Baltimore vs Washington DC daytrip......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
So we are doing an impromptu trip to see friends in Frederick, MD for Memorial Day. We'll be on our own for most of the day on Tuesday until our flight home ~8pm.

Karl really wants to go to DC for the day, but our flight is leaving out of BWI and I think it will be hard to get from Frederick to DC then back up to BWI for our flight home that evening.

We will have a rental car so we can get ourselves around. Of course I'm an animal person so I'm pushing to do the Maryland Zoo, is that an all day thing or just a few hours? I've heard good things about the big Aquarium but not sure if it will be worth it to shell out $60 for both of us to walk through the place.

I also don't have any idea how bad the traffic really is for evening rush hour, how much time we need to allow if going from the Inner Harbor area to BWI. Or if we do end up doing DC instead, how much time to allow back to BWI.

I have general ideas for distances/times from Mapquest but not sure how much leeway to factor in for traffic.

SO for anyone who has been to Baltimore and/or DC, what would you vote to do? Any attractions you wouldn't want to miss?

Definitely DC. Tons of free stuff to do and see. I've been to the aquarium in Baltimore and while it was a nice way to pass an evening, it was not worth the full price of admission (i went on some sort of matinee price).

I usually come to DC from the south, so am not sure of the logistics of coming in where you'll be. However, if possible I recommend finding the nearest Metro station, parking the car and taking the Metro into and out of downtown DC. That way you don't have to deal with traffic or finding your way on one-way streets.

I'd say DC also just because there IS so much to do and see and a lot of it is free. If you have your own car that is a big plus. I guess it does depend on traffic and how much you really want to spend (if you decided on the zoo or aquarium). Also you can go to an aquarium or a zoo most anywhere, but you can't see things like the White House, the Lincoln or Jefferson Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, etc. anywhere but in our nation's capitol.

Maybe Amy (U2Fanatic) could help with some insight as to traffic, rush hour etc. since she lives in that area:wink:

Most of all have fun whatever you guys end up doing. I think it's so cool how well you plan your trips. I'm the same way.

One has the highest murder rate (Baltimore) and the other is the capital of the free world. :hmm: -DC!

Rush hour on the BW parkway back to the airport can get pretty bad, however.

:wink: :yes: i would vote for DC also, so much to see and do..without a car is right! But DC traffic is Terrible, so please leave plenty of time to get to the airport and leave!! You should definetly use your time to see stuff while you can!:up:

hey if you are trying to navigate dc to bwi take the metro! the green line takes you to Greenbelt, MD. From there you can take the B30 bus to BWI airport, which takes about 30-45 minutes. of course, that means you'll have to take your luggage with you, but i'm sure you can work that out.

IMO, DC > Bmore, but that's because I lived there, so I'm a bit biased :D

Some local hotspots include:
Brickskeller (beer from all over the world!) near Dupont Circle metro
Eastern Market (awesome flea market!) at Eastern Market metro
Aboretum...um...I think it is off the Brookland metro, but you'll have to see which bus takes you there, it isn't immediately within walking distance

Also if you wanna go anywhere on the mall, take the Federal Triangle metro stop. The Smithsonian stop is usually packed, but you can easily walk to the mall from FT. FDR's memorial is also within walking distance, and perhaps my favorite memorial in DC.

If you decide to Bmore it instead, IT IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST that you stop by Vaccaro's where you can meet my ex-boyfriend, Baci Gelati. Please tell him that although we're apart, I still love him and miss him.

Well I guess now our friends are planning to take us to DC for actual Memorial Day (monday), so we'll get to experience a bit of each. So I hear one vote to NOT spend full price on Aquarium admission in Baltimore, any other thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom