Beck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannabe

War Child
Which is Beck's paramount album thus far the ride?

The Information - 2006
Guero/Guerolito - 2005
Sea Change - 2002
Stereophonic Soul Manure - 2000
Midnight Vultures - 1999
Mutations- 1998
Odelay - 1996
Mellow Gold - 1994
One Foot in the Grave - 1994

My grave would be on The Information, his latest. I am a huge fan of Sea Change and Guerolito, but The Information is amazing. What do you think?

I only have Odelay, Mellow Gold, Sea Change, and some random other tracks, because I am a bad person. But of those Sea Change is actually probably my favorite, definitely my most listened to one anyway. Maybe that makes me super mellow or something, but really I love that album. :heart:

wannabe said:
Which is Beck's paramount album thus far the ride?

The Information - 2006
Guero/Guerolito - 2005
Sea Change - 2002
Stereophonic Soul Manure - 2000
Midnight Vultures - 1999
Mutations- 1998
Odelay - 1996
Mellow Gold - 1994
One Foot in the Grave - 1994

My grave would be on The Information, his latest. I am a huge fan of Sea Change and Guerolito, but The Information is amazing. What do you think?

Uhhhh, Stereopathetic was released in 1994...and you're also missing A Western Harvest Field By Moonlight, Banjo Story, Fresh Meat and Old Slabs, Golden Felings, Golden Leftovers, Don't Get Bent Out of Shape, and the untitled album from 1992.

But whatever. It's all good. Midnite Vultures will always be king, no matter which albums are or aren't included. It's as close to perfect as ever Beck will get.

... thanks for making me feel pretty low in what was originally a positive post. It is know-it-all's like you that keep this globe a-spinning!

Thanks man!!! LOLZ LMAO ROFLROFL!!!!!11!!112!1

j/k j/k j/k j/k j/k

I think that's pretty impressive that you know this information. I've never heard of these albums... care to enlighten?

about the wherabouts that you knew those albums existed?

:) :) :)

my favourite is One foot in the grave followed by Odelay and Stereopathetic Soul Manure

what I heard from his latest album he sounds quite back on form again :up:

"LRIA" ETA 2007

From Smithfork:

Beck's next album,"LRIA" (an acronym for L. Ron Is Awesome) which has a planned March 2007 release, has the Hollywood undeground buzzing that it's his most spiritual and inward looking record. Most of the record deals with his fear of Xenu, the intergalactic warlord who destroyed so many good aliens, so many millions of years ago. "Force Field" is a beat heavy narative of appreciation from Beck to the everlasting, magic force field that keeps the evil Xenu locked up on a planet very far, far away.

"DC-8" is a folk ballad that tells of the horrible journey so many souls took to Earth before they were destroyed on the edges of volcanos by Xenu's Hydrogen bombs. The track was co-written by fellow scientologist Jason Lee (of the popular tv show "My Name Is Earl").

The early album demos have had such an impact on leading man Tom Cruise, he's planning on adapting it into a full screen-play abut being a dip-shit Scientologist. Jesus Christ, these people have children. What the fuck?

If you shout..., that was a rude response by me, I apologize. And now I really need you Beck insight more than ever because I'm looking a Beck show from 1996 that was recorded for Canadian TV. Do you have any idea what the date may have been on this???

Mr. Brau, interesting you mention that. Last night my roommate and I researched Scientology for about four hours... I never knew Beck was a Scientologist. Wonder what his fan base as a whole will think of this?

wannabe said:
If you shout..., that was a rude response by me, I apologize. And now I really need you Beck insight more than ever because I'm looking a Beck show from 1996 that was recorded for Canadian TV. Do you have any idea what the date may have been on this???

Mr. Brau, interesting you mention that. Last night my roommate and I researched Scientology for about four hours... I never knew Beck was a Scientologist. Wonder what his fan base as a whole will think of this?

The Scientology thing is old news, actually. The hardcore fan base has known about it since his first lackluster album, 2002's boring-as-shit (though with a few mind-blowing songs, yes!!!) Sea Change. After that relationship ended, he returned to the church. More and more people have been catching on since then as he has released even more boring albums. A few weeks ago, I mistakenly said that The Information was listenable. Oh, how wrong I was...!!!!! Yikes.

Anyway...I'm not totally sure about the show you're talking about. I've got a boot from a June 5, 1996 show which took place in Toronto, so that could well be it. Aside from that, I'm not aware of any 1996 Canadian Beck bootlegs in existence other than one from August 21. I could be wrong, but I dunno. I don't think I've ever heard the August one, but I may simply have deleted it if it wasn't to my liking. Not sure.

As for the other albums, both A Western Harvest Field by Moonlight and Golden Feelings were "real" albums, so to speak. Pre-K Records, those. The other stuff is made up mostly of homemade tapes which he made up during his anti-folk days. If you've any other questions, I'd be happy to answer in more detail. As it stands, I don't really know how much you or anybody else wants me to ramble on and on and on, here...

:wink: I'm the Beck man here.

MV is Beck's best album, simple as that. No filler, all fun, lots of sex, good stuff. :up:

Sea Change is second. An absolutely stunning heartbroken achievement. I love it. :up:

Odelay is great too, but has some filler.

The newest one, The Information (my review here: http://www.epinions.com/content_266609725060) is brilliant also. Don't miss it.

Really, of the widely-circulated Beck albums, my least favorite is Mutations. It just doesn't work. :down:

And enough Scientology garbage. It's getting old. :madspit:

If you shout..., thanks for the info.

This might sound weird, but I like the sound of The Information, I just don't know I can bring myself to listen to it after hearing this stuff. I know that's as logically as a hungry kid scarfing down dinner only to realize it's chicken livers... and stop. I guess I just can't agree with Beck's path, especially after reading much of the stuff I researched on Scientology two days ago.

Thanks for trying to help me with the recording date... Hopefully it'll appear in the disc menus.

Now I am going to sound like a moron because I've heard of "A Western Harvest Field by Moonlight". I actually have a bootleg of his, pretty rare I guess, and I do't know the info on it. I can find it sometime later... I was in a downloading flurry and wanted to get it for a friend of mine who's a bigger Beck fan than me. I don't remember the title - but it was demo tape material.

wannabe said:
If you shout..., thanks for the info.

This might sound weird, but I like the sound of The Information, I just don't know I can bring myself to listen to it after hearing this stuff. I know that's as logically as a hungry kid scarfing down dinner only to realize it's chicken livers... and stop. I guess I just can't agree with Beck's path, especially after reading much of the stuff I researched on Scientology two days ago.

:( Your post makes me very sad.

Well, it's the argument I'm having with myself...

I like the albums... so why quit listening, right?

But after reading a Penthouse interview with L Ron's son, I have trouble grasping the progressive good of the belief when it seems there is much evil deep-seeded within. Helping people is one thing, taking their money is another. Mirrorball-Man Bono taught us that.

Ultimately, I'm going to continue listening to all the Beck albums I've enjoyed, but I'm going to now have a much different perspective on them... Sorry my previous post saddened you, call me close-minded... I don't know...

wannabe said:
Well, it's the argument I'm having with myself...

I like the albums... so why quit listening, right?

But after reading a Penthouse interview with L Ron's son, I have trouble grasping the progressive good of the belief when it seems there is much evil deep-seeded within. Helping people is one thing, taking their money is another. Mirrorball-Man Bono taught us that.

Ultimately, I'm going to continue listening to all the Beck albums I've enjoyed, but I'm going to now have a much different perspective on them... Sorry my previous post saddened you, call me close-minded... I don't know...

I agree with your views on Scientolgy, it just bothers me that someone would hear the music differently because of it.

I'm on a Beck message board where Beck's bassist posts, and he confronted the question by saying

Hi Guys,

Just popping in on this one before I get the rest and answer them later:

There are no concious or overt references that I'm aware of to Scientology, and I'd consider myself pretty deeply attuned to Beck's writing. It's just an assumption people are making....Beck's a Scientologist, so he's going to be writing about it. The simple fact is: I feel he's just too subtle for anything that overt. And I certainly wish that people (journalists) would stop silly presumptions that Spike and Dave's conversation on Horrible Fanfare/Exoskeleton is some sort of veiled Scientology dogma...not very bright of them, particlarly if they know the story of how their dialog came about.

Thanks!
JMJ
http://www.stewoo.net/beck/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=3759&st=750

I hope that answers your questions. :)

wannabe said:

This might sound weird, but I like the sound of The Information, I just don't know I can bring myself to listen to it after hearing this stuff.

If you stop listening to/watching people just because they're Scientologists, you may start missing out on a lot of good stuff.

It's not like they're Nazis, you know.

MrBrau1 said:
"LRIA" ETA 2007

From Smithfork:

Beck's next album,"LRIA" (an acronym for L. Ron Is Awesome) which has a planned March 2007 release, has the Hollywood undeground buzzing that it's his most spiritual and inward looking record. Most of the record deals with his fear of Xenu, the intergalactic warlord who destroyed so many good aliens, so many millions of years ago. "Force Field" is a beat heavy narative of appreciation from Beck to the everlasting, magic force field that keeps the evil Xenu locked up on a planet very far, far away.

"DC-8" is a folk ballad that tells of the horrible journey so many souls took to Earth before they were destroyed on the edges of volcanos by Xenu's Hydrogen bombs. The track was co-written by fellow scientologist Jason Lee (of the popular tv show "My Name Is Earl").

The early album demos have had such an impact on leading man Tom Cruise, he's planning on adapting it into a full screen-play abut being a dip-shit Scientologist. Jesus Christ, these people have children. What the fuck?

I thought Beck was actually making fun of scientlogy until I got to the last paragraph.

Scientlogy is consuming all of my favorite celebrities.

Did you guys know Jeffrey Tambor is a scientologist?

:sad:

martha said:
If you google "LRIA Smithfork" the only thinbg that comes up is this thread. :eyebrow:

That's cause this thread is the only place on Earth where "LRIA Smithfork" exists, besides me head. I made it up. It's all original. One of a kind. And you've all been a part of it.

Ain't that amazin?

Back
Top Bottom