Banana, Kiribati Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver and I don't need sheets. We're already as white as we're going to get.

Quoted for truth, though apparently my Macbook's little camera makes me look like I have one hell of a case of sunburn.

You look pretty snazzy tonight, imo.

Heh, thanks. I rather like my hair and beard this length. Much more manageable than the 'fro too.

p1050716.jpg

The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving. 1000000/10.

This is my favourite book in the whole world. I've never read anything quite like it. One can connect with the characters so well - and also, it has a bear. And a stuffed dog called Sorrow. It's funny, moving, tragic, joyful book. Unfortunately, I harbour a strong dislike for every other one of his books that I've tried!

p1050715h.jpg

My Favourite Wife by Tony Parsons. 5/10.

I was disappointed by this book. I normally love Tony Parsons, although his books all follow the same formula. However, in this one, the characters were two dimensional and the setting (China) didn't come to life for me at all. Bland. Do not recommend. However, I do highly recommend "Stories We Could Tell".

picture0041.jpg

(Yeah, I put a rugby jersey on.)

Amazing book, this. The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer. Chillingly true story. Legitimately scary. Almost funny at some points. 9.5/10

That sounds like another one I might like to read. I just like scary books I guess lol.

The inevitable has happened.

Photo45.jpg

The Railways of New Zealand: A Journey Through History by Geoffrey B. Churchman and Tony Hurst. 8.5/10.

This book provides a great overview of the development of New Zealand's railways, institutional changes, and railway culture, then follows with short (and in a few cases, not so short) articles about the history of each individual line of the system past and present. It's pretty much the introduction to the Kiwi railway system and essential reading for anybody who wants to get a quick grasp on the topic, though it's not without its faults, such as stray factual errors that you can expect in any work involving Churchman, and there is a good deal of room for improvement.

So why am I giving this a thumbs up, despite only 8.5/10?

This is the reason I am a historian. Look at how tatty the book is - I've had it since I was four. I fell in love with New Zealand history through this book. Julius Vogel, the closest thing I have to a political hero, figures prominently in railway development and this sparked my inquisitiveness about 19th century socio-political history.

The pictures rule too.

Another something cool I have:

IMG000238.png

All five of these, but these are in English, and I bought them in the States, the Star Wars ones are in Japanese, and I bought them in Japan.

p1050715h.jpg

My Favourite Wife by Tony Parsons. 5/10.

I was disappointed by this book. I normally love Tony Parsons, although his books all follow the same formula. However, in this one, the characters were two dimensional and the setting (China) didn't come to life for me at all. Bland. Do not recommend. However, I do highly recommend "Stories We Could Tell".

Love the disgusted look. :p

I could go for this.

Millions of dead motherfuckers, all because they gave the wrong answer to the god question: "Do you believe in God?"
"No." Boom! Dead. "Do you believe in God?" "Yes..." "Do you believe in my God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "My god has a bigger dick than your god!"

I don't have a webcam (thank goodness!) so we won't be getting any photos of me holding books (thank goodness x2!)

Here's another question I have. How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? Are we so much better than chickens all of a sudden? When did this happen; that we passed chickens in goodness? Name six ways we're better than chickens. [brief pause] See, nobody can do it! You know why? 'Cause chickens are decent people. You don't see chickens hanging around in drug gangs, do you? No. You don't see a chicken strapping some guy into a chair and hooking up his nuts to a car battery, do you? [pause] When's the last chicken you heard about came home from work and beat the shit out of his hen, huh? Doesn't happen... 'cause chickens are decent people.

Disney fans should not click on this:

What else bothers me? Mickey Mouse's birthday being announced on the television news as if it's an actual event! I don't give a shit! If I cared about Mickey Mouse's birthday I'd have memorized it years ago! And I'd send him a card: "Dear Mickey, Happy Birthday. Love, George." I don't do that! Why? Don't give a shit! Fuck Mickey Mouse. Fuck him in the asshole with a big rubber dick! Then break it off and beat him with the rest of it! I hope Mickey dies. I do, I hope he goddamn dies. I hope he gets hold of some tainted cheese...! And dies! Lonely and forgotten. Behind the baseboard of a soiled bathroom in a poor neighborhood... with his hand in Goofy's pants... Mickey Mouse - shit. No wonder no one in the world takes our country seriously; we waste valuable television time informing our citizens of the age of an imaginary rodent!

p1050714h.jpg

The Doors of Perception/Heaven and Hell by Aldous Huxley. 8/10.

These are two essays describing Huxley's experiences under the influence of Mescalin. This was very interesting, and written in an engaging manner. Good if you want something a little bit different to read.

This either

The seven dwarfs were each on different little trips. Happy was into grass and grass alone … Happy, that's all he did. Sleepy was into reds. Grumpy, too much speed. Sneezy was a full blown coke freak. Doc was a connection. Dopey was into everything. Any old orifice will do for Dopey. He's always got his arm out and his leg up. And then, the one we always forget, because he was Bashful. Bashful didn't use drugs. He was paranoid on his own. Didn't need any help on that ladder.

I realized some time ago that I'm not separate from nature just because I have a primate brain - an upper brain - because underneath the primate brain, there's a mammalian brain, and beneath the mammalian brain, there's a reptilian brain; and it's those two lower brains that made the upper brain possible in the first place. Here's the way it works: The primate brain says, "Give peace a chance." The mammalian brain says, "Give peace a chance, but first let's kill this motherfucker." And the reptilian brain says, "Let's just kill the motherfucker, go to the peace rally and get laid."

Cannibalism. Imagine that: chowing down on another human being. You gotta be all out of beef jerky, man. You gotta be really fucking hungry. But it happens, doesn't it? Still happens to this day. A bunch of people stranded in the wilderness run out of pop tarts, gotta eat something... Might as well be Liam! And by the way, how do you decide who to eat first? How do you decide who's first on the barbecue rack? Do you pick on the little guy because he's skinny and he can't fight back, or do you all gang up on the bodybuilder because he's got a lot of steaks and chops on him?

Cannibalism. Imagine that: chowing down on another human being. You gotta be all out of beef jerky, man. You gotta be really fucking hungry. But it happens, doesn't it? Still happens to this day. A bunch of people stranded in the wilderness run out of pop tarts, gotta eat something... Might as well be Liam! And by the way, how do you decide who to eat first? How do you decide who's first on the barbecue rack? Do you pick on the little guy because he's skinny and he can't fight back, or do you all gang up on the bodybuilder because he's got a lot of steaks and chops on him?

Hey! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom