Beckham Signs $250 Million Dollar Contract to come to L.A. Galaxy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha....no doubt if you guys in the states got really into it, your league could possibly be the best in the world.

Hewson said:
$50 mil per season for a guy who doesn't even start currently for his team?

I'm sure the Galaxy and MLS must believe the money can be made up somehow...but really, how?
Is attendance gonna jump that much?
Are they gonna negotitate a TV contract that rivals even the NHL's cause of Beckham?
T-Shirt sales?
Spice Girl CD tie-ins?

It boggles the mind, is $50 mil per year more than the combined salaries of every other player in the league, maybe less Freddy Adu?

i checked the salaries at this site

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/mls/longterm/2006/mls.salaries.html

Adu only made 550,000 in 2006.

The entire league made slightly less than 27.5 million. Thats everybody in the entire league combined.

Now Beckham will make 50 million by himself? Something is screwy.

Since David Beckham got cut from the England World Cup team, US Soccer should be figuring out how to get him on the fast-track to US citizenship in time for 2010.

Of course, given the complete incompetence US Soccer showed in bungling Jurgen Klinsmann's candidacy for coach, I doubt they could ever pull something like this off.

^He really wouldn't help you guys much.

Chelsea's wage bill a few years back was about £115 million a year, probably a good bit over that now.....I think the Premiership's total is over £810 million.

What's soccer what this word means ? :eyebrow:
:scratch:

Anyway bout Beckham he got a good cross kick , good free-kicker , but is nowhere close to Juninho

I did see this coming long ago , as the guys of Deep Purple said in a interview talkin bout the World Cup , that Beckham was seen cryin when England lost to Portugal ........ "Yeah , He was cryin for the contract lost "

LJT said:
^He really wouldn't help you guys much.

Sure he would. Now all we need is a guy who can score with the ball (or, as Hubie Brown says, "score the ball"). And two good defensive midfielders. And three new backs.

Chizip said:

i checked the salaries at this site

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/mls/longterm/2006/mls.salaries.html

Adu only made 550,000 in 2006.

The entire league made slightly less than 27.5 million. Thats everybody in the entire league combined.

Now Beckham will make 50 million by himself? Something is screwy.

From an AP article:

The move was announced following the end of talks on extending the 31-year-old midfielder's contract with the Spanish club. MLS recently changed its rules on salary caps, clearing the way for Beckham to sign a lucrative deal. British news reports put the Galaxy deal at US$250 million.

Apparently he's the first player signed under the new rules, so maybe this will open the floodgates a little.

One thing to remember is that all teams are owned by the league, so there won't be any owners out there trying to up the ante.

LJT said:
Beckham's popularity in the Far East is a massive and I mean MASSIVE money-spinner.

I can attest to this. Massive may not even be the correct term,though. I was fortunate enough to be living in China when Beckham signed with Real Madrid. I kid you not, literally the day after the signing was announced I saw kids walking around with Real jerseys, and some with Beckham's name and number on the back.

Also, when I first landed in China the very first thing I was greeted with outside the airport was a MASSIVE Beckham billboard. And there were many more similar billboards around the Far East. I would say Beckham's face was more ubiquitous than Mao Zedong's in certain parts of the country.

sure it sounds like a lot of money, but for the league, if this makes soccer a success in america (which is what they are betting) this is spare change compared to the money they will make. imagine soccer replacing just one of the MLB, NBA, NFL trio in the top 3 sports list, the money would be rolling in.

the rockin edge said:
sure it sounds like a lot of money, but for the league, if this makes soccer a success in america (which is what they are betting) this is spare change compared to the money they will make. imagine soccer replacing just one of the MLB, NBA, NFL trio in the top 3 sports list, the money would be rolling in.

would never happen

i really dont think this signing will increase interest much at all, definitely not 250 million dollars worth of interest

Kind of the equivalent of a top Formula 1 driver being lured to NASCAR - except NASCAR is crazy popular and no one cares about footy in the Americas, still.

I might actually watch a MLS game or two this year so hey I'm all for this,

the common misconception with soccer/football fans from outside of the US is that we don't understand the sport and that's why we don't watch it.

not true. i get it. i just don't like it.

the only pro league in the states that the MLS has even a snowballs chance in hell of competing with is the NHL... and if they even get that big, it'll be a miracle.

overtake the nba, mlb and especially the NFL? not bloody likely. the NFL makes more money than god.

the rockin edge said:
imagine soccer replacing just one of the MLB, NBA, NFL trio in the top 3 sports list, the money would be rolling in.
Snowball, welcome to hell...hey where'd you go?

20-25 years ago when youth soccer leagues started popping up in every town in America, people predicted soccer would become extremely popular in the US...more kids playing youth soccer than even Little League..cause all they have to do at 5 years old is run around and try to kick the ball and the parents are amused.

If the sport didn't take off here when Pele played professionally in NY in the 70's, no chance it takes off when Penis Spice starts playing in LA.

I play soccer in America and the problem is even die hard soccer fans will admit most of the talent in the world goes to Europe. Even we americans work hard to get there...

But I will pay money to see Beckham play.

As far as Beckham vs Pele. the movie wasn't called "Bend it like Pele." To be honest, I didn't ever see Pele play. Whereas, I've seen Beckham play. To a non-soccer fanatic, Beckham might have the bigger name. And that just might get more fans out to watch Soccer.

Little known fact, did you know Chad Johnson, or Ocho Cinco, of the Cincy Bengals played both football, and futbol. College came and he had to decide between the two.

Chizip said:

would never happen

i really dont think this signing will increase interest much at all, definitely not 250 million dollars worth of interest

The signing will generate much more than $250 million globally, in sports paraphanelia alone.

In the short term it will generate interest in the sport across the US, or at least in the cities that have franchises. But, on it's own, the Beckham signing will not have much of an impact on the sport in the U.S.

However,what may happen, in the long term, is that more and more world-class players will follow Beckham's lead and come to North America. If Beckham has success players will regard MLS as a viable career option. Of course, if he flops then the status quo will prevail.

If more world-class players cross the pond this will have a huge impact on American soccer. For one, it may encourage the best American players to stay home rather than seeking employment in Europe. And two, the players that are already here will have the advantage of playing with better athletes which should, theoretically, allow them to grow and become better players themselves.

Everyone looks at the money, and it is an astronomical sum, but time is what is needed to accurately judge this deal. I, for one, will wait before judging the merits of this deal.

Hewson said:

If the sport didn't take off here when Pele played professionally in NY in the 70's, no chance it takes off when Penis Spice starts playing in LA.

But where I live, soccer is huge! I'd say high school sports goes basketball, soccer, then football.

As far as youth here in West Michigan, Soccer seems to be the largest and still growing sport that is signed up for. I know it's just one area but I keep thinking of answers like Headache. He just doesn't like the sport. I hated it too as a kid. Now I love it and play it more than I play basketball, which was my favorite sport.

All I'm saying is in Headache and my lifespan of 25 years, soccer has gone nowhere in N. America. But if the youth are playing it and enjoying it now more than before, we could see a change.

I do think also that it would be nice and helpful to see more soccer on TV. But hey, golf is great action too. :sigh:

BonoManiac said:

The signing will generate much more than $250 million globally, in sports paraphanelia alone.

In the short term it will generate interest in the sport across the US, or at least in the cities that have franchises. But, on it's own, the Beckham signing will not have much of an impact on the sport in the U.S.

However,what may happen, in the long term, is that more and more world-class players will follow Beckham's lead and come to North America. If Beckham has success players will regard MLS as a viable career option. Of course, if he flops then the status quo will prevail.

