Baseball Playoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't forget how close the Stankees were to losing to the wildcard A's last season. Laugh if you want, but it could very well happen. And even then, both Minnesota and Oakland will be formidable competition. But then, I wouldn't expect a Stankees fan to use logic.

I think no one really believes that Joe Torre and his team will overlook any team, that is the fans work to do :laugh:

And for a little bit of logic:

Yankees records this seaon vs:

Angels 4 wins 3 loses
A's 5 wins 4 loses
Twins 6 wins 0 loses

And October belongs to the Yankess ;)

Not conclusive, but maybe some others should be worried to face the Yankees.

Last edited:
GO TWINS!

Let's hear it for the Underdog....Let's hear it for the Little Guy!

Don't count the Twins out. They have been at the top of the division for most of the season. They might just surprise everyone.

walkon11 said:

LMAO...
The way it looks now, either Anaheim or Oakland will be that wild card team...New York will be in for a shock if they overlook these two squads.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

so now the A's and the Angels are battling for first and the Mariners aren't even a factor.

The four game series last week and this week between the two California teams was some of the best baseball you will see.

** GO ANGELS**

WHOO HOOOOO!

Angels in the playoffs...finally! 10-5 over Texas, had me worried for the past week (haven't been able to get that final win to get us in!)...Next week, playoffs...New York...it'll be great!

GO ANGELS!!!!!:D

The Wanderer said:
inept managing for not bringing in Percival to get out of the 8th inning

now it's 8-5 Yanks, dumb fuck

God forbid bringing in a closer to pitch more than one inning. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't quite know what Scoscia was thinking there. Stankees win as a result. Hopefully the press gets on his ass for that.

Twins come back from behind after some weird mistakes in the first innings. And the Cards blow out the D-Backs. Could shape up to be an interesting Divisional round.

I don't really fault Scoscia for not bringing in Percival -- he managed the game the same way he did all year, a year in which he won 99 games.

I've watched the Angels all year, and believe me, Percy is not a sure thing when a) you bring him in in a non-save situation and b) he hasn't had a lot of work lately (which he hasn't - I think he's pitched once in the last week). He's a lot better when he's pitched the day before and is a little tired. When he's rested he tends to overthrow and has a hard time finding the strike zone.

What I really wish Scoscia had done was bring in the rookie Francisco Rodriquez instead of Donnelly, or even after Weber issued his first walk. Rodriguez is a strikeout pitcher and has a completely filthy slider. But that would have been going against the book - Rodriguez has only pitched about 8 innings in the Bigs - and if it backfired Scoscia would be hung.

*Okay, I just checked. Rodriguez has pitched 5 2/3 innings and he has 13 K's with an ERA of 0.00.

Last edited:
You can bring Percival or not, you can play good or not, Yankees magic will get you anyway, specially at Yankee Stadium, more to come.... :lmao:

mdf119121.jpg

:bow: :bow:

pub crawler said:
What I really wish Scoscia had done was bring in the rookie Francisco Rodriquez instead of Donnelly, or even after Weber issued his first walk. Rodriguez is a strikeout pitcher and has a completely filthy slider. But that would have been going against the book - Rodriguez has only pitched about 8 innings in the Bigs - and if it backfired Scoscia would be hung.

*Okay, I just checked. Rodriguez has pitched 5 2/3 innings and he has 13 K's with an ERA of 0.00.

Here's my two cents on the matter, considering that in 15 minutes we get underway w/ game two, and that I need to spout off because I'm still pissed over last night...

The above quote is a very good idea...as a matter of fact I was thinking the same thing. However, I think Scoscia tried to "out-manage" Torre...a dangerous move no matter what time of year it is. Why not put Percival in? You only need one more out to close out the inning, to which Percival would get another half-innning rest in case the at-bat went long. Even after yanking (no pun intended) Weber, they still went with Schoenweis, and then Donnelly. Props to the Yanks for winning Game 1, but there was no "magic" there...just timely hitting. Off to game 2...

exhibit A:

Jason Giambi -- lifetime vs. Troy Percival, 0 for 5, 5Ks :sexywink:

btw, Scott Schoenweiss was on my high school baseball team (he was a senior my freshman year)

The Wanderer said:
exhibit A:

btw, Scott Schoenweiss was on my high school baseball team (he was a senior my freshman year)

Wow...really? That's cool...nice stat too, considering he opens up the bottom of the 9th...

Interesting strategy this game too...putting in Donnelly to pitch to Vanderwal w/ one out...then bringing in Percival...anybody else questioning?...

BTW...I guess it paid off...a sigh of relief goes through my house.

Braves tie the series against the Giants, and the Cards go up 2-0 on Arizona, with the series heading back to St Louis. It'll be real hard for Arizona if they want to repeat. They don't seem to be scoring without Gonzalez.

Let's see Anaheim take the next 2 at home, and hopefully the Braves can finish off the Giants. I also see the Twins-A's series being very close. But I still think the A's will have what it takes to advance.

We're seeing some great baseball right now!

The Wanderer said:

Giambi can go suck a big fat one. Oh wait, he already does, and it belong to George Steinbrenner. :tongue:

Go Halos.

Congrats to the Angels :up:

This time the Yankee starters were weak, the relievers vulnerable, the defense atrocious, no clutch hitting... :(

And the Angels did what they needed and did it well, good luck.

aww, poor Yankees :(

how much money will this push Kind George to spend this off-season, because this is unacceptable! Torre Must Go!!!!

seriously, I knew the Yankees pitching had slipped a notch, but I thought it was still good enough for them to have a chance to win it all, but you have no chance when you surrender 8 runs per game :shame:

YES, CONGRATS to the Angels!!! YAY! Game 3 of that series was very good!!! :wave: Yankees! :lol:

:( Looks like the A's will fall to the Twins.. Bottom of the ninth... doesn't look good for the A's! :tsk:

I hope the Braves finish off the Giants tonight!! GO BRAVES! :D

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!! RAH TWINS!!!!!!!!!!
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

EAT YOUR HEART OUT DIEMEN!!!!!!!!

the only thing better than this was seeing the look on Torres face the other day!!!!!

WOO HAAA!!!:madspit:

Re: GO TWINS!

Lemon Meringue said:
Let's hear it for the Underdog....Let's hear it for the Little Guy!

Don't count the Twins out. They have been at the top of the division for most of the season. They might just surprise everyone.

Can I quote myself here? WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!

whffmag_15.jpg

ROOOOWR....:love:

I :heart: MY BOYS.........

Again...GO TWINS!!!!
*waves homer hanky*

I see youre all very excited about this....:shrug:

Go Halos!!

Just remember everyone...

Believe in the power of the Rally Monkey...

I would have a pic, but for some reason it's not letting me post it at the time...

Just believe...

Re: Go Halos!!

:scream: :scream: :sad: :sad: DAMN THE GIANTS!!!

My Braves will do it tomorrow! :yes: Damn Glavine just struggled big time again! :sad:

I wanted Oakland to win! :(

Back
Top Bottom