Bass in songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How is it that no one has mentined the Who? John Entwistle should be knighted for 'the real me' from Quadrophenia. Freakin' amazing. And when they played '5.15' live, he always had a freakin' sweet solo. like sweet solo. not to mention 'My Generation'...i'd take him over John Paul Jones any day.

The Lemon Song - Led Zeppelin

The bass in this song blows my mind :drool: .
John Paul Jones :bow:

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:
It's relatively simple, but the bass line and pretty much everything about Ny Batteri by Sigur Ros is droolworthy.

Especially live :drool:

they have some great bass lines, Olsen Olsen and Gong are great too

I became a bass player because of Adam but my biggest influence is Carlos D., simple but effective bass lines :up:

If anyone doubts the power of bass, they must listen to The Who (John Entwhistle), Rush (Geddy Lee), Primus (or any other of Les Claypool's bands), the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Flea), and Iron Maiden (Steve Harris). The bass doesn't always drive the songs (though with Rush, Primus, and Maiden it usually does), but the bass is nearly always a prominent feature of most songs by these bands.

You kindof have to train your ear to seperate all the tracks in a song so you can hear the bassline seperately from the lead and rhythm guitars. It's tricky, but you get the hang of it eventually. Once you do, I think your appreciation for the music you listen to can only increase.

Interpol has some great bass lines. Narc, especially, makes me want to fucking groove

a thing that I really appreciate in the general music. It's an underated thing nowadays, I think. I just complain that being Hip-hop the prefered music style of today, that in a big part of songs from this genre you can't hear a bassline (in bass guitar) or even a bassline made by synths.

Anyone who appreciates a good baseline should check out any song by Elvis Costello's old backing band, The Attractions.

Quality, quality stuff. For instance....

http://s52.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=0MM96TJB61MXT0T6MXL46F9CBT

I didnt' check what you posted, but the first Attractions song I think of when I think of bass is "I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea"

UnforgettableLemon said:
I didnt' check what you posted, but the first Attractions song I think of when I think of bass is "I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea"
Nice one :drool: You really need a good baseline to pin down a song and give it some direction when there's a crazy circuis organ and a raging lunatic lyricist in the mix as well.

MacPhistoPT said:
RHCP's Around the World and Higher Ground bass intros both kill me :rockon:

:up:

I'm dying to hear the new double album...In their very best Bono, they're saying it's their strongest effort yet. Funk rock from Venus :happy:

My favourite bass bit at the moment is Radiohead's "Airbag." If you crank it up loud, it's really delicious...I love the part near the end where the rumble speeds up and gives way to the lead guitar. It's mechanical and moving all in the same breath.
:drool:

:rolleyes:
Wow,in a thread about bass,you'd think more people would mention more funk & jazz.
Somebody did mention Jaco,but come on.
Listen to something besides alternative rock or whatever.

You can hear great bass playing in some of these records:
Parliament-Mothership Connection
Curtis Mayfield-Superfly
James Brown-In the Jungle Groove
Joni Mitchell-Heijra
Stanley Clarke-Stanley Clarke
Sly & The Family Stone-Fresh(If You Want Me To Stay has one of the greatest bass grooves ever)
Rick James-Street Songs
And the new Donald Fagen(assuming you know who he is)album has some fantastic bass licks.

It seems that most rock bass players just play the bass line to keep the beat, which is, in my opinion, a waste of an instrument. Truly great bands (Zeppelin, Floyd, Jane's Addiction) use the bass to add to the music. Drums too. Anyone can keep a beat, and it's kind unnecessary because the beat is implied in the rhythm. Great bass players provide the rhythm of the song, and really add another dimension. (See P-Funk for amazing bass. Or Jane's Addiction. There's like 4 songs going on at once in Jane's songs. And P-Funk, ugh. It's like a Funk army just kicking ass.)

Back
Top Bottom