Australian Music Appreciation Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man

Thom's Bitch
So...

I feel Oz is producing some great talent at the moment. Some of it is shared with the world, some just seems to stay here.

Aussies, what are your fav local acts?

Everyone else, what do you know about our music scene?

I think we have some great talent out here:

Powderfinger
silverchair
Alex Loyd (spelling?)
Something for Kate
Ben Lee
Natalie Imbruglia

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Originally posted by bono_man:
Powderfinger
silverchair
Alex Loyd (spelling?)
Something for Kate
Natalie Imbruglia

Also, the band George. I saw them live recently and they were really great. A beautiful album.

Yeah they are talented. What is the world missing out on!!!

------------------

Ok, I know about Powderfinger and of course Silverchair (didn't know they were from Oz!
eek.gif
) haha

Last summer at the Folk Fest here in town, there was an Australian Band called "Fruit". They were billed as 'the biggest act to come out of Australia in a long time' or something to that effect. Have you guys heard of them? They were fantastic!! A real variety of musical styles. There were three or four women all of whom could sing and two guys. Tons of different instruments throughout the gig. Very eclectic. I'd love to see them again.

--> Jonny... you are forgetting about Kylie!!
biggrin.gif

Midnight Oil?
Olivia Newton John (although I'm not a fan)
Vanessa Amarosi (after the Olympics, I heard "Absolutely Everybody" on the radio everywhere I went)

you know what's incredible, that Australia has a huge country music industry. Excellent talent. keith urban was huge there, and came here and is now one of the best singer/songwriters in Nashville, and plays guitar like Stevie Ray Vaughn. there's another young Australian woman now also in Nashville, forget the name, besides Jamie. Just bought Darren's (Hayes) new cd. What's cool is the world is wide open thanks to the internet. I listen to Australian radio stations, country music in Australia, bought keith urban's first cd's right from Australia, listen to bbc and irish radio stations online, and order cds through Ireland and England. thanks for those recommendations.

Ben Lee is the only aussie artist I still currently listen to. I got to see him last year play in this little club outside Philly. Eagerly awaiting a new album this year.

hey christina...never heard of fruit! any other aussies heard of 'em? i also forgot inxs!! oh oh! and basement jaxx! great dance act!

------------------

When anyone mentions Australian music I instantly think of Savage Garden, because I was really obsessed with them for a while. They are still one of my favourite bands. They rock! It sucks that they split up
frown.gif

Natalie Imbruglia is cool as well.

I have heard of powderfinger, silverchair and midnight oil, but have never heard anything by any of them to the best of my knowledge. I am very musically deprived
icon25.gif

I really must download more music, because there are loads of bands I really should have listened to which I haven't
frown.gif

So basically, I don't know much Australian music, but what I do know, I like.(excluding kylie)

Is Snow Patrol Australian, or did I make that up?

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Originally posted by meegannie:
Is Snow Patrol Australian, or did I make that up?

Snow Patrol is from Northern Ireland. Their last album was incredible. What did you think of it?

Originally posted by barlowdog:
Snow Patrol is from Northern Ireland. Their last album was incredible. What did you think of it?

Really? Where in particular? That makes me like them even more!
smile.gif

I love their last album, especially the first two songs.

------------------
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Originally posted by RavenStar:
There is this new aussie band I like called Brooklyn Star.

That's odd you should post that, because I was just wondering about them the other day. I've never heard anything by them but I'm curious. Have they released anything yet? What style of music are they?

I love their last album, especially the first two songs.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where in Northern Ireland Snow Patrol is from, but I should try to find out.
That would be interesting to know. I like the whole record, especially track 11 right now; "An Olive Grove Facing the Sea."
It's gorgeous.

Originally posted by Truly:
That's odd you should post that, because I was just wondering about them the other day. I've never heard anything by them but I'm curious. Have they released anything yet? What style of music are they?

I dun think they have released anything yet. I like their song called Something to bring you down. visit their site at http://www.brooklynstar.com

------------------
He who stands atop the highest mountain can see the farthest

Don't shoot me but I really like TOFOG (Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts). You know, Russell Crowe's band. Some of their stuff is kinda mediocre but The Legend of Barry Kable, Sail Those Same Oceans and Wendy is good. They've got this horn player who really gives the music some edge. No, not like our beloved Edge. Yeah, yeah I've got this thing for Russell but I truly think the music is good.

I like Frente, they're from OZ right? I know I'm a dork. Shuddup.

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

There's only room for one and here she comes, here she comes...

There is this new aussie band I like called Brooklyn Star.

------------------
He who stands atop the highest mountain can see the farthest

powderfinger's internationalist is a really good album

I didn't know Basement Jaxx were from Oz!

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Angel:
Last summer at the Folk Fest here in town, there was an Australian Band called "Fruit". They were billed as 'the biggest act to come out of Australia in a long time' or something to that effect. Have you guys heard of them? They were fantastic!! A real variety of musical styles. There were three or four women all of whom could sing and two guys. Tons of different instruments throughout the gig. Very eclectic. I'd love to see them again.

--> Jonny... you are forgetting about Kylie!!
biggrin.gif

Hey I have seen Fruit at a folk festival near me - they are very cool and great music!!!!

mate, we have sooooooo much great music, both new and old, my personal faves are;

Paul Kelly
Jeff Lang
Hunters and Collectors
The Cruel Sea
Nick Cave
Ed Keupper
The Toothfaeries
The Bird
Radio Birdman
The Chair (especially after hearing Live at the wireless tonight)
Nu Breed
smile.gif

------------------
"thankyou!...... thankyou, thankyou for coming out.....it's a nice place you got here, your lucky to live here.....some of our mates, ahhh, some of our mates get busted for hi-jacking aeroplanes, we get busted for wearing sandals,...... you know thats, thats cool.....alright thankyou for coming out and, and.... spending the big bucks to see Popmart, thanks alot"

Bono: ANZ Stadium @ Brisbane, February 25th 1998.....

Originally posted by U2live:
you know what's incredible, that Australia has a huge country music industry. Excellent talent. keith urban was huge there, and came here and is now one of the best singer/songwriters in Nashville, and plays guitar like Stevie Ray Vaughn. there's another young Australian woman now also in Nashville, forget the name, besides Jamie. Just bought Darren's (Hayes) new cd. What's cool is the world is wide open thanks to the internet. I listen to Australian radio stations, country music in Australia, bought keith urban's first cd's right from Australia, listen to bbc and irish radio stations online, and order cds through Ireland and England. thanks for those recommendations.
I like Keith Urban too. He's a really good guitar player. I met him once and he's nice too. I think the woman is Jamie O'Neal. Not 100%, but I think that's it.

So much great music is made on this island of ours. I love it.
Yesterday I could only spend a brief time looking at an Interactive CD ROM called "Real Wild Child" a who's who and what happened, of the Australian music industry. Check it out if you can.

Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle:
Neil Finn

I like the video for "She Will Have Her Way."

------------------

Back
Top Bottom