Batman Begins - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2005, 10:00 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
Queen Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Please don't shoot him. He's just an intern.
Posts: 17,705
Local Time: 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman
wow! there are some serious batman fanatics here!

i just saw this last night and since all i know about batman is what i've learned from the movies, i'll just say this:

i thought the movie was great, definitely the best one of the franchise. christian bale did an excellent job. his batman is more the dark and brooding hero that i *think* he is supposed to be.

and even though he was the scary scarecrow, i am in love with cillian murphy.
I agree. I was impressed by Christian Bale's layered performance as a tortured Bruce Wayne. The actors (eh, still indifferent on Katie Holmes) were perfectly cast and all did a superb job. I really hope Christopher Nolan signs on to direct the sequel. The special effects and cinematography were amazing.

Cillian Murphy is gorgeous.
__________________

Queen Bee is offline  
Old 06-19-2005, 11:44 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
trevster2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,330
Local Time: 08:56 PM
SPOILER.........................

I'm one of those Batman fanatics. Check out my posts on the other thread regarding FF vs BB. I finally got to see the film tonight.



The opening display of the DC comics logo followed by the bats swarming the screen was a great opening. The first half of the film was perfect for introducing the audience to what makes Batman such a unique comic book character and what drives him to do what he does. The sequences with his father were touching and well acted. It established the family legacy which Batman fulfills.

Batman climbing the mountain to the monastery for training reminded me of Elektra's similar climb in Frank Miller's Elektra resurrection story arc where she trains with Stick. But that's ok. I would have liked to see a more definitive example of his failure in attempting to fight injustice before realizing he needed an edge but it was still good. The scene where he enters the Batcave for the first time was awesome. The lone man amongst the thousands of swarming bats was a great spectacle, I guess Alfred has rabies shots in the medicine cabinet.

The training sequences with flashbacks to his childhood and youth were perfect. Great mix of story and action leading to a climactic battle with the faux Ra's Al Ghul.

I thought that the Lucius Fox character would suck based on the commercials but the charming Morgan Freeman won me over along with the development of the character just like the comic. BTW, did everyone catch the remarks between Alfred and Lucius while Bruce was recovering from his first contact with Scarecrow. " Good seeing you, Alfred" "You too, Lucius" In pre-Crisis Batman mythos, both Alfred and Lucius fought together with the French Resistance during WWII where Alfred fathered a daughter with the resistance fighter known as Mademoiselle Marie. In other words, they have known each other for a very very long time. I wonder if they will build on this relationship in future films.

Who doesn't love Rutger Hauer? His cocky CEO character was perfect but of course we all knew how it would end. But it was a nice little side story to show Bruce's abililty in the business world. Along with the spoiled billionaire displays, Nolan gave us a great picture of Bruce Wayne, the man, albeit as Rachel notes at the end, his true mask is when he is not wearing the cowl.

The inclusion of Arkham Asylum was a great way of introducing the rogue's gallery of Batman and the casting of Cillian Murphy as Dr. Crane was genius. He looked perfect in his suit, slender and lanky, just like the book. And having the inmates escape was a great device which has been used many times over the past decades to create chaos for Batman. Perfect setup for sequels. Liam Neeson was his usual excellent self portraying Ducard with an initial slight reservation then thundering back as he slowly reveals his true abilities. That was a wonderful little twist which was kept quiet. And he ain't dead, they League of Shadows( actually the League of Assassins in the comics) will recover his body and give him a dip in the Lazarus pit. Remember his monologue about how the League has been there for hundreds of years to destroy civilizations at their apex? He has been around for a very long time.

After hearing the complaints regarding Katie Holmes, I didn't mind her character. The thinking for this film is that one man can't clean up the city unless he has help, an honest DA and an honest cop. Of course, we all know who the next DA will be. Gary Oldman was another perfect casting as a young Lieutenant James Gordon. He looked perfect in reacting to the whole situation like any normal person would when first seeing a guy in a batsuit. The inclusion of Flass was a nice touch but unfortunately he looked like Harvey Bullock. Go check out the trade paperback Batman: Year One to see how Gordon gives it to Flass and Commissioner Loeb, much better than the movie scene. Did everyone see the Batgirl cameo in the highchair? Aww, she was so cute. Batman actually saves her in the Year One comic book.

