Baseball Returneths - The MLB Thread: Spring Training Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
• Bonds was motivated to take performance-enhancing drugs by the Mark McGwire-Sammy Sosa chase of the single-season home run record in 1998 and he had never taken any before 1998.

• Through research, Bonds developed a deep knowledge of performance enhancers. He even talked, through third parties, to medical authorities who advised him not to use steroids.

• He began with Winstrol after the 1998 season. He also worked out extensively, sometimes spending 12 hours a day at the gym where he met the Weight Guru, who turned out to be Greg Anderson.

• He also took Deca-Durabolin. By 2001, the authors allege, he was using two designer steroids referred to as the Cream and the Clear, as well as insulin, human growth hormone, testosterone decanoate (a fast-acting steroid known as Mexican beans) and trenbolone, a steroid created to improve the muscle quality of cattle. That's the same year Bonds broke Mark McGwire's single-season home-run record (70) by belting 73.

• He got the substances from Anderson, his personal trainer who became a San Francisco Giants employee. Anderson got them from BALCO labs, headed by Victor Conte. Anderson's employment by the Giants irked the team's training staff, according to the excerpt. The Giants also did a background check, discovering that "World Gym was known as a place to score steroids and that Anderson himself was rumored to be a dealer. But the club decided it didn't want to alienate Bonds on this issue, either. The trainers stayed."

• Despite seeing a big change in Bonds' physical appearance, Giants officials did not challenge their star for fear of upsetting him. "The Giants, from owner Peter Magowan to manager Dusty Baker, had no interest in learning whether Bonds was using steroids, either," the excerpt contends. "Although it was illegal to use the drugs without a prescription, baseball had never banned steroids. Besides, by pursuing the issue, the Giants ran the risk of poisoning their relationship with their touchy superstar -- or, worse, of precipitating a drug scandal the year before the opening of their new ballpark, where Bonds was supposed to be the main gate attraction."

• Anderson kept meticulous records on Bonds' program, many of them on a computer. At times, Bonds gulped as many as 20 pills at a time. He also learned to inject himself.

• Bonds had a relationship with Kimberly Bell, a woman he met in the Candlestick Park parking lot in 1994 while he was married. Bonds even put a downpayment on a house for Bell in Arizona from monies he made from card-show appearances (and didn't report as income). She claims he later threatened to kill her.

• According to the excerpt, Anderson told an acquaintance who was wearing a wire in 2003 that: "The whole thing is, everything I've been doing, it's all undetectable. The stuff I have, we created it. You can't buy it anywhere else; you can't get it anywhere else. You can take [it] the day of [a drug test], pee, and it comes up clear.

"See, like Marion Jones and them -- it's the same stuff they went to the Olympics with and they test them every f------ week. So that's why I know it works, so that's why I know we're not in trouble. So that's cool."

• Bonds had immunity in grand jury testimony from everything but perjury. He claimed in testimony that he didn't know what Anderson was giving him. "At the end of [the] 2002, 2003 season, when I was going through [a bad period,] my dad died of cancer.... I was fatigued, just needed recovery you know, and this guy says, 'Try this cream, try this cream,'" he said. "And Greg came to the ballpark and said, you know, 'This will help you recover.' And he rubbed some cream on my arm ... gave me some flaxseed oil, man. It's like, 'Whatever, dude.' "

Later, Bonds said: "You know me, I'm 39 years old. I'm dealing with pain. All I want is the pain relief, you know? ... I never asked Greg," according to the excerpt. "When he said it was flaxseed oil, I just said, 'Whatever.' It was in the ballpark ... in front of everybody. I mean, all the reporters, my teammates. I mean, they all saw it. I didn't hide it ... . You know, trainers come up to me and say, 'Hey, Barry, try this.' "

Chizip said:
•You know, trainers come up to me and say, 'Hey, Barry, try this.' "

So if I walked up to Barry Bonds with a bag of heroin and said "Hey Barry, try this." he'd let me inject him with it without even bothering to find out what it was?

I don't buy it.

:tsk:

Apparently Bonds had no idea about this book coming out. Supposedly he was "stunned" at the news yesterday.

How could he or someone close to him not know? Surely it would have gotten back to him.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out...

DaveC said:

So if I walked up to Barry Bonds with a bag of heroin and said "Hey Barry, try this." he'd let me inject him with it without even bothering to find out what it was?

I don't buy it.

:tsk:

I agree. If someone gets in that great of shape NATURALLY, they are careful about every little thing that goes into their bodies (carb. intake, protiens, etc.). I find it hard to believe you let anyone shoot you with anything before knowing what it is.

why is this even news? half the game's on steroids.

i frankly don't care anymore... either ban every guy who took the stuff or just drop it already.

it's not like they've stopped taking them... yayyy baseaball has testing now!!!

great... most of balco's clients were track stars, who have to go through some of the most difficult steroid testing in the world... and none of them ever tested positive, despite being proven in the court of law to have recieved steroids.

it's all a joke. if they want to shorten their lifes and shrink their balls, that's their own choice.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
hahahahahahahahahaha

god we suck at everything.

Just to spite you, I think the US soccer team is planning on winning the World Cup.

Headache, you directing movies these days?

OCTOBER 25, 1986... RED SOX vs. THE METS: WHERE WERE YOU?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-> GAME 6 <-
Opens this Friday, March 10th in select theaters.
> http://www.game6film.com

=====================================
Enter your story at www.game6film.com
and have it included on the DVD
when it is released!
=====================================

A critic wants to destroy his play
his marriage is ending
and tonight...
His Team is One Game Away.

-> GAME 6 <-

Starring Michael Keaton, Griffin Dunne, Ari Graynor,
Shalom Harlow, Bebe Neuwirth, Catherine O'Hara,
and Robert Downey, Jr.

Directed by Michael Hoffman

Written by Don DeLillo

Produced by Amy Robinson, Griffin Dunne,
Leslie Urdang, Christina Weiss Lurie.
Executive Producers: Michael Nozik,
David Skinner, Bryn Iler

"(Game 6) attempts to walk the fine line between despair and
comedy, reality and imagination, and often succeeds. For
audiences prepared to take the leap of faith and accept the
unusual tone of the film, 'Game 6' should be a winner.
... The cast, especially Keaton, who carries the film on his
shoulders, is never less than fun to watch.
... And as 'Game 6' suggests and the Red Sox have eventually
proven, there is good reason to be positive about life,
even in the face of overwhelming odds."

- Hollywood Reporter

Don't think this movie will have the same impact it might have had if released say, 2 years ago.

They should have released it in June so we could have had a private screening prior to the Sox/Mets game at Fenway for Interference night.

Back
Top Bottom