Beauty is not only skin deep...it's vertically tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
from http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020108/od/france_dc_1.html

Rival Says Miss France Too Short to Carry Crown

PARIS (Reuters) - Last time it was sex and this time it's size that counts in a feud over who should be Miss France.

A disappointed contender for the title of France's prettiest woman feels she was unfairly disqualified from the Miss France 2002 contest.

Aurelie Brun has demanded that legal experts check whether winner Sylvie Tellier reaches the requisite minimum height of 5 feet 6 inches.

``I want to be sure she's tall enough and I would be surprised if she is,'' said Brun, who was stripped of her crown as a regional beauty queen and subsequently disqualified from the national contest last December.

``I've heard from lots of girls who knew her (Tellier)... and they told me she must only be around 1.68 meters (5 feet 5 inches),'' Brun told the daily France Soir.

The title is no stranger to nasty feuds and gossip. France's leading beauty queen impresario was forced to publicly deny a whirl of rumors in the media last year that Miss France 2001, Elodie Gossuin, had in fact been born a man.

Brun, who falls short of the height requirement herself, seems to be fighting a lost cause to get Tellier to undergo re-measurement.

``It's out of the question,'' Miss France organizer Genevieve de Fontenay told the paper.

Brun was not ruled out of de Fontenay's contest merely for being a bit on the short side. She was also excluded for taking part previously in a rival pageant.

Originally posted by zonelistener:
I guess size does matter!

It's all about how many inches ya got.
tongue.gif

I love how supporters of beauty contests try to stress the point that they not just judge on looks anymore, but "judge" a person's intelligence, ability to speak in public, etc..

But we all know that's a crock - it's all based on looks and although this organization has the right to discriminate someone based on height because pageantries are privately funded, it does quite a job at making too many people feel inadequate in the looks department. And when you have 2 people (one in particular who is claiming the charges) fighting over an otherwise insignificant title such as this one, the basis that a person is "too short" to wear a crown is just ludicrous.

The judges cast their votes, the popularity contest was won, and the jealous women should shut up about it. Those that don't and depend on malicious speculations on a person's height shouldn't have bothered competing in the first place. They knew the nature of the game, then again they probably weren't judged according to the brain in their skull either.
wink.gif

damn skippy, adam's mistress. Couldn't have said it better myself. Talk about ridiculous. *shakes head*

Originally posted by Diemen:
Hmmm....vertically tall...

As opposed to horizontally tall?
biggrin.gif

(I know, I'm an ass
wink.gif
. But I'm bored!
biggrin.gif
)

lol! You know, they have a pageant that beautifies all that is... horizontally tall.

I'm not making this up. I think it's the Miss Elephant Pageant or something like that, in Thailand - and the people love it! It also gives the women in the pageant an opportunity to to strut their stuff and be proud of who they are on the outside. I kind of think it's cool actually, as far as beauty pageants go (and I really don't care for them as a whole) In a world where so much emphasis is put on being tall and slender, people overlook that beautiful women come in all sizes.

Heh. Well, not like you've got any worries in the height department, anyway
wink.gif

true.
tongue.gif

Gina, you and I are the same height it sounds like!
biggrin.gif
Let's go invade french beauty contests!

My original anal-retentive point was that vertically tall is redudant
smile.gif
. Tall refers to height already, so vertically isn't needed.
And following that line, horizontally tall just doesn't make any sense.
biggrin.gif

Yikes, and I wasn't even an English major. Boredom can do weird things to you...
wink.gif

My original anal-retentive point was that vertically tall is redudant
smile.gif
. Tall refers to height already, so vertically isn't needed.
And following that line, horizontally tall just doesn't make any sense.
biggrin.gif

Yikes, and I wasn't even an English major. Boredom can do weird things to you...
wink.gif

Yeah, I was actually looking for another word when I wrote it. I think I had "vertically challenged" in my head and somehow spit it out wrong.
tongue.gif

*bonks self on head*

Diemen, I thought you were friggin' gorgeous.
confused.gif

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 01-09-2002).]