Speaking of Year One, the scene where the Batman is talking to Gordon about how to rescue Rachel is inspired by the comic book. He uses the sonic frequency to call the bats, and he actually fights the SWAT team and goes out of his way to ensure that he doesn't kill the cops and even saves a cat (awww!) while battling them in a delapidated burning building.

Overall I would say this is the definitive Batman on film. The atmosphere, settings and casting were perfect. Although there were some tweaks with the mythos, it paid tribute to the comic books with many shots like Batman standing on the building ledges and his dropping from the sky with the cape spread open. I read interviews with Bale where he said he wanted to honour the character and not be campy. Both he and Nolan deserve credit for preserving the legacy of the Batman character for the next generation to enjoy on film. Bob Kane can rest easy as the Bat is in good hands at present.

I can't bloody wait for the next one. And for anyone who suggested Jack Napier killed Bruce's parents, go pick up The Killing Joke comic book by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. That would make a great Batman movie too.

With Spiderman 2, Sin City and now Batman Begins, is it possible that Hollywood is finally realizing that staying true to the comic books produces the most entertaining movies instead of a director or writer giving their interpretation of characters? If they wanted their intrepretation to be seen, go write or draw the comic book. Most comic books, despite being ridiculed by many ,have crossed pop culture from the page to every other medium out there. Even people who have never read a comic book have heard of Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc. so why not stay true to what put them on radar, the comic books. Go see this film, you will enjoy it.

__________________

trevster2k is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 12:34 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
lmjhitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: tbtf
Posts: 4,317
Local Time: 06:26 PM
wow, trevster. fantastic post.

you seem to be quite the comic book geek (and i mean 'geek' in the NICEST possible way! ) and you're into 'sin city' which i LOVED.

so, if i may be permitted to steer off-topic for a bit, i have a question for you. after seeing sin city, i would like to collect the comics, er, graphic novels . i really liked the story with dwight, gail, jackie boy and miho. i eventually would like to get all the volumes, but for now, where should i start?
lmjhitman is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 02:21 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
trevster2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,330
Local Time: 08:56 PM
Sure, I would love to help you start. You're the second person to ask for assistance in tracking down comics based on recent film.

Since you enjoyed the Dwight storyline so much, you should start there. That book is available as The Big Fat Kill.

The Marv storyline is the first Sin City story and simply titled Sin City.

The storyline with Hartigan aka Bruce Willis is in another book called That Yellow Bastard.

If you remember in the film when Shellie talks about Dwight coming back with his new face after he confronts Jackie Boy in the bathroom. Well, this is actually the second Dwight story. The first one is A Dame to Kill For and I believe it will filmed for Sin City 2, btw, Marv is in this story too so it will be a buddy flick.

There is no guarantee you will enjoy the comic book. I like books based on the artwork, as well as the story. Sometimes great art can overcome a poor story and vice versa but art is a subjective thing. The books are about $20 bucks each. Comic book stores or Amazon.com are good places to look for them.

Hope you enjoy. I haven't collected comics since '97 but I still pick up the good ones in trade paperbacks.
trevster2k is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 03:14 AM   #25
Refugee
 
Sken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,042
Local Time: 12:26 AM
trevster2k nice post

I don't really care about the comics personally but this movie was by far the best batman movie, and definately one of the better comic book movies. I thought the other Batman movies were a joke, and it got worse the more of them they made. Christian Bale is the new batman, even better than Michael Keaton.
Sken is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 AM   #26
Refugee
 
WinnieThePoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 2,232
Local Time: 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack In The Box


sarcasm? I mean, all you said is wrong...
oh , well people have different tastes
tim burton did a great job with first two movies
some people like the killers
some prefer queen
cheers!!!
WinnieThePoo is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 04:02 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
bono_man2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the wrong band
Posts: 28,476
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Having watched Batman and Batman Returns this weekend (the other two are on next weekend I think) I would really like to see this one.
bono_man2002 is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 05:44 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,153
Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
SPOILER.........................

I'm one of those Batman fanatics. Check out my posts on the other thread regarding FF vs BB. I finally got to see the film tonight.



The opening display of the DC comics logo followed by the bats swarming the screen was a great opening. The first half of the film was perfect for introducing the audience to what makes Batman such a unique comic book character and what drives him to do what he does. The sequences with his father were touching and well acted. It established the family legacy which Batman fulfills.

Batman climbing the mountain to the monastery for training reminded me of Elektra's similar climb in Frank Miller's Elektra resurrection story arc where she trains with Stick. But that's ok. I would have liked to see a more definitive example of his failure in attempting to fight injustice before realizing he needed an edge but it was still good. The scene where he enters the Batcave for the first time was awesome. The lone man amongst the thousands of swarming bats was a great spectacle, I guess Alfred has rabies shots in the medicine cabinet.

The training sequences with flashbacks to his childhood and youth were perfect. Great mix of story and action leading to a climactic battle with the faux Ra's Al Ghul.

I thought that the Lucius Fox character would suck based on the commercials but the charming Morgan Freeman won me over along with the development of the character just like the comic. BTW, did everyone catch the remarks between Alfred and Lucius while Bruce was recovering from his first contact with Scarecrow. " Good seeing you, Alfred" "You too, Lucius" In pre-Crisis Batman mythos, both Alfred and Lucius fought together with the French Resistance during WWII where Alfred fathered a daughter with the resistance fighter known as Mademoiselle Marie. In other words, they have known each other for a very very long time. I wonder if they will build on this relationship in future films.

Who doesn't love Rutger Hauer? His cocky CEO character was perfect but of course we all knew how it would end. But it was a nice little side story to show Bruce's abililty in the business world. Along with the spoiled billionaire displays, Nolan gave us a great picture of Bruce Wayne, the man, albeit as Rachel notes at the end, his true mask is when he is not wearing the cowl.

The inclusion of Arkham Asylum was a great way of introducing the rogue's gallery of Batman and the casting of Cillian Murphy as Dr. Crane was genius. He looked perfect in his suit, slender and lanky, just like the book. And having the inmates escape was a great device which has been used many times over the past decades to create chaos for Batman. Perfect setup for sequels. Liam Neeson was his usual excellent self portraying Ducard with an initial slight reservation then thundering back as he slowly reveals his true abilities. That was a wonderful little twist which was kept quiet. And he ain't dead, they League of Shadows( actually the League of Assassins in the comics) will recover his body and give him a dip in the Lazarus pit. Remember his monologue about how the League has been there for hundreds of years to destroy civilizations at their apex? He has been around for a very long time.

After hearing the complaints regarding Katie Holmes, I didn't mind her character. The thinking for this film is that one man can't clean up the city unless he has help, an honest DA and an honest cop. Of course, we all know who the next DA will be. Gary Oldman was another perfect casting as a young Lieutenant James Gordon. He looked perfect in reacting to the whole situation like any normal person would when first seeing a guy in a batsuit. The inclusion of Flass was a nice touch but unfortunately he looked like Harvey Bullock. Go check out the trade paperback Batman: Year One to see how Gordon gives it to Flass and Commissioner Loeb, much better than the movie scene. Did everyone see the Batgirl cameo in the highchair? Aww, she was so cute. Batman actually saves her in the Year One comic book.

Speaking of Year One, the scene where the Batman is talking to Gordon about how to rescue Rachel is inspired by the comic book. He uses the sonic frequency to call the bats, and he actually fights the SWAT team and goes out of his way to ensure that he doesn't kill the cops and even saves a cat (awww!) while battling them in a delapidated burning building.

Overall I would say this is the definitive Batman on film. The atmosphere, settings and casting were perfect. Although there were some tweaks with the mythos, it paid tribute to the comic books with many shots like Batman standing on the building ledges and his dropping from the sky with the cape spread open. I read interviews with Bale where he said he wanted to honour the character and not be campy. Both he and Nolan deserve credit for preserving the legacy of the Batman character for the next generation to enjoy on film. Bob Kane can rest easy as the Bat is in good hands at present.

