Avril Lavigne...come on sound off...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
browneyedgirl said:

You've got to kidding...............:scratch: :rant:

:tsk: :mad:

from mtv.com:
Avril Lavigne Takes Off Her Clothes For Rock Hall Of Fame

"It's the coolest thing when chick fans come up to me and tell me that I've been so inspiring to them." ? Avril Lavigne

While many have left their hearts in San Francisco, Avril Lavigne will leave her clothes in Cleveland.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum intends to display the outfit the spunky 17-year-old singer/guitarist wore in her MTV Video Music Awards-nominated "Complicated" clip, according to a Hall spokesperson. (Click for the complete list of 2002 VMA Nominees.) While flattered at the honor, Lavigne is just as surprised as anyone that her baggy cargo shorts, fitted white tank top and signature necktie will hang in the same building that houses such illustrious memorabilia as John Lennon's 1965 Rickenbacker 12-string and Hank Williams' white wool cowboy hat.

"I think that's ridiculous, because I've had one single out and I'm like this new kid in this music scene," she stammered with disbelief. "OK, I think it's funny, but at the same time, I'm like, 'Hell yeah, I'll give you my clothes!' "

Actually, Lavigne can rest assured that her outfit won't hang next to those items as a permanent exhibit. Rather, it will be shown in a section called On the Charts, along with items from more contemporary artists like Destiny's Child, Sum 41 and No Doubt.

This latest accolade is just the tip of the iceberg for Lavigne, whose debut album Let Go has sold over a million copies, according to SoundScan, since its release in early June. Peppering her career's steep upward trajectory have been sold-out concerts, a European promotional tour, cover stories and features in national magazines, and the latest feathers in her cap, an invitation to the 2002 Video Music Awards, where's she's set to present an award as well as vie for a Moonman in the Best New Artist in a Video category.

While it may seem it's all been a breeze for Lavigne, a whirlwind career can take its toll on anyone, especially someone bursting with as much energy as she.

"Lots of late nights," she lamented. "Flights get in late, and by the time you check into your hotel room, unpack your toothbrush, brush your teeth, go to bed ... and then you have to get up early in the morning ? which is what it's been like for me lately ? my body's just not used to it and it's getting worn down. So my throat is getting kind of hoarse and raspy. I have a couple of red patches in there now, so I'm on some antibiotics to fix that up. I just have to try to stop talking and screaming and jumping around when I don't really need to."

Despite the irritations, Lavigne can tolerate the sore throats and tired eyes when she gets a chance to meet her fans, whose admiration makes it all worthwhile.

"It's the coolest thing when chick fans come up to me and tell me that I've been so inspiring to them," she said, beaming. "When fans come up to me and say that kind of stuff, it just puts a smile on my face that's very irreplaceable."

It's safe to say a similar grin will be pasted across her face come August 29 ? just the fact that she's going is an honor, she said. And if she winds up besting Ashanti ("Foolish"), John Mayer ("No Such Thing"), B2K ("Uh Huh") and Puddle of Mudd ("Blurry") for that precious statuette, her exuberance may not be containable. Though to the selectively well-mannered Lavigne, who must've been raised right in the small Canadian town of Napanee, Ontario, winning isn't everything.

"When [my manager] told me, I was like, 'Omigod, I've been nominated!' Now for the rest of my life, I can say that I've been nominated for a VMA. This might be the only time this ever happens, so I'm just going to have fun with it. The winning part is not something that I'm expecting ... I'm just totally happy and a goal of mine has just been achieved."

:banghead:

In reference to comment made about how clothing isn't the most important element of punk music: This is completely wrong. Punk was and still is about style over substance. The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Nirvana, Green Day, and the like never would have made it had it not been for their image, their clothing, their personas.

Avril doesn't sound like punk, but claiming that punk is solely about the music is ludicrous.

I liked her when I first heard Complicated but then this whole "anti-Britney" thing started sounding a little contrived. Her I'm a tough skater chick image is wearing a little thin and I don't think she's got enough talent to sustain a long career. I think she's a passing fad. It also doesn't help that she's been rude and bitchy in every interview I've seen her do.

Danospano said:
In reference to comment made about how clothing isn't the most important element of punk music: This is completely wrong. Punk was and still is about style over substance. The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Nirvana, Green Day, and the like never would have made it had it not been for their image, their clothing, their personas.

Avril doesn't sound like punk, but claiming that punk is solely about the music is ludicrous.

Actually, it's attitude over substance...if it were style, that would mean that anybody who put on a leather jacket, ripped pair of jeans, flannel, etc. would be punk. Punk (in the real sense) is about ideals, attitudes and views on the world. Yes, it is also expressed in their style, but this is true of a lot of other music as well. The image became popular after the music did.

"It's the coolest thing when chick fans come up to me and tell me that I've been so inspiring to them," she said, beaming. "When fans come up to me and say that kind of stuff, it just puts a smile on my face that's very irreplaceable."

- Huhhuh. She said "chick"
- Hehe, cool. That chick is irreplacebale.
- Yeah. huhhuh. Cool
- Shutup Beavis! You're acting like a wussie!
- Oh. Hehe. Chick.

Marty

daisybean said:
eh, she's a passing fad...noone will remember her in two years.
Here today...nowhere tomorrow...anyone remember Fiona Apple?

Avril really endeared herself to me with her "Alright" scream at the MTV podium...see ya honey.

Hewson said:
Here today...nowhere tomorrow...anyone remember Fiona Apple?

Ok, there is NO comparision between Avril Lavigne and Fiona Apple. If Avril ever wrote a song as good as Criminal, Shadowboxer, or basically anything off Fiona's second album, or sang with as much soul as Fiona does, I'd be very surprised indeed. Also, I think Fiona's disappearance from the mainstream had a bit more to do with the MTV-bashing acceptance speech Khanada mentioned than with the quality of her music.

That said, I too think Miss Lavigne will have a short-lived stay at the top.

I'm not bashing Fiona nor comparing her music to that of Avril LANecktie. Just using her as an example of how quickly an artist can go from being in to being forgotten. Fiona was all the rage for a while, cause she was different from pop princesses, wrote her own material etc., etc....sound familiar?
Enjoy your 15 minutes Avril.

Last edited:
walkon11 said:

Actually, it's attitude over substance...if it were style, that would mean that anybody who put on a leather jacket, ripped pair of jeans, flannel, etc. would be punk. Punk (in the real sense) is about ideals, attitudes and views on the world. Yes, it is also expressed in their style, but this is true of a lot of other music as well. The image became popular after the music did.

You're right. I wasn't clear with what I said. By style I was including the attitude, but that's my mistake. You have to admit that the style of any band determines how they are perceived. It doesn't matter if you are talent or not, being marketable is essential. And quite honestly, I don't the most famous punk bands had anymore talent than you could teach someone in a couple of weeks.

Danospano said:

You're right. I wasn't clear with what I said. By style I was including the attitude, but that's my mistake. You have to admit that the style of any band determines how they are perceived. It doesn't matter if you are talent or not, being marketable is essential. And quite honestly, I don't the most famous punk bands had anymore talent than you could teach someone in a couple of weeks.

It's cool...I agree, marketing plays a huge role in music today, and in the past as well...I think there are certain bands that have both (Nirvana instantly coming to mind), that not only brought style but had the music to back it up. Still, early punk music was very, um...basic, as far as musical talent is concerned, and as you brought out most of their success was based on how they presented themselves and their material, rather than the actual songs themselves.

Re: 17 yr olds do know s**t actually!!

u2elevatejo said:
I don't really like Avril but there's no need to dis her just because she's 17. Man, I was writing some deep s**t when I was 15/16!!! It's all about personal experience.

Don't assume that teenagers don't know how to 'feel' anything or 'understand' what's happening in the world. :rant:

I'm with you on this Jo, but Avril just seems to exert too much effort to let people know she's hardcore or punk. She may be that on the outside, but on the inside she's got no depth and the lyrics are very shallow. She's just sad. :tsk:

Bono was what, 17 or 18 when U2 did Boy, but he was no Avril in songwriting. Ofcourse, to compare U2 with Avril is futile exercise, but you know what I mean.;)

Last edited:
Re: 17 yr olds do know s**t actually!!

u2elevatejo said:
I don't really like Avril but there's no need to dis her just because she's 17. Man, I was writing some deep s**t when I was 15/16!!! It's all about personal experience.

Don't assume that teenagers don't know how to 'feel' anything or 'understand' what's happening in the world. :rant:

I don't think anyone was commenting the aspect of her age being a factor in the fact that her writing is far from groundbreaking.

Yes, she is young....but I was writing deeper stuff than her when I was 7, and people are treating it like she's the next Emily Dickenson.

Besides Cr-8-ive spelling is sooooooooo 5 years ago :rolleyes::laugh:

Hmmmm

Okay, so I've just seen some of her lyrics...

man, they are empty. shallow. void of soul. :yuck:

punk she is not.

Jo

You guys will never believe this but a girl that i went to school with(she was 2 years younger) just got picked by MTV for he to be in that show 'Becoming". And who do you think she is becoming....Ya you guessed it Avril!!!!

look i know absolutely nothing about her...she hasnt really been launched over here yet.

but i did hear one song...and i loved it. ive only heard it three times but i really like it...."Complicated".

and for what its worth, i really like Vanessa Carltons "thousand Miles" and Michelle Branches Everywhere, and All you wanted.

i mean, yall are giving out because the record company are "just appealing to the latest fad etc etc." whats wrong with that??

when Britney and her clones are big, everyone gives out. when better (even if you dont like it, you have to admit its better) stuff is replacing it, even for the most commercial of reasons, you give out.

im confused.

:confused:

Well I'm going to see her live in London on November 22nd SO I will let u all know if she can play instruments and sing live! ;)

ANd I think her albums pretty good!!! She may get even better with age or she may just dissapear......who knows?

She's definitely over-exposed at the moment, but I think that "Complicated" is a fine pop song and "Sk8er Boi" is a lot of fun (although the spelling makes me wanna slap her silly). I agree though that she tries way too hard to be soooo "punk" and "street". It will be interesting to see what happens next.

What was the thing with Fiona Apple's acceptance speech, anyway?

I managed to sit through part of her "making the video" and it really confirmed my initial assumption of her. She bragged about how she wrote the entire album, oops she meant she wrote it with a team of professional song writers. That when her band of professionally trained musicians came in they just "clicked" and got a long. The musicians themselves said the exact same thing, however, there was an uneasiness in thier demeanor....like it was scripted.

:rolleyes:

Anyway...Fiona's speech at the VMA's a few years back was a riot.... basically she said that the music industry was bullshit, not to believe what you see because it's more likely it was created by businessmen rather than an artist.

that was what I got from it....I don't remember the exact speech....

I really like Avril. Does anybody have her new CD? I love the song Girlfriend and think her music has really matured. If you haven't picked up the new album I'd recommend it.

is it just me
or is she now everything she said she hated back in 2002?

merely curious...

Back
Top Bottom