Best Albums of 2006?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anu said:

Another Jacket convert -- Blessed be!

Check out some of the friendliest forums (outside Interference, of course) at mymorningjacket.com

Where are you seeing 'em? I'll be at the Denver shows, Jan 12-13.

I'll be attending the Dec. 29th show at The Fillmore in SF. :drool:

Under The Iron Sea - Keane
(Quite simply, Keane are crafting the best pop songs to be heard in a long time. Chaplin's voice is positively breathtaking, particularly when backed by such contemporary and energetic music. Deserve more credit than they recieve)

The Eraser - Thommy Yorke
(If this were an official Radiohead album, I'd rank it better than all other albums except Kid A and OK COmputer. Some of these songs were reportedly floating around during Radiohead-proper studio sessions, and it is a shame that Cymbal Rush, Harrowdown Hill and The Clock never made it onto a Radiohead LP. That said, a cohesive and stunning collection of songs.)

Black Fingernails Red Wine - Eskimo Joe
( These Aussie blokes are awesome. Their past 2 albums were very cool indeed, and when Aussie rock is in such a crippling state at the moment, these guys are aptly filling in the huge void left by Motor Ace and the Oils. All tracks are mesmerising in their quality, and all have a real feel good factor. The title track was a rare, deserved success on the single chart.)

1. Black Holes And Revelations - Muse
2. Ta Dah - Scissor Sisters
3. Under The Iron Sea - Keane

I'm sure I forgot something but whatever, it's 3 o'clock in the morning.

In no particular order after the first one:

1. Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
2. Cat Power - The Greatest
3. Dresden Dolls - Yes, Virginia
4. Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
5. Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
6. Augie March - Moo, You Bloody Choir
7. Lily Allen - Alright, Still
8. David Gilmour - On the Island
9. Ground Components - An Eye for a Brow, A Tooth for a Pick
10. Joanna Newsom - Ys

This was a pretty slim year compared to the last one where I had maybe 20 albums to choose from.

These stand out for me:

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Bob Dylan - Modern Times
Neil Young - Living With War
Johnny Cash - American V - A Hundred Highways
Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
Scott Walker - The Drift

Bob Dylan * Modern times
Bruce springsteen * The seeger sessions (easily the best live show I saw this year)
Morrissey * Ringleader of the tormentors

1. muse - black holes + revelations
2. tv on the radio - return to cookie mountain
3. mogwai - mr. beast
4. mastodon - blood mountain
5. ghostface killah - fishscale
6. the strokes - first impressions of earth
7. secret machines - ten silver drops
8. neko case - fox confessor brings the flood
9. the roots - game theory
10. thom yorke - the eraser
11. t.i. - king
12. be your own pet - s/t
13. spank rock - yoyoyoyoyoyo
14. band of horses - everything all the time
15. yo la tengo - i am not afraid of you and will beat your ass

oops, looks like i didn't really read the first post in the thread. to make an amends, here are some of my highly quotable thoughts on my number one choice:

"black holes + revelations sounds like what would happen if freddie mercury, john bonham, and liberace formed a zombie power trio. in short, the most stupidly awesome (or awesomely stupid) album imaginable. and that is meant as high praise. even kiss think these guys should tone it down."

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
Audioslave - Revelations
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Tool - 10000 Days
RHCP - Stadium Arcadium
Thom Yorke - The Eraser

My top 5:

1. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
2. Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
3. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever...
4. The Strokes - First Impressions Of Earth
5. Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Endless Wire by The Who. That one is easily the best album I've heard this year. I would have to give second place to Yorke's Eraser.

In a year where i found little music with staying power, this is what I keep going back to.

Mute Math - my most exciting band in several years, especially live

Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies. Dan Bejar scares me and inspires me.

The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America. Addictive, arena-size classic guitar chops with some of the best lyrics being written today.

Lemonheads. Evan Dando was a staple in my stereo during the 90's, but his last solo album sucked. My hopes were not high, but this album gets better with repeated listens. This may be his best work.

Appleseed Cast - Peregrine. I just got this, so I don't know how it'll hold up over time, but it's good.

2006 wasn't really a memorable year in music for me, but there were a few noteworthy exceptions.
Pearl Jam's self titled album was great and I was glad to see them put out new music.
The Red Hot Chili Pepper's Stadium Arcadium was also really good.
Of course, there's no denying that Crazy by Gnarls Barkley was easily the song of the year.

My two favorites of 2006 were the new releases by
1. Kevin Federline
2. Clay Aiken

Who says 2006 wasn't a great year in music?
These are both classics

Last edited:
I'm late to the party, but whatever.

Tom Petty's Highway Companion is awesome. That album makes a case for its own presence on any best-of list, and nothing I could say would be stronger than listening to it.

My only genuinely new addition to the list would be Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death. This album is easily their best work since Number of the Beast. Of course, everybody has a thumb up their ass and never has anything good to say about anything remotely related to metal so they miss out on the good works when they do come along. While it make not be unique for uniqueness sake (which seems to be popular lately, but I would argue has extremely limited merit) it isn't purely rehashing things that have been done before, and the music isn't ostentatious and arrogant showmanship, although that isn't to deny its complexity nor the talents of the band. The album is lyrically strong, the vocals are dynamite, the songs work well as a cohesive unit which makes this a strong album, the songs stand strongly alone as singnles, and all the while do not sound like they're all the same song. This album is for Maiden what How To Dismantle an Atomic bomb was not for U2. Mind you, I doubt that less than 10 active posting members were even aware maiden released an album this year. :shrug:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
I'm late to the party, but whatever.

Tom Petty's Highway Companion is awesome. That album makes a case for its own presence on any best-of list, and nothing I could say would be stronger than listening to it.

Yep. I agree. Highway Companion is a fantastic album.

VertigoGal said:
No one's mentioned Begin to Hope by Regina Spektor.
Totally agree with you on this one ....I've only just discovered her and i'm totally captivated. Think it could have sneaked in as my cd of the year, that is alongside Damien Rice "9".

Other faves : Snow Patrol - Eyes Open and Grant Lee Phillips Nineteeneighties (I know Grant's is a collection of covers and hardly deserves to be in a 2006 list but what an amazing collection of 80's songs...absolutely loved it)

best albums of 2006 came from:

artic monkeys
muse
snow patrol
paolo nutini
the fratellis
kasabian
the zutons
richard ashcroft

me thinks anyhow! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom