Battlestar Galactica (New Series)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sevikins

Refugee
I know that probably not a lot of you guys watch it, but I'm compelled to ask those of you who do watch it what you thought of the season finales (Lay Down Your Burdens I & II).

For one, I enjoyed it, and I was surprised to say that most at the ending, but wasn't suprised at the actions of a certain character that I am apt to loathe at this point... but to have that sort of cliffhanger, wow. So I'd like to hear some other thoughts.

Anywhoo, I can't wait until October (OCTOBER, what the heck is that? 7 Month haitus... it's so sad when all the other series start in July!) though for it.

I watch this show. I started a thread way back when, but not too many people here seem to watch it, which is a shame because it is one of the best shows on TV right now. Hell, Rolling Stone said it was the best one.

I think people get turned off because it's a "sci-fi" show, so to speak, but there is so much going on with it - politics, war, social issues, abortion, right to live, etc. It's an incredible show.

And this show continues to surprise me. I love how the season ended. It totally changes the dynamic of the show. Sure, the ultimate goal of reaching Earth is still there, but how they are going about it is just totally different than what I thought it would be, and that's why I like it so much...

^ Thank you! I'm sorry but I just got home today. I remember you started a thread a while ago and I responded in it but it slowly got bumped down to Interland's vortexes.

I know, I can't believe that no one (especially the awards committees... and whatever prestige they have anymore) would even consider such a show (b/c it's on the SciFi channel) for an award. It's a damned shame.

I have to say too, the ending surprised me as well... I wished for once they'd do it where there aren't so many stupid commercials... for it just takes away from the whole show overall. To be interrupted like that while it gets really dramatic. Anyway, it'd be good for them to have in more of a bloc with few commercials inbetween.

But on the ending, it was quite a surprise on how they found somewhere to settle on and how the whole order just deteroriated with Baltar going into this downward spiral into despair and sort of this Adar-like president where he doesn't care about the unions and whatnot and only for his own gain (boozing and stupping the h00rs~) But yeah, no houses... they've settled but have this like nomadic lifestyle, tent-like shanty towns almost.

I was talking to my boyfriend, or more like he rather to me, brought up a good point. Why didn't Roslin serve out her term, instead Baltar jumped right into power... meanwhile in real time, the president at least serves out his term before his successor comes. I was thinking because of the whole ballot fiasco, that she was willing to let Baltar take over without any opposition.

Everyone looked so different though... physically at least, Cally pregnant with Tyrol's baby, Starbuck with her long hair(!), Tigh actually living like a normal civilian with his (I hope not cheating anymore) wife... they all look settled down almost... like they're trying to get used to the new "regime", new lives (even as dreary as it is with it being only 20% habitable), new everything, and most of all without the threat of a Cylon attack. Of course, you knew deep down the Cylons were going to come back though... but the whole mystique is, what the hell are they going to do to the colonials now that they've boarded, the people really can't fight back due to a lack of army/military force, and the fleet's jumped away.

So many questions and I've gotta listen to 3 podcasts before Ep 220's... and that alone's like an hour and seven minutes long! :shocked:

October, why are you so far away?!?!

Yes, it was very interesting at what the situation looked like a year later. Very grim indeed.

As for the election and Roslin's term, I don't recall if it ends later on, like it does in real life in the U.S. For all we know, the term ends immediately once the election is over. That was never really explained, so I'm assuming that's how it works.

Watching Baltar continue his downward spiral will be great to watch next season, even if we do have to wait seven months.

I do like the show.....now
I'm old school Galactica, watched the show when it was on ABC a very long time ago. Okay I just aged myself big time, :wink: .

Anyway I refused to watch the new one because I hated the changes that they made. Starbuck is not a female and Cylons are big silver metal machines with the red light going back and forth on them. :mad:

After hearing some friends keep telling me to watch it, I finally did and warmed up to it. Now I have totally missed out on the first season and have watched many second season episodes. I still don't know what all is going on but I plan on buying the first season dvd set and I'm hoping that the Sci-Fi channel will show re-runs of the second season so I can tivo them and get caught up. I also love watching Richard Hatch when he is on there. I had such a major crush on him (and Starbuck) when I was younger. I was devistated when ABC cancelled the show. :sad:

Ya'll are right it is a great show and I'm glad I finally gave it a try. Still nothing will beat the original in my book. :wink:

Lol, I don't know about that... to me, after seeing the new series BSG, and then actually watching one episode of the old BSG on SciFi one day (I saw the one about the planet that gambles and has the sheriff who always gets killed by those pig-like creatures?) Anyway, to me, that's like *true* scifi, with laser beams, planets, and the whole weird spacey feeling... maybe I'm not saying that all correctly, but I prefer the new better... for one it's more drama/action than scifi which is good in my book as I never really cared for science fiction with aliens and whatnot.

But if you really wanted to see the first of things, you should pick up the BSG Miniseries (Movie) before Season 1 to get the whole "story" of things.

I'm old enough to remember the original show, and of course I liked it, and still do. It has that campy sci-fi feel to it.

This new incarnation, however, is just fantastic, and has totally blown me away. I remember watching the miniseries that started it, and thinking I was unsure how good it would be. But then when Season One began, I remember after the first few episodes how excellent the stories were, how strong the character development was, and ever since then, I've been hooked.

I just watched the Miniseries again today actually and to tell you... after watching season 1 and season 2, and then going back to the miniseries... it's so, nostalogic feeling, like how the characters looked so green... and to think of how far they've come along the way.

Not a bad way to waste 3 hours. :wink:

Sevikins said:
I saw the one about the planet that gambles and has the sheriff who always gets killed by those pig-like creatures?

:laugh: I know the exact episode your talking about. Starbuck ends up becoming the new Sheriff by winning the badge in a card game. My husband got me the original BSG dvd set when it came out. I love it and of course I watch when the Sci-Fi channel has the all day marathon.

I think the new one is an awesome show. There is no comparision between the two, night and day. I'm just sorry it took me a while to get over my stubborness of refusing to watch it. Rest assure that my tivo will have the season pass for BSG for season 3 going. :wink:

I didn't know they did a mini series first. I'm going to have to look for that as well and watch that one first. Thanks for the advice.

I think that it's more of a "pilot" than a miniseries. But I may be wrong, I saw season 1 episodes before I watched the miniseries lol.

It was good that episode, but I wished that there were cylons in that episode, as I don't have cable and I usually get the episodes taped by my boyfriend or I'd go over there to watch the cable. In the miniseries, they did a lowdown of the modern BSG and the old 70s BSG and those cylons look so interesting, *very* shiny *__* and those robotic voices lol!

By Your Command...

Last edited:
Sevikins said:
I think that it's more of a "pilot" than a miniseries. But I may be wrong, I saw season 1 episodes before I watched the miniseries lol.

Well, it was a miniseries in and of itself, but I guess it can be viewed as the pilot as well. Obviously, if the miniseries hadn't done well, a regular series wouldn't have followed.

I should pick up the DVD and watch that again, because you're right, in only two seasons, the show has come a long way from that...

So Phanan and mdw, what are your favorite episodes so far?

Mine would have to be "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down". Saw it again today and it was even funnier than I last saw it... and yes, I'm a bit of a loser but I came home early from school and had a good hour to spare sooo... lol.

True true, I doubt anyone expected that... it was such a twist. That's what I like about shows like that, there's this whole plot that makes you think this one way and when you thought that you had it all figured out-- BAM! They sock you with this thing totally off the side. It's like being hit by a tractor trailer at times, that feeling of :ohmy: :shocked: :sad: (suffice it to say in smileys).

Back
Top Bottom