Barry Bonds Indicted by Grand Jury...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. BAW

ONE love, blood, life
Home run king Barry Bonds indicted on perjury, obstruction charges
By PAUL ELIAS, Associated Press Writer
November 15, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday for perjury and obstruction of justice, charged with lying when he told a federal grand jury that he did not knowingly use performance-enhancing drugs.

The indictment unsealed Thursday against baseball's home-run king culminated a four-year investigation into steroid use by elite athletes.

"During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes," the indictment read.

In August, the 43-year-old Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader. Late in the season, the San Francisco Giants told the seven-time National League MVP they didn't want him back next year. He is currently a free agent.

While Bonds was chasing Aaron, the grand jury was working behind closed doors to complete the long-rumored indictment.

"I'm surprised," said John Burris, one of Bonds' attorneys, "but there's been an effort to get Barry for a long time. "I'm curious what evidence they have now they didn't have before."

The indictment charged Bonds with lying when he said that he didn't knowingly take steroids given to him by his personal trainer, Greg Anderson. He also denied taking steroids at anytime in 2001 when he was pursuing the season home-run record.

He is also charged with lying that Anderson never injected him with steroids.

"Greg wouldn't do that," Bonds testified in December 2003 when asked if Anderson ever gave him any drugs that needed to be injected. "He knows I'm against that stuff."

***Maybe the Grand Jury read the November issue of Playboy wherein Bond's former gal-squeeze, Kimberly Bell, spilled her guts and showed her boobs as she recounted Bonds' alleged violence and steriod use...I saw and it read it and I was convinced...:lol:

Last edited:
I know everybody hates the guy and will get a kick out of this, but this smacks of the Clinton impeachment deal - a setup. Get them on the stand, swear them in, ask if they cheated/juiced, and then trump up some perjury charges.

I hope Barry's lawyer calls everyone involved in this and askes if they ever cheated on their wives, drove drunk, smoked a joint, whatever. I don't love Barry Bonds, but this is nothing but a witch hunt, and a joke.

CTU2fan said:
I know everybody hates the guy and will get a kick out of this, but this smacks of the Clinton impeachment deal - a setup. Get them on the stand, swear them in, ask if they cheated/juiced, and then trump up some perjury charges.

I hope Barry's lawyer calls everyone involved in this and askes if they ever cheated on their wives, drove drunk, smoked a joint, whatever. I don't love Barry Bonds, but this is nothing but a witch hunt, and a joke.

The key thing in the indictment?

"Positive tests"

BAM.

an average bonds season in the 6 years before he started using steroids (1993-1998): .307, 39 homers, 110 RBIs

an average bonds season in the 6 years after taking the juice (1999-2004): .328, 49 homers, 104 RBIs

bonds had 411 career homeruns and 3 MVPs before he ever took a single pill, needle, cream whatever. he was already a first ballot hall of famer... the juice just launched him into the stratosphere.

I gotta agree with the PTI talking heads...this wasn't just Bonds.

I almost feel bad that the entire steroid thing is being solely heaped onto him, when in a large part the idiots running MLB are to blame. Bud Selig was so content to let the balls keep flying out of parks and keep his gaze averted from what was really going on. What an ass.

OMG! I'm out in the desert right now so I'll scan it tomorrow but the Sports Editorials had a Sports Illustrated mag (drawing) and the cover depicted Bonds behind bars!!!

On the following page, the "Scales of Justice" statue is looking down on O.J. and saying..."This time its my turn!"

Priceless! and yes, I'm working...:giggle:

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

DaveC said:

The key thing in the indictment?

"Positive tests"

BAM.

positive tests prove nothing.

he's not being indicted for taking steroids. he's being indicted for perjury. in the original grand jury testimony he never said that he's never taken steroids. he said that he didn't knowingly take steroids (i.e. he claimed that his trainer said he was rubbing "flax seed oil" on him, never telling him that it was actually a steroid). that he tested positive does not prove that he knowingly took them. they would need a credible witness who either saw bonds take steroids knowingly or, better, injected bonds themselves.

Back
Top Bottom