Australia vs Uraguay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think we have every reason to be biased, its because think this means so much more to australian sport than ANYTHING ELSE

a/ we havent qualified for the world cup for 31 years, i have NEVER seen us play in the world cup

b/ soccer is not australia's strong sport, even though it is said to be the most 'played' sport

i mean it was taken for granted that there was going to be football's world cup every 4 years and we arent playing in it, i never could work out why

the curse is over

and johnny warren this one is for you!

It's not about being biased. Hell, even I was bias toward Australia tonight. But claiming Australia had some devine right to win on penalties tonight because they "outplayed" them in the first 120mins is ridiculous. :tsk:

Shwartzer :bow:

timothius said:
I didn't mind the complete enthusiasim that they had, and I totally understood the reasons for it. I was more bothered by the comms saying things like "It will be a traversty if Australia lose" and "Justice was served" etc etc. The difference between the two teams was marginal. Australia were solid no doubt, not taking anything away, but a truly "great" performance would have seen them nail Uruguay when they were tierd in the last 20 mins of normal time.

The commentators pissed me off a lot.

But I generally hate Aussie commentators anyway.

By the way, Timo, you were slightly off with your years on when Australia and NZ made World Cups last. NZ was in 1982 and Australia in 1974.

Forgive me if I sound like a troll, but:

:heart::up::dance:
FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH! WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! AUSTRALIA IS IN FOR 2006!
:bow::drunk::applaud:

timothius said:
But claiming Australia had some devine right to win on penalties tonight because they "outplayed" them in the first 120mins is ridiculous.
Yeah, that game deserved to go to penalties, because they sure weren't going to settle it on the field.

Sad to think that Bahrain (or T&T) will be going to the World Cup, but Uruguay will be staying home. Now THAT is a travesty. I wish FIFA would get a little more creative and adventurous with its qualifying format.

Yup, I'm sure that the Uruguayans have to feel pretty embarassed.... I mean, getting eliminated by Australia???!!!! :tsk:

U2@NYC said:
Yup, I'm sure that the Uruguayans have to feel pretty embarassed.... I mean, getting eliminated by Australia???!!!! :tsk:

Fuck off, Australia have some of the best european based players in there squad...the only reason they dont have as much success as they should is all down to geography, they never get to play together as a team.....anyway...yyyyyyyyyyyyeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and while im raving who gives a shit about the booooing i seem to recall on our previous visit to uruguay, the locals tried to kill us!!!!!

where was i...oh yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reptile said:

Fuck off, Australia have some of the best european based players in there squad...the only reason they dont have as much success as they should is all down to geography, they never get to play together as a team.....anyway...yyyyyyyyyyyyeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and while im raving who gives a shit about the booooing i seem to recall on our previous visit to uruguay, the locals tried to kill us!!!!!

where was i...oh yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, no need to insult me. That "fuck off" was completely out of line. :mad:

Second, Australia has some of the best European-based players...

:lmao:

Ok, do not get carried away. I think it is great that you made it to the World Cup after all this time but Uruguay was a country with soccer tradition that won two World Cups. Therefore, I think they must feel pretty embarassed that they lost to a country with no soccer tradition like Australia.

U2@NYC said:

First of all, no need to insult me. That "fuck off" was completely out of line. :mad:

Ok, do not get carried away. I think it is great that you made it to the World Cup after all this time but Uruguay was a country with soccer tradition that won two World Cups. Therefore, I think they must feel pretty embarassed that they lost to a country with no soccer tradition like Australia.

Yes but Uruguay have hardly lit up the footballing world in the last 50 years have they? didn't they win their world cups in the 1920's or 30's?

Australia have every right to be in the World Cup. Well done to them i say :up:

1stepcloser said:

Yes but Uruguay have hardly lit up the footballing world in the last 50 years have they? didn't they win their world cups in the 1920's or 30's?

Australia have every right to be in the World Cup. Well done to them i say :up:

First one in 1930, second one in 1950.

I am not questioning the right of Australia to get into the World Cup at all. Never did.

:up: Australia

That said I don't think they'll go far in the actual tournament; they were pretty dismal in the Confed Cup this year.

Although think about it, if Aus went to last 16 or a q-final would FIFA think about giving Oceania automatic status?

All 32 teams are known. Now it all depends on the draw! Who will get stuck in the group with Netherlands or Czech Republic, and who will sneak into a group with Trinidad and Angola?

The commentators, remember, have been involved in this directly for decades and probably had to show considerable restraint to not flat out be 110% biased all the way through. I thought it was fun that they injected that 20% of one sided enthusiasm.

As for the booing, well Uruguay had 'played' it dirty throughout on and off the field, and think about football crowds in general around the world - this was probably a very very tame crowd compared to what some of those players would be used to, even just playing for their clubs. I did think it was incredibly disrespectful to boo through the national anthem though. Hopefully the guy singing was pulling one over the crowd and had changed the lyrics as a little in joke "Oh yellow, such a masculine colour to wear. On the way here, I ran over a fucking koala bear."

Now! