbey Road. :( It's all so perfect.

Lancemc said:
I honestly don't know what I'm going to do by the time we get to Abbey Road. :( It's all so perfect.

4 words: Here Comes the Sun.

am i the only thinking that she's leaving home is way too good to be eliminated already?

It's a little too melodramatic for my tastes.

As for Abbey Road, I only hope the long medley on side 2 is counted as one song and not a ton of little ones, because that would just take too damned long.

I can hardly wait until we get to the White Album. That'll be hilarious. :lmao: I won't even know what to vote off, there's so much crap on it, especially CD 1.

Glass Onion
Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
Happiness Is A Warm Gun (yes, I personally hate this damn song)
Don't Pass Me By

:mad: :mad: :mad: All of these songs make me want to kick puppies. Ob-La-Di is straddling the fence. :angry:

corianderstem said:

As for Abbey Road, I only hope the long medley on side 2 is counted as one song and not a ton of little ones, because that would just take too damned long.

They should all be separate because if they were all combined, there would be no way it could lose. The Abbey Road Medley (YNGMYM through Her Majesty) is probably the single greatest piece of music in the rock catalog.

corianderstem said:

It will not be counted as one song. All 17 tracks will be represented.

And if you think that's long, wait until the White Album...each album will have only one representative in the final draw, so we can't do each disc of the White Album separately...so it's going to be one 30 song draw.

LemonMelon said:

They should all be separate because if they were all combined, there would be no way it could lose. The Abbey Road Medley (YNGMYM through Her Majesty) is probably the single greatest piece of music in the rock catalog.

I never liked counting Her Majesty as part of it. I mean, I know that when Abbey Road was originally being made that Her Majesty was really a part of the medley instead of just being tacked at the end, but I like thinking of the medley ending with 'and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make'.

I actually don't count YNGMYM or Sun King as part of the medley either. I mean, they're still part of the whole cohesive tension of Side 2, but the so-called "medley" is really just Mr. Mustard --> The End.

namkcuR said:

I never liked counting Her Majesty as part of it. I mean, I know that when Abbey Road was originally being made that Her Majesty was really a part of the medley instead of just being tacked at the end, but I like thinking of the medley ending with 'and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make'.

I don't mind counting it because I've always liked Her Majesty. :lol: Of course, it would sound a lot better ending with, you know, The End, but I'm a completist like that. :slant:

Lancemc said:
I actually don't count YNGMYM or Sun King as part of the medley either. I mean, they're still part of the whole cohesive tension of Side 2, but the so-called "medley" is really just Mr. Mustard --> The End.

I disagree. Sun King goes directly into Mr. Mustard with no obvious gap. If anything, you should cut the medley off after She Came In Through The Bathroom Window because there's clearly a gap there.

Lancemc said:

Well...musically that's wrong...YNGMYM was meant to be the start of the medley...the way you know this is that the melody of YNGMYM is reprised in the middle of Carry That Weight, the second-to-last song of the medley...it was meant to go full circle like that, and then into 'The End'.

You could also argue against that. YNGMYM and Sun King are two complete and seperate songs, must like all the preceeding album. Just because there's no gap between Sun King and Mr. Mustard doesn't mean it's part of a medley. It's just good album production. I mean, it's pretty stupid to even argue about this one way or another, because the whole second half of the album is only how it is because the band hated each other at this point and couldn't really finish all these songs they started. Thank God for George Martin.

But the reprise in Carry That Weight doesn't automatically include YNGMYM in the medley. Are we going to argue that the SGT Pepper reprise constitutes a full album cycle, so it's all one grand concept suite? I mean, not quite the same case, but you get my point. I'm just saying, if you added a one-second gap between YNGMYM, Sun King, and Mr. Mustard, the album would still sound perfect. If you did that with the real "medley tracks" it would sound horrible. That's because YNGMYM and Sun King aren't in the "medley".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom