Banana, Kiribati Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
picture0034.jpg

The Real Inspector Hound - Tom Stoppard. I actually really enjoyed this. Great parody of the crime writing genre, great use of absurdism and Stoppard's trick of recycling old texts hadn't grown old by this point. 8.5/10

This sounds fantastic!

:love:
picture0031.jpg

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf by Edward Albee. Better than The Zoo Story, darker, funnier. 8.5/10

I really need to get on this one

picture0030.jpg

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard. FUCKING KILL TO GET A COPY OF THIS. IT'S FUCKING AMAZING. Stoppard utilises two minor characters from Hamlet to create an incredibly dark, funny and sad story about life. 10/10, five stars, two orgasms, whatever.

:uhoh: ok.

Last one. :(

picture0037n.jpg

This one scared the fuck out of me. Seriously. 9/10. Capote's a great writer who's detail simply amazes me.

I've got to read that.

And I hope we get Bono's In Cold Blood on any future Zooropa remaster.

0688163165.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Excellent murder mystery, keeps you guessing 9/10

Photo33.jpg

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. 6/10.

I enjoyed reading this, but I don't recommend you read this unless you actually want to. The story itself is very compelling, but Hugo just goes on one random essay after another. They're tedious, they disrupt the rhythm, and sometimes they're just flat-out boring topics to begin with. Also, he takes about 50 pages to describe some bloody bishop. We get the point.

Ugh, I have this one somewhere, I really want to read it! I just always forget.

Last one. :(

picture0037n.jpg

This one scared the fuck out of me. Seriously. 9/10. Capote's a great writer who's detail simply amazes me.

OOOH!!! I need to get this one too! :starts list:

If you have overdue books at the university library, you can't check any more out. I go through a lot of books in one year. I'm a historian - checking out what other historians have written is my bread and butter.

But! I have come up with a solution. Wait and see.

Ah. In our school, we had this huge bookroom. I "borrowed" a dozen and never took them back.

This sounds fantastic!

I really need to get on this one

:uhoh: ok.

Hound is based on two theatre critics who are watching a murder mystery and get involved in the play itself. There's a fucking ingenious twist at the end, too.

Guildenstern is a bleeding amazing book. Seriously, get it. It's only about 80 pages long. Everyone here will love it.

I didn't realise Rose and Guil was a book before it was a hilarious movie.

Hound is based on two theatre critics who are watching a murder mystery and get involved in the play itself. There's a fucking ingenious twist at the end, too.

Guildenstern is a bleeding amazing book. Seriously, get it. It's only about 80 pages long. Everyone here will love it.

You're making this sound even better. Seriously, as soon as my dad gets my account back on order here at school, I'll see if they have it at the book store. Or actually, I'll check the library tomorrow.

I'll look for this one too. 80 pages is not asking much.

Photo34.jpg

The ONLY history on the Moriori, the original inhabitants of the Chatham Islands. This is one of the best works of history I have ever read. King was commissioned to write it by surviving descendents of the Moriori (the last full-blooded Moriori died in 1933), and he shows why he was one of New Zealand's most popular and respected historians. Numerous bullshit myths about the Moriori are debunked and he does a stunning job with the few resources he has to recount who the Moriori were and what happened to them. His competence with accessing the pre-contact Moriori is second to none.

This book should be gushed over.

You're making this sound even better. Seriously, as soon as my dad gets my account back on order here at school, I'll see if they have it at the book store. Or actually, I'll check the library tomorrow.

I'll look for this one too. 80 pages is not asking much.

You're a film major, yes? Make a film version of this.

Yeah. It sounds crap but is utterly brilliant. Stoppard uses the appropriation of Hamlet EXTREMELY well.

Photo34.jpg

The ONLY history on the Moriori, the original inhabitants of the Chatham Islands. This is one of the best works of history I have ever read. King was commissioned to write it by surviving descendents of the Moriori (the last full-blooded Moriori died in 1933), and he shows why he was one of New Zealand's most popular and respected historians. Numerous bullshit myths about the Moriori are debunked and he does a stunning job with the few resources he has to recount who the Moriori were and what happened to them. His competence with accessing the pre-contact Moriori is second to none.

This book should be gushed over.

Moriori?

Ok, a lot of books I read this past 12 months/school year/last few months were recommended to me by Mike/NSW, so just heads up.

First there's this series (I don't have the first book at school with me)

IMG000215.png

Which is a fantasy series, but it's definitely more realistic than something like Lord of the Rings, and it comes off really more medieval than anything else, and the history nerd in me adores it. Honestly, this is probably my favorite book series now. 9/10 only because sometimes I feel like it drags. (Oh the name of the series is A Song of Ice and Fire)

Photo35.jpg

The Possessed by Fyodor Dostoevsky. 2.5/10.

The worst Dostoevsky I've read (and I think I've read most of his works by now, with The Brothers Karamazov a glaring exception - ironically, it's the Dostoevsky book I've owned the longest). Far too drawn out and takes forever to get the point. When it does get to the point, it's disappointing.

Don't read this unless you've decided to be a Dostoevsky completist.

Alright, I give up. I'm lame and don't read as many books as I used to.

You're a film major, yes? Make a film version of this.

Yeah. It sounds crap but is utterly brilliant. Stoppard uses the appropriation of Hamlet EXTREMELY well.

Is it going to matter that I actually um...haven't read Hamlet yet?

Photo35.jpg

The Possessed by Fyodor Dostoevsky. 2.5/10.

The worst Dostoevsky I've read (and I think I've read most of his works by now, with The Brothers Karamazov a glaring exception - ironically, it's the Dostoevsky book I've owned the longest). Far too drawn out and takes forever to get the point. When it does get to the point, it's disappointing.

Don't read this unless you've decided to be a Dostoevsky completist.

i'm so ashamed that I haven't read the Brothers Karamazov yet...I really need to. I wrote a paper on it based on the spark notes cause I just didn't have TIME, but I promised myself I'd get around to it :reject:

Ok, a lot of books I read this past 12 months/school year/last few months were recommended to me by Mike/NSW, so just heads up.

First there's this series (I don't have the first book at school with me)

IMG000215.png

Which is a fantasy series, but it's definitely more realistic than something like Lord of the Rings, and it comes off really more medieval than anything else, and the history nerd in me adores it. Honestly, this is probably my favorite book series now 9/10 only because sometimes I feel like it drags. (Oh the name of the series is A Song of Ice and Fire)

Didn't he produce some Beatles albums? :p

The Moriori were descended from the Maori, but due to centuries of isolation on the Chathams, they had gained a unique racial and cultural identity that makes them as distinct from the Maori as the Maori are from their ancestral Polynesian races.

Only to a very small degree. The two main characters are two minor characters and they interact with other characters from Hamlet in a very different way.

Ok. I mean, like, I don't even know how Hamlet ends! I know the basic plot, but I've completely avoided anything about it because I want to read it some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom