Beer, Devon Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey 'Ver, why did you want to repeat "Promenade" on your ideal UF tracklisting?

Promenade is subtle perfection.

I love 4th Of July too. It's just a nice little atmospheric meander that neatly links the outro of Promenade to the first notes of Bad.

OK guys, I'm about to start bitching soon. I can't believe how much of a disappointment this second half is.

Well, this was my point entirely. UV and Acrobat seem to be coming from such totally different places that mentally I cannot at all connect them, just like you cannot at all connect SBS and TTTYAATW. Or if you would prefer something from the same era, SBS and THBAO.

Okay. I understand what you're saying, but I don't see it that way.

Hey 'Ver, why did you want to repeat "Promenade" on your ideal UF tracklisting?

It's quite simple, really. I like it as an intro to UF, but I didn't want to break Promenade/4th/Bad (plus, Promenade also works well after UF), so I figured I'd have my cake and eat it too by using it twice!

1. A Sort Of Homecoming - New Age bullshit about snow. We knew you were on the stuff, Bono, but you didn't have to write about it/10
2. Pride - Stop trying to be Arcade Fire, you pack of fucks/10
3. Wire - "I'm no dope, I give you hope?" Ugh/10
4. The Unforgettable Fire - This came out in 1984? Why I am I not surprised?/10
5. Promenade - Twinkly/10

4th of July is nice enough, but unnecessary. Bass Trap is miles better. As is pretty much every other instrumental they recorded during that period.

Bad's kinda fuzzy too...maybe because I have new headphones and the volume up fairly high.

Why oh why did I waste all those years not liking Bad. God I was a stupid kid.

I've recently come to like 4th of July a lot more but i still think bass trap's better

Yeah, I can't comprehend why they didn't use Bass Trap.

And damn, words cannot describe how much I love Bad. :drool:

When I was 11-12, I'd repeat this all the time. And it's why I'm here today. Sure, the live versions are even more incredible, but the studio version is great in itself and has a special hold on itself. It is really a defining statement of the art of guitar minimalism.

If you...
Twist and turn away
If you...
Tear yourself in two again
If I could, you know I would
If I could, I would
Let it go...

Bad is a good song, but when you look at the lyrics, they're strange :lol:

Bad's kinda fuzzy too...maybe because I have new headphones and the volume up fairly high.

Why oh why did I waste all those years not liking Bad. God I was a stupid kid.

When it comes to the studio version of Bad, I agree with your younger self. Compared to the live versions, it sounds like a demo.

I hate the way I was when I was younger.

I wouldn't let myself like Bad because it was about drugs :banghead: but the live versions and the fact that I grew up sucked me back in.

Night, NSFW :wave:

1. A Sort Of Homecoming - New Age bullshit about snow. We knew you were on the stuff, Bono, but you didn't have to write about it/10
2. Pride - Stop trying to be Arcade Fire, you pack of fucks/10
3. Wire - "I'm no dope, I give you hope?" Ugh/10
4. The Unforgettable Fire - This came out in 1984? Why I am I not surprised?/10
5. Promenade - Twinkly/10
6. 4th Of July - ....Where's the song part?/10

I hope a remaster of this brings out the piano/synth? thing in the background I'm just now noticing for the first time

But it's not like it's positive about drugs.

Or even obvious.

I KNOW!

I've told you before though how fundamentally religious my family is (well not my mom and dad, but my aunts and uncles). I felt like anything close to bad I couldn't listen to. Songs effected by this included Bad, and Acrobat :banghead: Also the reason why I stopped reading At The End of The World

My problem with this version of Bad is that nothing propels it. It just floats around for 6 minutes. Larry disappoints me here. :(

It's quite simple, really. I like it as an intro to UF, but I didn't want to break Promenade/4th/Bad (plus, Promenade also works well after UF), so I figured I'd have my cake and eat it too by using it twice!

Oh okay, makes total sense. I love "Promenade," too. I would've been cool if they did a intro and outro versions of that song to keep that placement.

I usually put "MLK" before "Bad" and "Promenade" after, then "Love Comes Tumbling" as the penultimate track before "A Sort of Homecoming."

I KNOW!

I've told you before though how fundamentally religious my family is (well not my mom and dad, but my aunts and uncles). I felt like anything close to bad I couldn't listen to. Songs effected by this included Bad, and Acrobat :banghead: Also the reason why I stopped reading At The End of The World
Snap out of it :wink:

I took my Harry Potter book to church with me. I was such a rebel :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom