Bands You Don't "Get."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
Please. If you hear numerous songs on the radio by a band and decide you don't like them, do you actually bother to go out and get their albums? Even though you don't like what you've heard over the space of years, do you bother to sit down and listen through multiple albums?

Of course you don't.

I've been subjected to quite enough Beatles marathons to know I don't like them and listening to some discs won't change that opinion. I'd rather listen to music I enjoy.

I sincerely doubt if U2 would ever have recorded an album were it not for the Beatles. Though you may not realise it, Beatles influences are hugely evident in almost all U2 albums. Unforgettable Fire is the only one that springs to mind where I don't really see any obvious Beatles influence.

I don't think any other musicians have been more of an influence on U2. You could argue maybe Bob Dylan or Lou Reed have, but that's about it.

Last edited:
the beatles influence on music is unparalelled by any other band ever. a wonderful band. Bono even says in his 'in conversations' book that they were the first band he truly loved.

Axver said:

Please. If you hear numerous songs on the radio by a band and decide you don't like them, do you actually bother to go out and get their albums? Even though you don't like what you've heard over the space of years, do you bother to sit down and listen through multiple albums?

Of course you don't.

buy them? no, not usually. find other means of hearing more songs, if they're considered classics or huge inspirations of other bands that i do like (either directly ie. what the band says, or indirectly ie. what comparisons reviews/fans mike)? certainly. doesn't mean i always like them. you've got every right to hate whoever you want to hate if you've spent as much time listening to beatles marathons or whatever as you claim. but just because you don't like them, do you really deny their influence? musically not appealing to you does not equal a band being overrated if they truly have had the long-term impact. and arguing that the beatles haven't, that's just ridiculous. so what is there not to get?

1stepcloser said:
the beatles influence on music is unparalelled by any other band ever. a wonderful band. Bono even says in his 'in conversations' book that they were the first band he truly loved.

ok, anyone can't deny those facts... but that doesn't mean that we all have to like the beatles... I like u2 (a lot) but I can't get the beatles, even if they were a big influence for bono, I don't fucking care.

Axver said:
A small list:

The Beatles - I do not "get it" with the Beatles AT ALL. And I've copped heaps of shit for this, but whenever I listen to their music, it just does entirely nothing for me.
Nirvana - Not only do they do nothing for me, they genuinely bug me and grate on my ears. Next, please.
The Arcade Fire - This one I'm hesitant to judge, as I haven't heard what I'd deem a significant enough chunk of their material, but what I have heard has not enthused me and doesn't seem worthy of all the accolades people here love to chuck at them.
Radiohead - I enjoy Radiohead in small chunks; more than a few songs and Thom Yorke's voice starts to bother me. I don't understand the "let's worship Radiohead as the god and saviour of music" mentality.
Coldplay - I'll just leave it at this.
Maroon 5 - Everyfuckingone at my school loved them in 2004 and I never understood why.
Green Day - I have just one word to describe this band, and it is 'pathetic'.
The Killers - See Green Day.

That should do for now.

well, to each his own.

but dude, you gotta provide a list of artists you do like in order for me to make sense of that post.

I agree with the killers, marroon 5......but radiohead, nirvana, and the beatles????

dude......I won't say they are the greatest bands ever, but you have to admit those are 3 amazing bands.

*p.s.* please go see u2 live someday.

why does he have to prove a list for approval for these to be legitimately not 'got'? ugh, chalk that up for worst sentence of the year award, lol. i might be biased because i agree with the list, but this is precisely about personal choice and taste. you either get something or you dont. you love it or you dont. as upsetting as this might be to fans of certain groups, not everyone is going to love your beloved! i dont mean to sound so sarcastic, but i dont understand the backlash from fans of whatever group in these threads. we need to accept and deal with the fact not everyone loves what your group does!
:slant:

inmyplace13 said:
Here's one: Nickelback.

As in, I don't "get" how anyone in their right mind coughmyroommatecough could listen to them without stabbing themself in the eye.

How did our eyes get so red?
And what the hell is on Joey's head?

best two lines of lyrics evah!!!!

:rockon:

I understand you completly... Nickelback is sooooo horrible!!! Especially their lyrics!

financeguy said:

With the possible exceptions of Fitter Happier and Electioneering, I consider every track on OK Computer to be great.

I love Electioneering :sad:

t_more_cowbell.jpg

^ you said it Brotha or Sista...
Honestly, I cant say this anywhere else w/o being shunned but Nirvana's music just seems so talentless and too accesible for so callled goth and depressed teens who shop at hot topic:huh:

Back
Top Bottom