Bands You Don't "Get."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:
Here we go.

Pearl Jam - Most people I know outside the online world heap piles and piles of adoration on Pearl Jam. And I just...don't...get it. Eddie Vedder's voice makes me want to hurl myself off a cliff.

Nirvana - Kurt Cobain's voice irritated the hell out of me too.

REM - Sure, I can tolerate Automatic For The People, but I can't get into any of their other stuff.

Franz Ferdinand - Some of it is okay, but it's hardly original.

Green Day - BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Smashing Pumpkins - I feel the same way about them as I do with Pearl Jam.

Coldplay - Don't even get me started.

Wow. I disagree with all of that.

Though you could accuse me of liking most music - accept teeny-bopper pop and Nashville country. :yuck:

AtomicBono said:

you've tried? that's more than I've done :wink:

Dave Matthews Band. Talk about overrated.

Yeah, I tried. I bought all their CD's about a year ago. (Their first album is ok). My brother and sister and I tend to like the exact same things so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I couldn't never get into Dave Matthews Band either. My ex-boyfriend loved them. They are indeed over-rated.

Pink Floyd is :drool:

Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins are :drool:

Green Day is good if I'm in the right mood :drool:

REM is :drool: for the most part.

Nirvana is :drool: sometimes, meh at others.

Pearl Jam is good sometimes, sometimes not.

Coldplay is good but overrated.

I 'get' them all.

YBORCITYOBL said:
1>. Here we go, I've been scoffed at by so many friends for absolutely hating this band. ROLLING STONES - I really don't understand why they were so huge. I think they were good but to talk about them the way everyone does is just beyond me. As for being talented musically - I actualy think they all suck.

This was the most glaring omission from my list. I cannot enjoy a single Stones song and I really don't get why they're so popular or how they've lingered for so many years. Jagger's voice is just ... a trainwreck.

Axver said:

This was the most glaring omission from my list. I cannot enjoy a single Stones song and I really don't get why they're so popular or how they've lingered for so many years. Jagger's voice is just ... a trainwreck.

Keith Richards > You

Sorry, but the Stones are great, have you never shaked your ass to Sympathy For The Devil:wink:

Pearl Jam it's my 2nd favourite band, Nirvana my 3rd, and I also love Beatles, Franz, Radiohead, Muse, Coldplay and some other bands refered in this thread.

I will only defend Nirvana, since it's being the most attacked. But calm down guys, I respect your opinion but I have to say something :wink:

They are the band that saved my from crappy rap and pop music. They (Kurt) writed great rock songs only with power chords and lame solos. Ever heard Aneurysm, In Bloom, Lounge Act, School, Serve the servants, Sliver, You Know You're Right, Dive, Pennyroyal Tea... ?? :rockon: :rockon:

And you can also find many slower and melodic stuff. The MTV Unplugged it's just :drool: About a Girl, All Apologies, Something in the Way, Dumb »» Amazing songs.

Only Polly really sucks.

AND NOW...
the bands that I "don't get"...
:wink:

The Rolling Stones
DMB
All the New Metal bands... especially Limp Bizkit
All the Punk-Pop bands except Green Day

Well, I'm still waiting for someone to say Oasis, Mettalica, Guns 'N' Roses, RHCP and Iron Maiden... from my favourites bands these were not stated.

Yeah, I like U2, Coldplay, Radiohead and Oasis at the same time.
And I like Nirvana and Guns

:eyebrow:

Last edited:
I don't get the head banging heavy metal stuff where the singers are screaming and you can't make out anything they are screaming about, people are all dressed solemly in black like at a wake or funeral, looking half dead or throwing themselves at one another in a mosh pit.

Carek1230 said:
I don't get the head banging heavy metal stuff where the singers are screaming and you can't make out anything they are screaming about, people are all dressed solemly in black like at a wake or funeral, looking half dead or throwing themselves at one another in a mosh pit.

I hope you aren't thinking of Metallica and Iron Maiden.

Radiohead, output after "The Bends". Everyone else can love them as much as they like, I just like them when they used melody.

Nick Cave. He's a major deity in Australia, but again, :shrug:

The Libertines and Babyshambles. I cannot stand either.

Razorlight, The Bravery, The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, The Futureheads, Hard-Fi. That whole wave of bands. I just can't take to them. In my ears, they all merge into one at some point.

Led Zeppelin - lord knows I've tried, but apart from a few songs they just don't do anything for me.

Pearl Jam - I always found them kinda frustrating. I think Eddie Vedder is an -amazing- frontman, with one of rock's coolest voices and great presence, but again, apart from a few individual songs their music generally bores me.

Nirvana - Good, but not half as great as great as many people like to make out.

Green Day - Can't see what all the hype is all about and why everyone seems to love them so much, I find their music either dull or annoying (more often the latter). IMO the most overrated band going at the moment.

Rolling Stones - Pretty much agree with what Axver and YBORCITYOBL said, can't see what's so special about these either.

KhanadaRhodes said:

one guy's library was seriously 99% phish music, 1% random shit (like the dude had five versions of bananaphone). then he im'ed me over rendezvous and within five seconds i realized he perpetuated the stereotypes people believe about phish fans (stupid stoner type, etc).

Bananaphone :lol: ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, banana-phone DO DO DO DA DODODO

i've got this FEELING
it's so APPEALING
for us to get together
and SING, SING!!!

...I'll stop.

The Rolling Stones are overrated, imo. I DO like them (Gimme Shelter fucking ROCKS), and I understand how they're important to music and all that, I just don't go crazy over them and I find songs like Sympathy for the Devil to be rather boring at times :shrug:

Coldplay are also overrated, but I love them anyway :wink: as for Green Day... you should see them live. I gained soooo much more respect for them when I saw them live. They are up there with U2, no joke.

GibsonGirl said:
Here we go.

Pearl Jam - Most people I know outside the online world heap piles and piles of adoration on Pearl Jam. And I just...don't...get it. Eddie Vedder's voice makes me want to hurl myself off a cliff.

Nirvana - Kurt Cobain's voice irritated the hell out of me too.

REM - Sure, I can tolerate Automatic For The People, but I can't get into any of their other stuff.

Franz Ferdinand - Some of it is okay, but it's hardly original.

Green Day - BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Smashing Pumpkins - I feel the same way about them as I do with Pearl Jam.

Coldplay - Don't even get me started.

:up: I agree with everything except Smashing Pumpkins and Franz

bayernfc said:
Not that we don't like them, but come on, U2 are also pretty overrated.

I don't agree with that, if anything they're underrated

if most of my friends heard Zooropa or Pop, they'd freakin' love them

bob marley!!

my whole damn college were infatuated with mr bobby, the shirts, the damn music playing all day, the dreads!!!

it drove me nuts,
white people shouldnt have dreads period.

i dont understand what there isnt to "get" about radiohead, theyre just brilliant:drool:

but im sure thats what people say about nirvana and led zeppelin:huh:

Last edited:
xiu xiu

I mean, I get them...and everybody I know who has a good taste in music likes them...but, for some reason I can't get into it

maybe I haven't heard the right stuff yet

Basstrap said:
xiu xiu

I mean, I get them...and everybody I know who has a good taste in music likes them...but, for some reason I can't get into it

maybe I haven't heard the right stuff yet

listen to songs like "Sad Pony Guerrilla Girl" or "I Luv The Valley Oh!"

well, I'm a big Xiu Xiu fan, what can I say

Back
Top Bottom