Best 90's North American middle-of-the-road/post-grunge band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:

And what -- no Hootie?

: ducks to avoid thrown tomatoes :

Chief Wiggum: *takes out cassette*

Bart: Hootie And The Blowfish?

CW: Yeah. It's cheaper than blank tape.

Hey, remember when the main Hootie attempted a solo CD ... as a rapper?

Yeah, good times.

Poor Hootie. I feel bad for them. They seemed like a bunch of nice guys who had a fun bar band, stumbled into a record deal, and two years later, everyone hates them. :(

I remember when they played one of the MTV awards shows, and midway through whatever song they were playing, they stopped playing, raised their glasses, and toasted/thanked REM. I mean, how can you hate a band who loves REM? They had a lyric that said "he's the man I love the most / Stipe's not far behind"!

Alas, poor Hootie. I knew him well.

Automatic For The People is the record that many of these lame post-grunge bands attempted to make and they all failed. Automatic is a classic, full stop, and so many of the artists mentioned in this thread owe a great debt to REM.

At least HATB were open about it. :wink:

hootie_burgerking.jpg

LET HER CRYYYYYYYYYYYYY :sad:

Hey, if we're talking about pop/rock mid-90s American musical landscape, you HAVE to talk about Hootie.

Seriously, it's in the Constitution.

We the Hootie of the Hootie Hootie ...

Or was it that other one? Give us your tired, your hungry, your Hootie.

:hmm:

LemonMelon said:
Automatic For The People is the record that many of these lame post-grunge bands attempted to make and they all failed. Automatic is a classic, full stop, and so many of the artists mentioned in this thread owe a great debt to REM.

Now there's a timeless album. I got it for Christmas the same year I got my CD player. I'd say Out of Time and Monster also hold up much better than most if not all of the albums mentioned in this thread.

In what I can only now call a WTF pairing, I saw Radiohead open for Alanis Morrisette (I also got kicked in the head in the mosh pit during their set, though that's less important to this story). Looking back on that pairing now, I can only laugh.

I missed Radiohead opening for REM in 1999, thanks to crummy traffic between Aurora, IL and the World Music Theater. :grumpy:

I'm sure had I seen their set, I would totally love them now.

Or not.

:wink:

corianderstem said:
I missed Radiohead opening for REM in 1999, thanks to crummy traffic between Aurora, IL and the World Music Theater. :grumpy:

I'm sure had I seen their set, I would totally love them now.

Or not.

:wink:

That would've been godly :love:

It wasn't just the traffic. If my friend's brother hadn't drug his damned feet leaving his place, we might have caught them.

Pfft. Stupid people taking their stupid sweet time.

Can we please try and keep the disease that is Radiohead out of this thread please.

This thread is to celebrate bands who, for better or worse, are the antithesis of Radiohead.

If you haven't heard Gin Blossoms "Follow You Down", you haven't lived.

And you want a supergroup? Try "Long Walk Back" Co-written by one of the Rembrandts and Jesse Valenzuela of the Gin Blossoms.

And what about Tonic. They were quality. You Wanted More, Mean To Me, If You Could Only See, Open Up Yer Eyes.

1997 was a good year:
Cardigans -- Love Me
Space -- Female of the Species
Spacehog -- In the Meantime
The Verve -- Bittersweet Symphony
Sublime -- What I Got, etc. etc. (not sure if they belong on this though, but I love them)
Cake -- Going the Distance

The whole ska thing came back big time with No Doubt, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc. Loved it.

Also was into the swing revival with Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Cherry Poppin' Daddies. Loved that too!

Ahh... good memories!

intedomine said:
Can we please try and keep the disease that is Radiohead out of this thread please.

This thread is to celebrate bands who, for better or worse, are the antithesis of Radiohead.

If you haven't heard Gin Blossoms "Follow You Down", you haven't lived.

And you want a supergroup? Try "Long Walk Back" Co-written by one of the Rembrandts and Jesse Valenzuela of the Gin Blossoms.

And what about Tonic. They were quality. You Wanted More, Mean To Me, If You Could Only See, Open Up Yer Eyes.

I'm glad that disease called Radiohead blew all of these bands out of the water and helped make rock music relevant again. :up:

"Follow You Down" is a good song, it tempted me to see Gin Blossoms at the Holiday Inn they were performing at, but I had to pass.

Hey Jealousy is better than Follow You Down. It's a little slice of pop perfection.

For what it's worth.

Hey Jealousy came on over the intercom while pumping gas this morning and I thought, damn I just haven't lived in awhile, and then I realized it was probably just the gas fumes...

cstar said:

The whole ska thing came back big time with No Doubt, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc.

truly a dark age for popular music . . . even rap-metal was a welcome relief from that excrement

I'm gonna see Counting Crows, Live, and Collective Soul the end of July in Dayton, OH. I'm really looking forward to all three!

For some reason I always feel that Collective Soul are highly underrated.

LemonMacPhisto said:

extend that to 2007 and I think you're right. :up:

:up: A decade of torture.

No, actually, I think there have been enough great albums since 2001 to make those years bearable.

2002 - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot :drool:
2003 - Elephant :rockon:
2004 - Funeral :combust:
2005 - Demon Days :dance:
2006 - At War With The Mystics :wink:
2007 - Wincing The Night Away :)

Mainstream radio sucks, no matter what year it is.

Popular music, not awesome music though. No radio station in town plays good modern music, at all. I have to listen to the classic rock or mix stations whenever possible.

You're missing Kid A, bub :wink:

I've been on a huge Kid A kick recently, and it has finally occurred to me that it's nearly flawless.

ATYCLB has a dreadful 2nd half. :down:

Back
Top Bottom