I can't bloody wait for the next one. And for anyone who suggested Jack Napier killed Bruce's parents, go pick up The Killing Joke comic book by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. That would make a great Batman movie too.

With Spiderman 2, Sin City and now Batman Begins, is it possible that Hollywood is finally realizing that staying true to the comic books produces the most entertaining movies instead of a director or writer giving their interpretation of characters? If they wanted their intrepretation to be seen, go write or draw the comic book. Most comic books, despite being ridiculed by many ,have crossed pop culture from the page to every other medium out there. Even people who have never read a comic book have heard of Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc. so why not stay true to what put them on radar, the comic books. Go see this film, you will enjoy it.





GREATEST NERD POST EVER!!!!

Dalton is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 06:58 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 08:26 PM
I still have to see this movie but everyone is talking about it.
I wonder if War of the Worlds will be good.
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 07:02 AM   #30
Refugee
 
WinnieThePoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 2,232
Local Time: 08:26 PM
after Kim Basinger & Michelle Pfeiffer ,
katie holmes looks kinda faceless and with no purpose at all
WinnieThePoo is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 07:50 AM   #31
Acrobat
 
briarrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 470
Local Time: 12:26 AM
This movie was great. I'm a huge Batman fan as well. My brother is letting me borrow his Knightfall book. I've heard it's really good. I loved Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, but I think I like Michael Keaton better as Batman.
briarrose is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
lmjhitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: tbtf
Posts: 4,317
Local Time: 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Sure, I would love to help you start. You're the second person to ask for assistance in tracking down comics based on recent film.
looks like you've proven yourself to be an expert!

Quote:
Since you enjoyed the Dwight storyline so much, you should start there. That book is available as The Big Fat Kill.
cool. i'll pick that one up right away.

Quote:
The first one is A Dame to Kill For and I believe it will filmed for Sin City 2, btw, Marv is in this story too so it will be a buddy flick.
sin city 2??!! oh lord..

Quote:
Comic book stores or Amazon.com are good places to look for them.
they're all over the place here in edmonton - chapters, indigo, coles, you name it. i would always see them and want to pick one up, but there are like, 7 of them or something, and i had no idea where to begin.

until now. thank you, trevster! you've made my inner comic book geek very happy!
lmjhitman is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 12:31 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

you've made my inner comic book geek very happy!
Se7en is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
lmjhitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: tbtf
Posts: 4,317
Local Time: 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
oh mr. se7en,

it seems we are truly made for each other.
lmjhitman is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

oh mr. se7en,

it seems we are truly made for each other.
it is only too sad that it has taken you so long to realize this.
Se7en is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
lmjhitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: tbtf
Posts: 4,317
Local Time: 06:26 PM
weep not for the past my dear se7en, we have a sexy future ahead of us.
lmjhitman is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict
 
redkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: racing to the waterside
Posts: 19,620
Local Time: 05:26 PM
I thought this was a great movie. Loved it and I love Christian Bale!

I don't think this film has to be compared to the other Batmans I thought it was so different it stands on it's own. The others were good too in their own way but I prefer this style I guess.

Loved the casting of Gary Oldman. I was convinced he'd be a bad man simply because that's who I see him playing. So when he started good and stayed good it was like a reverse twist for me
redkat is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
trevster2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,330
Local Time: 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton






GREATEST NERD POST EVER!!!!

Thanks, I think.

trevster2k is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 03:01 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by briarrose
This movie was great. I'm a huge Batman fan as well. My brother is letting me borrow his Knightfall book. I've heard it's really good. I loved Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, but I think I like Michael Keaton better as Batman.
you will LOVE Knightfall.

Then you need to read KinghtsEnd.
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 06-20-2005, 07:06 PM   #40
Acrobat
 
ribbons&bows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in cold, wet, and windy Dublin
Posts: 450
Local Time: 05:26 PM
I Alfred

oh, and the movie was good too especially on the imax gigantic screen
__________________

ribbons&bows is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×