Ben Folds "Landed"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I'm so fucking anxious for Songs for Silverman. Ben's 2001 album, Rockin' the Suburbs became one of my ten favorite albums of all time upon first listen... and it's still there. I have to think that Ben Folds is possibly the most underrated performer of his generation. He writes brilliant pop songs with stinging barbs. It's equal parts venom and sweetness, often at the same time. He put out 3 brilliant EPs (four if you count the one with Ben Kweller and Ben Lee) in the span of a year, and had more than enough material there for an album... but he only picked one (of at least 8 top notch songs out of the 15) for the new album. I would have preferred "There's Always Someone Cooler Than You" or "All U Can Eat" to "Give Judy My Notice," but...

Now that I've heard "Landed," and still have "Give Judy My Notice" on my list of best songs of 2003... I'm practically pissing my pants over this album. This is unusual for Ben as a first single, usually it's something smartass for the first single (see "Army" or "Rockin' the Suburbs"). And this is just a beautiful little pop song about lost love. So good for a change of pace in terms of the way he's presenting himself. I just hope he doesn't try to be *too* mature... I still get a real kick out of "Song for the Dumped" and "Rock this Bitch" :wink:

someone ran off with the radio station copy (already, it just came like 2 weeks ago :mad: ), so i don't think i'll be hearing it :down:

I've never actually heard a whole record, but I saw him open for Tori Amos a couple of summers ago and he was amazing. It's usually difficult for me to sit through an opening act when I am so excited for the main event but I was sucked in from the moment he sat down at the piano.

joyfulgirl said:
I've never actually heard a whole record, but I saw him open for Tori Amos a couple of summers ago and he was amazing. It's usually difficult for me to sit through an opening act when I am so excited for the main event but I was sucked in from the moment he sat down at the piano.

jasonccash@yahoo.com

Send me an email, if you'd like I could throw together a compilation for you, one disc of his stuff with Ben Folds Five and another of his solo work. :)

i have the ben folds five cd i dont recall th3e name "the autobiography of reinhold..."??? anyway, its surprisingly a great album i remember i used to hear the song "army" asnd dismissed them as some pop/punk band but i found this cd once at a park and gave it a listen and loved it. i believe there was only 3 people in the band which is amazing for the music they made.
i love narcolepsy and don't change your planes and many more.
i have most of 'rockin the suburbs' and it is also great:up:

his piano playing :drool:

"Brick" is a great song, but there's much much much better Ben to be heard.

If you like the sad, contemplative side of Ben, you have to at the very least hear "Mess"

joyfulgirl said:

:cute:
if you insist

Just want you to know that I didn't forget, I've got a tracklisting more or less together, I'm just waiting until I get back to campus to burn the CDs and ship them out. :)

Okay, so, yeah, Songs for Silverman is really, really, really fucking good.

I went out and bought it on my lunch break today (yes, I was a good girl and waited for the proper release). And I got a free 7" of "Landed" with it, too. :up:

ben folds :drool:

"the luckiest" is one of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard.

joyfulgirl said:

:cute:
if you insist

I realize it's been quite a long while since I told you I'd have these things to you... I haven't forgotten. But the CD player on my laptop is SHOT, so it's useless for burning stuff. BUT I'll be home in about 2 weeks, so I can then get you a really really good set on your way. With material from the new album, of course. :)

Here's the tracklisting i managed. Ben does some really great cover songs, but I cut them all out so I could focus on his songwriting and really just get HIS best stuff in. That said, he's done some great covers with BFF and solo. And also for the sake of space, I cut out the Fear of Pop album, which wasn't technically a Ben Folds album.

Disc One - Ben Folds Five

One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces
Philosophy
Air
Brick
Army
Your Redneck Past
Underground
Mess
Best Imitation of Myself
Emaline
Song for the Dumped