I guess the French love tall chicks. At least someone does. It's not easy being a six foot tall girl in America....
Oh the horror, Oh ennui!!!!!!!

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

http://www.iloveham.com/

Originally posted by notiti:
I guess the French love tall chicks. At least someone does. It's not easy being a six foot tall girl in America....
Oh the horror, Oh ennui!!!!!!!

I live in Canada, but it's all North America...and I so hear you on this...

------------------
Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

-Crowded House

I don't know about most guys, but height really doesn't matter to me. I'm exactly 6 feet tall, and I dated a girl who was 2 inches taller than me, and that was just fine. I could just as easily see myself dating someone who is 5 foot something. Of course, it would be hard on the back having to stoop over to kiss all the time.
wink.gif

Yeah, those pageants are pretty silly. What about someone who is over 7 feet? Are they too tall to be beautiful??

[This message has been edited by travu2 (edited 01-09-2002).]

i've never dated a girl over 5' 5. i don't find them attractive.

------------------
itsyourworldyoucanchangeit

Originally posted by brettig:
*ponders the feasibility of sula's 'bedding bilbo' fantasies

that's Aragorn in my fantasies, silly man. And hey, since when did you know what I dream about?
tongue.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
That's ok, we don't find you attractive either.
tongue.gif

i am going to refrain from this conversation further. though it is a silly conversation to feel the need to remove oneself from, i'm feelin' the need.

------------------

Originally posted by travu2:
I don't know about most guys, but height really doesn't matter to me. I'm exactly 6 feet tall, and I dated a girl who was 2 inches taller than me, and that was just fine. I could just as easily see myself dating someone who is 5 foot something. Of course, it would be hard on the back having to stoop over to kiss all the time.
wink.gif

Yeah, those pageants are pretty silly. What about someone who is over 7 feet? Are they too tall to be beautiful??

[This message has been edited by travu2 (edited 01-09-2002).]

I dated a guy who was 6'8". It was awkward, standing on stairs just to kiss him 'night. With me being short and him being really really tall, people kind of went "wtf" whenever we walked by hand in hand. *giggle*

I have a super soft spot for tall men even though I've never been picky about certain physicalities. It just happened that every man I ever dated was tall, 5'11 or over. Blonde, brunette - didn't matter. Never dated a redheaded guy though. Hmm. But that tallness factor. Oh my, there was something about being with a tall guy that made me feel secure I guess, with me being so short. lol

My husband is nice and tall and I love it. I don't know, I'm just rambling somewhat, but I think men are gorgeous. It don't matter what size they are really, or what color hair they have or any of that. It feels good to be a girl sometimes.
biggrin.gif

Now I've done it. Gone off on a tangent.

[This message has been edited by adam's_mistress (edited 01-09-2002).]

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i am going to refrain from this conversation further. though it is a silly conversation to feel the need to remove oneself from, i'm feelin' the need.

oh c'mon, koba! You can't have taken me seriously? *is an awful tease at this hour of the evening*

I'm sure you are a great loss to all of us tall women everywhere.
smile.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
oh c'mon, koba! You can't have taken me seriously? *is an awful tease at this hour of the evening*

I'm sure you are a great loss to all of us tall women everywhere.
smile.gif

i know you were jokin'
i just don't want to say anything that would hurt anybody.
i feel strongly about the subject if that makes sense.

------------------

In my experience:

Short guys go for short girls.

Tall guys also go for short girls.

The very few tall guys who go for tall girls such as myself are extremely fickle and lose interest reeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllly soon. Presumably this isn't related to height, but it's "interesting" anyway.

Due to recent experience--actually, all my experience--I'm feeling just a little sarcastic about this right now.

------------------
Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

-Crowded House

Back
Top Bottom