If more world-class players cross the pond this will have a huge impact on American soccer. For one, it may encourage the best American players to stay home rather than seeking employment in Europe. And two, the players that are already here will have the advantage of playing with better athletes which should, theoretically, allow them to grow and become better players themselves.

Everyone looks at the money, and it is an astronomical sum, but time is what is needed to accurately judge this deal. I, for one, will wait before judging the merits of this deal.

Even if all the best players in the world played in the MLS, it still wouldn't generate much interest in the US.

Popularity in the US rankings:

NFL
MLB
NBA
Nascar
NCAA basketball
Golf
WWE Wrestling
NCAA Football
World Series of Poker
Celebrity Poker
Indy Car racing
NHL
Tennis
NCAA Hockey
MLS Soccer

Projected Popularity in the US rankings after Becham's arrival:

NFL
MLB
NBA
Nascar
NCAA basketball
Golf
WWE Wrestling
NCAA Football
World Series of Poker
Celebrity Poker
Indy Car racing
NHL
Tennis
NCAA Hockey
MTV Rock and Jock basketball reruns
MLS Soccer

Got Philk? said:

All I'm saying is in Headache and my lifespan of 25 years, soccer has gone nowhere in N. America. But if the youth are playing it and enjoying it now more than before, we could see a change.

I do think also that it would be nice and helpful to see more soccer on TV. But hey, golf is great action too. :sigh:

This is a really funny article about why soccer isn't popular in the US.
But at about age 10, something happens to the children of the United States. Soccer is dropped, quickly and unceremoniously, by approximately 88 per cent of all young people. They move onto baseball, football, basketball, hockey, field hockey, and, sadly, golf. Shortly thereafter, they stop playing these sports, too, and begin watching these sports on television, including, sadly, golf.

link http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,1741375,00.html

Copied from another board during the World's biggest sporting event, the World cup.

I don't agree with all of it, but some excellent points as to why soccer isn't more popular in the US

"Actually, the football worls should rejoice in the non-acceptance by
the general US public.

We have it so good right now here in the US.

I can see every game (the DVR is a truly wonderful thing) unlike when I
first moved here, and it is still relatively unspoiled unlike the
"home" sports. 2 of those sports had their eternally long
"championships" over the last 2 weeks, I barely noticed.

Mass US acceptance of Football would just ruin it fo rcommercial
reasons. Think "Champions plus runners-up league" style commercial
influence and quadruple it.

See, in US sports, the biggest factors are: "How many games can we have
?" and "How many commercials can we fit in ?" The whole set up of all
the major sports in the US have been changed by TV.

Playoffs are expanded to include teams sometimes who have lost as many
games as they have won

Rules are changed to make the games have more breaks ("2-minute
warning", "7th Inning stretch", etc)

TV timeouts making 40 minute games about 3 hours. American Football for
example is a 60 minute game, with 30 minutes of action stretched out to
3 and a half hours. Talk about time-wasting, it's full of it, 45-second
play clocks being taken down to the last second before every play, I've
been to live games, it's mostly a bunch of guys standing around doing
nothing interrupted with some occasional action. unlimited
substitutions, different players on offense vs. defense. The governing
body actually has rules on how high the socks should be and ensuring
the players don't actually celebrate scores. And the
officiating.........makes Soccer referees look infallible, and that's
WITH instant replay available to them and about 5 of them on the field
!

Baseball - What a sham. Biggest story is steroids. Games move so slowly
they need entertainment (people in silly costumes running around the
track once in a while) to make it palatable to the paying consumer.
Again, it's about how many commercials and beers can be sold. If
they're not on strike that is. The baseball fan who decries soccer for
being low scoring will be the first to call a 1-0 game a "classic".
Classic. Officiating is again terrible, every umpire has their own
mythical strike zone. A viewer has no way of knowing if a ball is a
strike or not, the relevant area is ONLY in the umpire's head, and he
changes is at necessary depending on the star power of th eplayer. Yes,
american sports are sure into fair play.............

Basketball - Played by mostly genetic freaks. The only game where a
team who is down is TOLD to deliberately foul. Yes, fair play again.
Unlimited substitutions, timeouts on a whim. Poor officiating. Belly
flops when a big guy hits a little guy (sound familiar ? )

Oh, and let's not even get started on the hypocritical money-making
sham that is the NCAA.............fair play my ass..........

No, things are fine the way they are with Soccer. Let's NOT try and get
mass US acceptance, let's NOT have rule changes to include more TV
stoppages, and a 128-team World cup every 6 months."

Got Philk? said:
As far as Beckham vs Pele. the movie wasn't called "Bend it like Pele."

6305279268.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091219/

:wink:

as hard as it is to belive, many americans simply find soccer/football to be boring. and it doesn't matter how many big name soccer stars come to the MLS. we still, as a whole, find it boring. all the big name ice hockey players come to the NHL... it gets lower ratings than women's college softball.

just like many find baseball and american football to be boring.

so you guys keep soccer/football, and we'll keep baseball and american football, and we'll all be the happy for it.

now the NHL was huge in the USA when gretzky and lemuiex played. why? they were dynamic offensive players. if a player of the level of pele or beckham came to the MLS in their prime? maybe... maybe you'd have a chance. but a guy that most soccer/football fans consider to be well past his prime? i doubt it.

also, i've seen more of my fair share of soccer in my life time... my sister was a division 1 soccer player. so on top of the hundreds of her games i've seen, i've seen plenty of men's D1 games as well (doubleheaders and such).

is it at the high level of the leagues in europe? of course not... but i can enjoy a good high school basketball game, despite it not being at a high level. i can enjoy a good college baseball game, or a good college football game... soccer on any level simply makes my eyes bleed. no disrespect meant, it's just my own personal opinion. and it's shared by many here in the states, and will likely never change.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

Even if all the best players in the world played in the MLS, it still wouldn't generate much interest in the US.

i think there is a big market for soccer (futbol) in los angeles and california

radio ratings for L A

5 of top ten stations are Spanish language

Soccer is infinitely more exciting than Baseball and somewhat more exciting than American Football.

And Basketball kicks all their asses.

:wink:

toscano said:
Copied from another board during the World's biggest sporting event, the World cup.

I don't agree with all of it, but some excellent points as to why soccer isn't more popular in the US

Yes, we all saw that article during the World Cup. However, the author's "arguments" are completely unable to explain why soccer isn't very popular in China and India, the world's two most populous countries (especially India, given the history of British colonialism).

The simple fact is that soccer has had almost no competition for supremacy over the last century in Europe, South America and Africa (though basketball is slowly taking a foothold), whereas it faces fierce competition in other countries like the USA, Canada, China, India, Australia, etc.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Yes, we all saw that article during the World Cup. However, the author's "arguments" are completely unable to explain why soccer isn't very popular in China and India, the world's two most populous countries (especially India, given the history of British colonialism).

The simple fact is that soccer has had almost no competition for supremacy over the last century in Europe, South America and Africa (though basketball is slowly taking a foothold), whereas it faces fierce competition in other countries like the USA, Canada, China, India, Australia, etc.

Well, having been in China during a major soccer tournament, (EURO 2000) I can tell you it certainly DOES capture the local interest and is extremely popular, lots of huddling around TV's on flatbed trucks in the middle of Shanghai in the wee hours, lotsall games live on TV, etc. Why would you say it's not very popular there ? Same in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, etc.

India ? Cricket fanatics. The european colonialism certainly left it's mark big-time. For whatever reason they took to it a lot more so than soccer.

Got Philk? said:
Toscano,
Good point with the article. I will hush about soccer on tv and keep watching games on the compy.

I like how it is now: Popular enough to guarantee coverage of all the big events, weekly games, etc. Not so big as for American TV companies to fuck it up.

Beckham is waayyyyyy overrated except in dead ball situations.

Back
Top Bottom