Baseball Returneths - The MLB Thread: Spring Training Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jimmmm said:
This world series thing, is it the rounders equivalent of Footballs World Cup, or is it just coz no other country in the world plays rounders after junior school. you have to call it a world series just to make it sound more important than it actually is?

har har har, tally ho chap, that was a bloody fine funny you made there. quite clever, quite clever indeed.

now pardon me, i'm off to watch some footie with a nice set of tea and crumpets.

jimmmm said:
This world series thing, is it the rounders equivalent of Footballs World Cup, or is it just coz no other country in the world plays rounders after junior school.

it is not a "world event" it is american/canadian teams

i think they play baseball professionally in japan?

jimmmm said:
you have to call it a world series just to make it sound more important than it actually is?

basicly

the rockin edge said:

basicly

Given the salaries that MLB pays and the large number of foreign-born players currently playing in MLB, I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of the world's best players are currently in MLB.

So no, most Americans feel no compunctions about calling the MLB championship the "World Series".

speedracer said:

Given the salaries that MLB pays and the large number of foreign-born players currently playing in MLB, I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of the world's best players are currently in MLB.

Exactly. That's why nobody feels any qualms with awarding the Stanley Cup only to the NHL champion, because they world's best players are all in the NHL.

speedracer said:

So no, most Americans feel no compunctions about calling the MLB championship the "World Series".

sure the MLB has the best players from around the world

but how many continents does the baseball world have? 2? 3 maybe?
aren't most of the foreign born players in the mlb from central american nations?

while the MLB may be the best baseball players from all countries that play baseball, that doesn't make it a global sport or IMO give them the right to call it the "world" series

to truly be called the world championship the sport should be played all over the world. whether or not there is one main league or not, it should have players from all over the world.

i'm not saying that the "world series" is not the best in baseball, but it's hardly a "world" series.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i would be moooore than happy to go off into any of the "footie" threads and share my feelings on how mind numbingly boring i find it to be...

you don't like baseball, fine. don't post in this thread.

i said nothing about liking or disliking the sport. just calling it the world series

the rockin edge said:

sure the MLB has the best players from around the world

but how many continents does the baseball world have? 2? 3 maybe?
aren't most of the foreign born players in the mlb from central american nations?

while the MLB may be the best baseball players from all countries that play baseball, that doesn't make it a global sport or IMO give them the right to call it the "world" series

to truly be called the world championship the sport should be played all over the world. whether or not there is one main league or not, it should have players from all over the world.

i'm not saying that the "world series" is not the best in baseball, but it's hardly a "world" series.

While most players outside of the U.S. are indeed from Central American nations, you'd be surprised at how many countries are actually represented in MLB.

Oh, and Headache, regarding your picks - thanks for the entertaining read...

:lol:

ok i guess i should have posted this here instead of starting a new thread.

if the giants and bonds had any common sense, they would trade him to the AL so he could be the DH, and the giants could get someone who knees aren't gonna explode while in the outfield. I hear ,he;s only gonna play 100-120 games, he'll leave games early, his knee has to be like massaged bwtween innings! then what good is this guy? what kinda plan is that? thier gonna move him up to batting 2nd mabey? Thiers nothing in that lineup besides him and moises alou that can't be stopped when the pressures on. (from the other teams point of view). They say that the more he stands out in the field the worse it is for his knees. Thats great. He should relize he'll get more at bats and more pitches to hit as a AL DH then staying on the giants. And he dosn't have to leave the game for defensive replacement in the AL. The giants would get alot of good young talent for him and actuly have something to build on instead of the senoir citizens ball thier playing now.

it would make great sense for Bonds to move to the AL. This way, all those steroids will go towards his offensive skills, instead of both his offense and his defense, and he'll catch Aaron faster.

:up:

soccer sucks and is for pansies

but anyway, the giants would be nuts to trade bonds. i hate the guy, i don't like him at all, but he has put up some of the, if not the, best single seasons in recent history. having him in any lineup immediatly makes everybody else in the lineup better because nobody wants to pitch to him, so other players will see better pitches to hit. nobody would really give up a heck of a lot for him because he's old, and the giants would want an amazing amount of top prospects, if not already young proven players (more in the vein of harden than a zito because zito's eligible for free agency soon) and it would be nuts to give up a rich harden type player (not as good, just using him as an example) and others to get one, maybe two years out of bonds.

also about the "world" series

the best players in the world all play in major league baseball, there are no if's and's or's or but's about it. since the world's best players play in major league baseball, it is a world series. i apologize on behalf of bud selig and major league baseball if this irks any borin...i mean, soccer, fan.

StlElevation said:

the best players in the world all play in major league baseball, there are no if's and's or's or but's about it.

i already agreed with that

StlElevation said:
since the world's best players play in major league baseball, it is a world series. i apologize on behalf of bud selig and major league baseball if this irks any borin...i mean, soccer, fan.

i disagree

and soccer has nothing to do with this

unless you are implying that because i like soccer my opinion on any other sport is meaningless

What good is bonds if he's gonna leave the game in the 7th inning due to standing out in field too long? thier baseing everything on one guy and the one guy isn't even gonna be thier the whole game. And if bonds wants to make sure he gets 50 home runs he sould be in the AL. DH'S don't leave the game for defensive replacment. His swing is young but his defense is useless. Plus he should know the giants have no real chance to win the ws. The only way they woulda had a chance is if they were the ones who got manny rameriz and some real pitching. They might able to get by on this way thier doing it now to the playoffs but what happens when they eventuly run into a real team thats not from thier weak ass divison. Bonds can only do so much on that team that dosn't have too much else. Any AL team could beat them in a WS. even if they pressed thier luck that far. Oh wait, a AL team did beat them in 2002. And that giants team was actuly realy good.

the rockin edge said:

basicly

Actually they play professional baseball in Japan, Mexico, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, and you can arugue Cuba, they don't get paid that much there, but the players live of that. etc....

There will be and actual World tournament in March! But you're right the closest thing to a World series is the Caribbean series!

StlElevation said:
soccer sucks and is for pansies

I love baseball, it's my favourite sport, but also love Football and American football.

But how can you call Football for pansies, when like to watch a sport that doesn't even have contact?

the world series has been called the world series since the early 1900s, when baseball really wasn't played anywhere else but in america. the name has more to do with tradition other than it actually being a true world championship, even though the best players in the world do play in the major leagues and not in the various other leagues around the world.

now can we please get back to actually discussing baseball? if you want to further discuss the merits of the sport, a pissing contest between baseball and "footie" and/or calling it a world series, start your own thread.

Last edited:
allbecauseofu2 said:
ok i guess i should have posted this here instead of starting a new thread.

if the giants and bonds had any common sense, they would trade him to the AL so he could be the DH, and the giants could get someone who knees aren't gonna explode while in the outfield. I hear ,he;s only gonna play 100-120 games, he'll leave games early, his knee has to be like massaged bwtween innings! then what good is this guy? what kinda plan is that? thier gonna move him up to batting 2nd mabey? Thiers nothing in that lineup besides him and moises alou that can't be stopped when the pressures on. (from the other teams point of view). They say that the more he stands out in the field the worse it is for his knees. Thats great. He should relize he'll get more at bats and more pitches to hit as a AL DH then staying on the giants. And he dosn't have to leave the game for defensive replacement in the AL. The giants would get alot of good young talent for him and actuly have something to build on instead of the senoir citizens ball thier playing now.

if the giants had any common sense they would keep barry bonds until he decides it's time to retire.

what good is this guy? quite simply just having him in the lineup strikes fear in pitchers and instantly makes those around him better.

but that's not why they'd be crazy to get rid of him... they'd be crazy to get rid of him because he puts fannies in the seats. they'd be crazy to get rid of him now... it's not like it'll take much to win that terrible division. he played for less than a month last year and his presence in the lineup almost helped push them past the padres.

it might make sense for barry bonds to DH in the american league, but it makes no sense at all for the giants to get rid of him.

Report: Barry Bonds Done After '06

After sitting out most of 2005, Barry Bonds is calling this season his last. The Giants slugger told USA Today that he will retire with or without the all-time home run record.

yeah they can win the divison and then what? they couldn;t win the world series in 2002 with a much much better team with a stronger bonds. the white sox showed u can win it all with no big superstars. I mean he is the reason they can win the divsion but the world series? he is still only one man. one man with only one other big hitter in the line up (alou). put him on say like the red sox, with bonds/manny/ortiz/veritech and the potental great pithcing staff thats sounds like a team that can win it all.

StlElevation said:
umm, what exactly do you see the red sox giving up for bonds?

The way most sox fans propose trades on weei, probably mike lowell, adam stern, and maybe throw in lou merloni. :wink:

allbecauseofu2 said:
yeah they can win the divison and then what? they couldn;t win the world series in 2002 with a much much better team with a stronger bonds. the white sox showed u can win it all with no big superstars. I mean he is the reason they can win the divsion but the world series? he is still only one man. one man with only one other big hitter in the line up (alou). put him on say like the red sox, with bonds/manny/ortiz/veritech and the potental great pithcing staff thats sounds like a team that can win it all.

are you completely out of your mind? really... a post like this makes me think that you're just a u2kitten alter.

do you know nothing about sports? barry bonds is a money making machine. and the only thing that matters in pro sports, like it or not, is money. the giants would be crazy to trade him.

sure, maybe they could trade him to a mediocre AL team, lose out on all the ticket sales they're gonna get based on bonds' chase for ruth and then aaron... and maybe.. maybe they'll get a prospect who turns into something. but more likely than not they'l just trade away a gold mine for a mediocre player... as what happens with most veteran for rookie trades in baseball.

StlElevation said:
Report: Barry Bonds Done After '06

After sitting out most of 2005, Barry Bonds is calling this season his last. The Giants slugger told USA Today that he will retire with or without the all-time home run record.

Apparently, Bonds was quoted later that day saying that he would only retire if his body prevented him from playing.

While, he might retire, he's not ruling out playing after 2006. It all depends on what his body is capable of.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

are you completely out of your mind? really... a post like this makes me think that you're just a u2kitten alter.

do you know nothing about sports? barry bonds is a money making machine. and the only thing that matters in pro sports, like it or not, is money. the giants would be crazy to trade him.

sure, maybe they could trade him to a mediocre AL team, lose out on all the ticket sales they're gonna get based on bonds' chase for ruth and then aaron... and maybe.. maybe they'll get a prospect who turns into something. but more likely than not they'l just trade away a gold mine for a mediocre player... as what happens with most veteran for rookie trades in baseball.

sorry about the douchebaggery like tone... twas just home from the bar.

i'd never call anyone u2kitten sober. that's just not right.

i feel its a matter how have to trade him. Everything u say is true about the money and all. except his knees don;t know that. His knees are gonna explode out thier. its very bad for him to stand up for long out thier. its a superman at the plate and a slower then bernie williams crippled old man in the field. lol. and he has to leave the game early cause of it. So u don;t have the guy in extra innings . I hope they make alot of money with tix, casue thier not gonna win any world series. no way. they only way that woulda changed is if they gotten at least soem help. They would have to had gotten manny rameriz when he was "available". and mabey some pitching.

Back
Top Bottom