Batman Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miss becky

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Wow. This is an incredible movie. Christian Bale should *always* be Batman. He nailed Bruce Wayne's conflicted personality, and he fills out that Batsuit quite well. :wink:

I don't read the comics, so I don't know how well the movie did with getting the backstory "right" but it *felt* right to me. The writing was outstanding, the casting amazing (and how nice to see Gary Oldman playing a good guy for a change!). And it's wonderful to see a summer movie that isn't 90% CGI special effects.

Two big thumbs up. :up: :up:

I saw this movie yesterday.

Two words: COMPLETELY AWESOME.

Plus, Christian Bale is totally teh yum. :drool:

"Would you like to see my mask?"

An incredible movie which ignores cgi effects for real character development. When Bruce screamed 'Alfred...help me' I almost cried like a big baby. The emotion in Bale's plea and on Caine''s face...unbelievable.

Living in the UK I've never seen a cinema audience applaud a film as the credits roll...until last night.

I hear it's under performing at the box office (both here and stateside). God, I hope it makes enough to finance a sequel. The directer and cast wholly deserve it.

Great movie. This is how the Batman movies should have been done from the beginning.

Plus we see the acting debut of James former frontman Tim Booth.

learn2kneel said:
$71,087,000 estimated 5-day box office. Not bad.

Not particularly good either. I really hope it gets great word of mouth and does not drop off fast. It was a great movie and deserves to make well over $150 million so they will go ahead with the sequel. If it ends up with only $130 million or so (as happened with Hulk, which did suck), then a sequel may not happen.

bale is great , till the costume arrives ,
finale is lame ( compare it to batman returns or batman )
and btw , jack napier kiiled his parents
michael keaton is the best batman ever
Duh!

Haven't seen the new movie yet. But I must agree with WinnieThePoo. Micheal Keaton IS batman.

WinnieThePoo said:
Duh!

Agreed. Especially with regards to Michael Keaton.

The only particularly interesting elements in the movie (I found at least) were the apt choices for villains and the consistency in the story. For once the tandem bad guy selection worked, whereas the predecessor Schumacher films were disjoint and annoying in that character area. Having said that, Scarecrow could have been represented on screen a lot stronger (moreso a poor reflection on the writing). Although, the set up for the background of future Gotham villains turned out more convincing with the presence of Scarecrow practicing at Arkham.

Second best Batman film so far.

Last edited:
the film is fantastic is some ways
events before the cape ,
rutger hauer , morgan freeman & the new Alfred
scarecrow , great actor , it's a shame he 's not the main evil guy
, liam neeson did a good job , however his turn to evil throughout the movie does not look that believable
the mess about joker , but good film , director has a talent
something reminds me about six string samurai in this one

Plus we see the acting debut of James former frontman Tim Booth.

Huh, I had no idea! I went to imdb.com to see who he played, and it said he played Victor Sjaz (sp?).

Who the heck was that in the movie?

corianderstem said:

Huh, I had no idea! I went to imdb.com to see who he played, and it said he played Victor Sjaz (sp?).

Who the heck was that in the movie?

He was the shaved head, goatee man with the scars on the back of his neck who was one of the villians released from the asylum.

WinnieThePoo said:
Duh!

sarcasm? I mean, all you said is wrong... :|

wow! there are some serious batman fanatics here! :up:

i just saw this last night and since all i know about batman is what i've learned from the movies, i'll just say this:

i thought the movie was great, definitely the best one of the franchise. christian bale did an excellent job. his batman is more the dark and brooding hero that i *think* he is supposed to be.

and even though he was the scary scarecrow, i am in love with cillian murphy. :love:

He was the shaved head, goatee man with the scars on the back of his neck who was one of the villians released from the asylum.

THAT was Tim Booth?

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Huh. He looks a lot tougher than he sounds when he sings! :wink:

corianderstem said:

THAT was Tim Booth?

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Huh. He looks a lot tougher than he sounds when he sings! :wink:

Yeah his new look is a little disturbing to me, I saw him at a solo gig here in Chicago and thought to myself "wow he looks like a thug"... Who knew that I'd be right.:wink:

lmjhitman said:
wow! there are some serious batman fanatics here! :up:

i just saw this last night and since all i know about batman is what i've learned from the movies, i'll just say this:

i thought the movie was great, definitely the best one of the franchise. christian bale did an excellent job. his batman is more the dark and brooding hero that i *think* he is supposed to be.

and even though he was the scary scarecrow, i am in love with cillian murphy. :love:

I agree. I was impressed by Christian Bale's layered performance as a tortured Bruce Wayne. The actors (eh, still indifferent on Katie Holmes) were perfectly cast and all did a superb job. I really hope Christopher Nolan signs on to direct the sequel. The special effects and cinematography were amazing. :love:

Cillian Murphy is gorgeous. :drool:

SPOILER.........................

I'm one of those Batman fanatics. Check out my posts on the other thread regarding FF vs BB. I finally got to see the film tonight.

:drool:

The opening display of the DC comics logo followed by the bats swarming the screen was a great opening. The first half of the film was perfect for introducing the audience to what makes Batman such a unique comic book character and what drives him to do what he does. The sequences with his father were touching and well acted. It established the family legacy which Batman fulfills.

Batman climbing the mountain to the monastery for training reminded me of Elektra's similar climb in Frank Miller's Elektra resurrection story arc where she trains with Stick. But that's ok. I would have liked to see a more definitive example of his failure in attempting to fight injustice before realizing he needed an edge but it was still good. The scene where he enters the Batcave for the first time was awesome. The lone man amongst the thousands of swarming bats was a great spectacle, I guess Alfred has rabies shots in the medicine cabinet.

The training sequences with flashbacks to his childhood and youth were perfect. Great mix of story and action leading to a climactic battle with the faux Ra's Al Ghul.

I thought that the Lucius Fox character would suck based on the commercials but the charming Morgan Freeman won me over along with the development of the character just like the comic.:wink: BTW, did everyone catch the remarks between Alfred and Lucius while Bruce was recovering from his first contact with Scarecrow. " Good seeing you, Alfred" "You too, Lucius" In pre-Crisis Batman mythos, both Alfred and Lucius fought together with the French Resistance during WWII where Alfred fathered a daughter with the resistance fighter known as Mademoiselle Marie. In other words, they have known each other for a very very long time. I wonder if they will build on this relationship in future films.

Who doesn't love Rutger Hauer? His cocky CEO character was perfect but of course we all knew how it would end. But it was a nice little side story to show Bruce's abililty in the business world. Along with the spoiled billionaire displays, Nolan gave us a great picture of Bruce Wayne, the man, albeit as Rachel notes at the end, his true mask is when he is not wearing the cowl.

The inclusion of Arkham Asylum was a great way of introducing the rogue's gallery of Batman and the casting of Cillian Murphy as Dr. Crane was genius. He looked perfect in his suit, slender and lanky, just like the book. And having the inmates escape was a great device which has been used many times over the past decades to create chaos for Batman. Perfect setup for sequels. Liam Neeson was his usual excellent self portraying Ducard with an initial slight reservation then thundering back as he slowly reveals his true abilities. That was a wonderful little twist which was kept quiet. And he ain't dead, they League of Shadows( actually the League of Assassins in the comics) will recover his body and give him a dip in the Lazarus pit. Remember his monologue about how the League has been there for hundreds of years to destroy civilizations at their apex? He has been around for a very long time.

After hearing the complaints regarding Katie Holmes, I didn't mind her character. The thinking for this film is that one man can't clean up the city unless he has help, an honest DA and an honest cop. Of course, we all know who the next DA will be. Gary Oldman was another perfect casting as a young Lieutenant James Gordon. He looked perfect in reacting to the whole situation like any normal person would when first seeing a guy in a batsuit. The inclusion of Flass was a nice touch but unfortunately he looked like Harvey Bullock. Go check out the trade paperback Batman: Year One to see how Gordon gives it to Flass and Commissioner Loeb, much better than the movie scene. Did everyone see the Batgirl cameo in the highchair? Aww, she was so cute. Batman actually saves her in the Year One comic book.

Speaking of Year One, the scene where the Batman is talking to Gordon about how to rescue Rachel is inspired by the comic book. He uses the sonic frequency to call the bats, and he actually fights the SWAT team and goes out of his way to ensure that he doesn't kill the cops and even saves a cat (awww!) while battling them in a delapidated burning building.

Overall I would say this is the definitive Batman on film. The atmosphere, settings and casting were perfect. Although there were some tweaks with the mythos, it paid tribute to the comic books with many shots like Batman standing on the building ledges and his dropping from the sky with the cape spread open. I read interviews with Bale where he said he wanted to honour the character and not be campy. Both he and Nolan deserve credit for preserving the legacy of the Batman character for the next generation to enjoy on film. Bob Kane can rest easy as the Bat is in good hands at present.

I can't bloody wait for the next one. And for anyone who suggested Jack Napier killed Bruce's parents, go pick up The Killing Joke comic book by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. That would make a great Batman movie too.

With Spiderman 2, Sin City and now Batman Begins, is it possible that Hollywood is finally realizing that staying true to the comic books produces the most entertaining movies instead of a director or writer giving their interpretation of characters? If they wanted their intrepretation to be seen, go write or draw the comic book. Most comic books, despite being ridiculed by many ,have crossed pop culture from the page to every other medium out there. Even people who have never read a comic book have heard of Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc. so why not stay true to what put them on radar, the comic books. Go see this film, you will enjoy it.

:up: :up: :up: :up:

Last edited:
wow, trevster. fantastic post. :up:

you seem to be quite the comic book geek (and i mean 'geek' in the NICEST possible way! :hug: ) and you're into 'sin city' :up: which i LOVED.

so, if i may be permitted to steer off-topic for a bit, i have a question for you. after seeing sin city, i would like to collect the comics, er, graphic novels :reject: . i really liked the story with dwight, gail, jackie boy and miho. i eventually would like to get all the volumes, but for now, where should i start?

Sure, I would love to help you start. You're the second person to ask for assistance in tracking down comics based on recent film.

Since you enjoyed the Dwight storyline so much, you should start there. That book is available as The Big Fat Kill.

The Marv storyline is the first Sin City story and simply titled Sin City.

The storyline with Hartigan aka Bruce Willis is in another book called That Yellow Bastard.

If you remember in the film when Shellie talks about Dwight coming back with his new face after he confronts Jackie Boy in the bathroom. Well, this is actually the second Dwight story. The first one is A Dame to Kill For and I believe it will filmed for Sin City 2, btw, Marv is in this story too so it will be a buddy flick.:wink:

There is no guarantee you will enjoy the comic book. I like books based on the artwork, as well as the story. Sometimes great art can overcome a poor story and vice versa but art is a subjective thing. The books are about $20 bucks each. Comic book stores or Amazon.com are good places to look for them.

Hope you enjoy. I haven't collected comics since '97 but I still pick up the good ones in trade paperbacks.

trevster2k :up: nice post

I don't really care about the comics personally but this movie was by far the best batman movie, and definately one of the better comic book movies. I thought the other Batman movies were a joke, and it got worse the more of them they made. Christian Bale is the new batman, even better than Michael Keaton.

Jack In The Box said:

sarcasm? I mean, all you said is wrong... :|

oh , well people have different tastes
tim burton did a great job with first two movies
some people like the killers
some prefer queen
cheers!!!

trevster2k said:
SPOILER.........................

I'm one of those Batman fanatics. Check out my posts on the other thread regarding FF vs BB. I finally got to see the film tonight.

:drool:

The opening display of the DC comics logo followed by the bats swarming the screen was a great opening. The first half of the film was perfect for introducing the audience to what makes Batman such a unique comic book character and what drives him to do what he does. The sequences with his father were touching and well acted. It established the family legacy which Batman fulfills.

Batman climbing the mountain to the monastery for training reminded me of Elektra's similar climb in Frank Miller's Elektra resurrection story arc where she trains with Stick. But that's ok. I would have liked to see a more definitive example of his failure in attempting to fight injustice before realizing he needed an edge but it was still good. The scene where he enters the Batcave for the first time was awesome. The lone man amongst the thousands of swarming bats was a great spectacle, I guess Alfred has rabies shots in the medicine cabinet.

The training sequences with flashbacks to his childhood and youth were perfect. Great mix of story and action leading to a climactic battle with the faux Ra's Al Ghul.

I thought that the Lucius Fox character would suck based on the commercials but the charming Morgan Freeman won me over along with the development of the character just like the comic.:wink: BTW, did everyone catch the remarks between Alfred and Lucius while Bruce was recovering from his first contact with Scarecrow. " Good seeing you, Alfred" "You too, Lucius" In pre-Crisis Batman mythos, both Alfred and Lucius fought together with the French Resistance during WWII where Alfred fathered a daughter with the resistance fighter known as Mademoiselle Marie. In other words, they have known each other for a very very long time. I wonder if they will build on this relationship in future films.

Who doesn't love Rutger Hauer? His cocky CEO character was perfect but of course we all knew how it would end. But it was a nice little side story to show Bruce's abililty in the business world. Along with the spoiled billionaire displays, Nolan gave us a great picture of Bruce Wayne, the man, albeit as Rachel notes at the end, his true mask is when he is not wearing the cowl.

The inclusion of Arkham Asylum was a great way of introducing the rogue's gallery of Batman and the casting of Cillian Murphy as Dr. Crane was genius. He looked perfect in his suit, slender and lanky, just like the book. And having the inmates escape was a great device which has been used many times over the past decades to create chaos for Batman. Perfect setup for sequels. Liam Neeson was his usual excellent self portraying Ducard with an initial slight reservation then thundering back as he slowly reveals his true abilities. That was a wonderful little twist which was kept quiet. And he ain't dead, they League of Shadows( actually the League of Assassins in the comics) will recover his body and give him a dip in the Lazarus pit. Remember his monologue about how the League has been there for hundreds of years to destroy civilizations at their apex? He has been around for a very long time.

After hearing the complaints regarding Katie Holmes, I didn't mind her character. The thinking for this film is that one man can't clean up the city unless he has help, an honest DA and an honest cop. Of course, we all know who the next DA will be. Gary Oldman was another perfect casting as a young Lieutenant James Gordon. He looked perfect in reacting to the whole situation like any normal person would when first seeing a guy in a batsuit. The inclusion of Flass was a nice touch but unfortunately he looked like Harvey Bullock. Go check out the trade paperback Batman: Year One to see how Gordon gives it to Flass and Commissioner Loeb, much better than the movie scene. Did everyone see the Batgirl cameo in the highchair? Aww, she was so cute. Batman actually saves her in the Year One comic book.

Speaking of Year One, the scene where the Batman is talking to Gordon about how to rescue Rachel is inspired by the comic book. He uses the sonic frequency to call the bats, and he actually fights the SWAT team and goes out of his way to ensure that he doesn't kill the cops and even saves a cat (awww!) while battling them in a delapidated burning building.

Overall I would say this is the definitive Batman on film. The atmosphere, settings and casting were perfect. Although there were some tweaks with the mythos, it paid tribute to the comic books with many shots like Batman standing on the building ledges and his dropping from the sky with the cape spread open. I read interviews with Bale where he said he wanted to honour the character and not be campy. Both he and Nolan deserve credit for preserving the legacy of the Batman character for the next generation to enjoy on film. Bob Kane can rest easy as the Bat is in good hands at present.

I can't bloody wait for the next one. And for anyone who suggested Jack Napier killed Bruce's parents, go pick up The Killing Joke comic book by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. That would make a great Batman movie too.

With Spiderman 2, Sin City and now Batman Begins, is it possible that Hollywood is finally realizing that staying true to the comic books produces the most entertaining movies instead of a director or writer giving their interpretation of characters? If they wanted their intrepretation to be seen, go write or draw the comic book. Most comic books, despite being ridiculed by many ,have crossed pop culture from the page to every other medium out there. Even people who have never read a comic book have heard of Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc. so why not stay true to what put them on radar, the comic books. Go see this film, you will enjoy it.

:up: :up: :up: :up:

:bow: :bow:

GREATEST NERD POST EVER!!!!

:drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom