Australian Cricket Team Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
timothius said:

Key points:

McGrath bowled in an era with two distinct "bunny" teams Zimbabwe & Bangladesh.

While the overs are similar (666.666 overs difference funnily enough) McGrath has had acess to at least 25 more new balls if not 45-50 more... which is a significant advantage.

Furthermore comparing Hadlee's 9fer against Australia away and McGraths bowling against a second string Pakistain on a dangerous WACA pitch is not exactly a fair comparison. I think you will be hardpressed to find anyone who will agree that McGraths bowling surpassed Hadlee's.

Hadlee was a considerabley better batsmen.

Hadlee was a considerabley better feildsmen.

Hadlee did have good bowling team mates John Bracewell etc.

Ah, so now Zimbabwe is a bunny team. Who recently played them? Hmm, hmm and who was crowing about winning two tests? :wink:

Would have to go back and look at number of new balls, but personally, I wonder about the advantage of the new ball on some pitches and since when has the WACA been a dangerous pitch?

Tania said:

Ah, so now Zimbabwe is a bunny team. Who recently played them? Hmm, hmm and who was crowing about winning two tests? :wink:

Would have to go back and look at number of new balls, but personally, I wonder about the advantage of the new ball on some pitches and since when has the WACA been a dangerous pitch?

Axver & I. Again, I would much rather defeat Zimbabwe than lose to England (*cough* or Bangladesh *cough*).

The WACA has always been notorious for its bounce and favour to faster bowlers... quality innings their have always been held in high regard.

I never said it wasn't a bowlers wicket, Palace. :mad: I was disputing the idea that it was a dangerous wicket.

For all out pace it is a great wicket to play on, just like other grounds are fantastic for spin or great for batting. Every wicket can become "dangerous" as it gets older and starts to break up, but then that is all part of the game isn't it?

England's current team is probably the best team that they have had in a very long time but I still think that they don't quite have the killer instinct and that is why the last two tests have been so close.

Tania said:
I never said it wasn't a bowlers wicket, Palace. :mad: I was disputing the idea that it was a dangerous wicket.

For all out pace it is a great wicket to play on, just like other grounds are fantastic for spin or great for batting. Every wicket can become "dangerous" as it gets older and starts to break up, but then that is all part of the game isn't it?

England's current team is probably the best team that they have had in a very long time but I still think that they don't quite have the killer instinct and that is why the last two tests have been so close.

Well in my eyes a wicket that is perfect for bowlers is inherently a dangerous wicket.

And this killer instinct cathphrase I see banded about these days is a fad. The reason the matches have been so close is because it is the two best teams in the world.

Palace_Hero said:

Well in my eyes a wicket that is perfect for bowlers is inherently a dangerous wicket.

And this killer instinct cathphrase I see banded about these days is a fad. The reason the matches have been so close is because it is the two best teams in the world.

:lmao:

So does that mean that a wicket that is good for spin bowling should be considered dangerous? Or would one, such as Adelaide, be considered "safe" because it is more suited to batting. I think the whole "dangerous" thing is a bit of a laugh really considering the damage one can do/have done during other sports.

Watching the Ashes series there have been a number of occasions where I believe that England have become very conservative with their field placings when they had the upper hand. This has allowed Australia back into the game and then it is on for one and all.

As an aside, something that has always made me wonder was the whole Hanse Cronje match fixing thing. I don't know all the details but I wondered how that could have been implemented without other cricketers/support staff etc knowing something. I always thought he was a good cricketer, so I guess it goes to show how much I know.

:lol:

This thread amuses me. Defensive Aussies and Pommies are running in from all over the show!

warne.jpg

:drool: Now THAT I can appreciate.

Isn't it time we have an Allan Border Appreciation thread? I mean, come on. What he did for this country was more in one day that Waugh did in his entire career.
THOSE were the days!!!

/old and bitter
:grumpy:

timothius said:

darrenlehmann_ent-lead__200x234.jpg

Darren Says: Howzabouta manaja tua, sheila!? :drool:

:combust:

While the offer sounds EXTREMELY tantalising, Darren, I'm a little caught up with this fine looking fellow:

16_2_2005_hayden.jpg

"it isn't fair, I've had enough, now I want my share, can't you see? You take more than you giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!"

blueeyedgirl said:
"it isn't fair, I've had enough, now I want my share, can't you see? You take more than you giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!"

:lmao: Now I have that stupid mullet brain singing in my head:huh:

I think that the great McGrath, has been swamped under the press adoration for Shane Warne, both on and off the field he is notorious, either loved or loathed, he brings publicity…

If your looking for the better bowler, in my opinion it has be McGrath every time… just look at his statistics! He rules.

I think there are loads of under appreciated AU players, this includes McGill. And I think the team places to much pressure on younger players, ie Clarke, give him some experience and he’ll be great. Plus he is cute!

Back
Top Bottom