Best All-Time Rock Songs as Chosen by Interlanders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best Song of All Time (Out of This List At Least)

• "Airbag," Radiohead

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • "Baba O'Riley," the Who

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • "Mrs. Robinson," Simon and Garfunkel

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • "Into the Mystic," Van Morrison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Where the Streets Have No Name," U2

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • "Stairway to Heaven," Led Zeppelin

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • "Alison," Elvis Costello

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • "One," U2

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • "In My Life," the Beatles

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • "Paint It Black," the Rolling Stones

• "Bad," U2

• Total voters

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Taken from the "best song of all time" thread, here are some songs mentioned more than once with particular enthusiasm.

Please pick one and don't be bitter that one of your original selections didn't make the list.

I picked Where The Streets Have No Name...

but airbag is a close second followed by One, Bad and paint it black...

I voted for Bad, but I could have voted for all of them. They're all great songs and I don't have a preference really. :shrug:

C ya!

Marty

I love all of those songs, but 'Stairway' is definitly the stand out for me.

This poll is rigoshdarndiculous because Baba O'Riley is clearly the greatest song ever. :angry:

me thinks this would be a great road-trip mix if all but one of the U2 songs were thrown out. :up:

i chose "airbag"

though i do think that "one" and "paint it black" are pretty close trailers.

i think that "airbag" {and the entire OKC album} released a new spin on an old genre on the public that was waning (that being the sound of crashing drums and thumping bass with melodical guitar and soaring vocals with lyrics that mean something). it was that guitar, bass, drums, vocals with a 5th element to it...something like ESP only more thematic. it's intangeable and undescribable. the bends was really just the 4 elements, but with OKC, that 5th element came into full effect and set the bar a little higher.

whereas "one" and "paint it black" were extraordinarily good pop songs, "airbag" and its cronies were introducing something new to the genre, and that gives it the brownie points it needs.

I was *this* close to picking 'Into the Mystic' by Van Morrison, but in the end my devotion to U2 won out and I picked 'One'. They're both incredible songs that touch the essense of the human spirit, albeit in slightly different ways. I cannot really say which is the better song, but for the purposes of this poll, I had to pick the one belonging to my favourite band.

Lilly said:
i think that "airbag" {and the entire OKC album} released a new spin on an old genre on the public that was waning (that being the sound of crashing drums and thumping bass with melodical guitar and soaring vocals with lyrics that mean something). it was that guitar, bass, drums, vocals with a 5th element to it...something like ESP only more thematic. it's intangeable and undescribable. the bends was really just the 4 elements, but with OKC, that 5th element came into full effect and set the bar a little higher.

nicely put.

airbag is simply the most incredible song. obviously, i chose it.

Lilly said:
released a new spin on an old genre on the public that was waning
ah, words that always make me grinch when people use it to explain why music is supposed to be great
(because of Nirvana really)

I voted Streets
because of the live version really
and because songs that I'd prefer weren't mentioned

Last edited:
*pats salome on the head

there there salome, one day youll understand the mystic magical harmonical ways of radiohead too. their elegance raptured by waves of guitars, synths and out of this world sounds can only be described as invocative, tantilizing and beautiful mayhem.

This was a tough choice. Every single one of the songs on the list is amazing. I finally chose "One" because - well, because it's perfect. If I were a songwriter, that's the kind of song I would want to write.

I haven't voted yet, because most of the songs are great......but "Allison"??????

come on, that song is in the league of "My Sherona", not "One", "Baba O'Reilly" and
Stairway to Heaven".:|

I voted for Stairway to Heaven.....try to listen to that song without tapping your foot, or singing along.....not to mention getting goosebumps.

One word...........Classic!

JOFO said:
I haven't voted yet, because most of the songs are great......but "Allison"??????

come on, that song is in the league of "My Sherona", not "One", "Baba O'Reilly" and
Stairway to Heaven".:|

How on earth can you compare "Alison" to "My Sherona," apart from the fact that both feature a girl's name in the title? :| "Alison" is one of the best songs from one of the greatest songwriters ever.

Bono's shades said:
How on earth can you compare "Alison" to "My Sherona," apart from the fact that both feature a girl's name in the title? :| "Alison" is one of the best songs from one of the greatest songwriters ever.

and kick ass live.....i agree that it's a great song, but not the best, imo...none of mine made the list, but hey, i never was the one to love the "classics" as much as the random ones...

well, I just happen to disagree as far as "allison" being ranked in the top 10 tunes of all time...no offense to elvis and his fans.

look, any list is arbitrary at best, and what matters is what is the best to you....so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

you know how many of those vh1 top "blah blah blah's" of all time I've watched and been like :scratch: ?

hey....there's people on THIS BOARD that think "one" isn't that great...(nut jobs).

i think one is a great song, but unfortunately for me, ive listened to it 9 million times and its lost its lustre. too bad i didnt know about other music when i was younger, because maybe then i wouldnt have overdone u2.

everything in moderation my friend.:yes:

*puts crack pipe down*:wink:

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:

this coming from an acdc fan.

reminds me of kids at school who hated wayne gretzky and said he sucked, just cause they didnt like him.
difference being that Gretzky ruled

I think your fascination with AC/DC is bigger than mine

:applaud: paint it black :applaud:

I'm weirdly pleased that it is appreciated by the folk in here. Weird as its not like I write it or anything (obviously der, but you know what I mean!), just great that it does to others what it does to me. I voted it simply because of all the songs on that list, it is one song I never tire of and is just as good (sometimes better) live, than in the studio.

What a song.

Back
Top Bottom