Be careful of what you write in a forum or...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justified

Refugee
[q]

Fans Slam George Michael in Chat
Jul 8, 7:14 AM EST

The Associated Press

LONDON -- Pop singer George Michael might have expected some praise from adoring fans when he set up a chat room on his Web site.

Instead, contributors complained the 41-year-old looked old and overweight and criticized his recent music, prompting the singer to announce Thursday he is shutting down the forum.

In a message posted on his site, Michael said the negativity was bad for him, his fans and his music.

"There are plenty of places to read people slagging each other off, but I wasn't trying to create one in opening the forum," he wrote.

"Those of you that want to carry on the media's work will have to do it somewhere else I suppose."

He signed off: "Sorry guys, but that's the way it goes... Peace and Love...or nothing at all."

The decision prompted a flurry of postings, mostly from supportive fans asking the singer to reconsider.

However, a few deemed the decision unfair and George a "control freak."

"It's a fans' forum, it's freedom of speech and I don't think it's down to George to take his ball home and say `I'm not playing any more,'" one fan wrote[/q]

.....yes, never know who is reading....

have I mentioned lately how the members of U2 look great and their music just keeps getting better and better over time??? :D

very touchy guy ....

muggs and B real (cypress hill guys) are always reading what we write in their forums, and sometimes they join us and we have a blast when they are around... sometimes the girls get very heavy with our posts, but those guys know to handle that, they are very fun people :D

George wasnt kidding when he sang, "I dont want your freedom" (of speech)

....or something

:wink:

Wham! :up:

i got quoted (by user name) in a canadian website/article about sarah mclachlan. i sounded like a jackass. it freaks me out sometimes that so many people check in on this place. :crazy:

I was quoted in a family history newsletter email that goes out to thousands of people - RootsWeb Review. They had lifted something I had typed in a thread to about 10 people, pasted into their newsletter email along with my name and email address.

I then had a tonne of grannies emailing me to either say "thank you for the help" or "can you explain a bit more". I started answering my own emails with "sorry, Im away at the moment" etc. Until it all cooled down.

So yes, you never know whos reading what you say. :huh:

During early days of AOL, musicians would set up chat rooms under an alias.
They wanted to know how the "fans" felt about their music and stuff.
Pretty sure Ted Nugent did this and others.

i think i'm going to go troll at the George Michael forum now. thanks for the heads up.

Justified said:
[q]

"It's a fans' forum, it's freedom of speech and I don't think it's down to George to take his ball home and say `I'm not playing any more,'" one fan wrote[/q]

Well, since it he set it up on his website, it is down to him IMO.

RockNRollDawgie said:
During early days of AOL, musicians would set up chat rooms under an alias.
They wanted to know how the "fans" felt about their music and stuff.
Pretty sure Ted Nugent did this and others.

I also post on bulletin board for another band and I know that a couple of the band members do check out what people are posting about them. (And one of them has a great memory. Sometimes I don't even remember what I wrote, but he does! Yikes!) It can provide great feedback, giving the musician much needed fan input, but some people are pretty malicious too. Occasionally some posts can get pretty nasty on a personal level, and I think that is going a bit too far. When I post I just keep in mind that these musicians are human, with the same emotions as all the rest of us.

i thought this to be a common occurance. there are a couple bands i can think of off the top of my head that have taken down boards because fans got nuts and started slagging off band members or related bands, but those boards were more giant rumor-fests and a lot of hearsay. if that was the case here, then the only thing really to do would be take down the board. if it's just rabid fans complaining about looks or not liking the music, as the article said, then george michael is a pansy-ass loser (which was kind of my opinion on the guy to begin with :wink: )

The real reason George closed the forum is he found out that roadside rest area men's rooms don't have internet access so he wasn't gonna be able to spend much time on the forum.

George, don't be like Creed. They shut down their forum for the same reason. :wink:

Back in the days when I was more involved with our local faire, I criticized a performance at our Renaissance Festival on a newsgroup, only to have said performers track me down and threaten me. :| Needless to say, they almost lost their jobs--but oddly, they threatened me further, claiming they'd take me to court. For what? Inciting them to stalk? :rolleyes:

luvsU2 said:

I agree. When your famous and you put yourself out there you have to expect some criticism. Not everyone is going to like you.:shocked:

:up: You think after George being in the spotlight for so many years he would be used to criticism.

:eyebrow: Hmmh-I suppose it is just human nature to want to know what others are saying about you, like in the band forums,
but you would think they have developed 'think skin' to criticizums. :|

Ryan Adams' official site used to have a message board that Ryan would post on...but then a bunch of music mags picked up on it and were printing off a lot of things he said when he was just fucking around and having fun. It ruined it. The board ended up getting shut down with promises of bringing us a better board, but it never came about. It's believed he made some postings at a fan board I go to...but then some magazines started picking up those posts and were printing things he said there. Most of the posts made under that username have now been deleted.

Yeah right. No one wants to be attacked personaly. I think George did the right thing.

That's too bad, I actually like George Michael. He should just grin and bear it like the rest of celebrities.

***I wonder if Bono lurks around here***

Back
Top Bottom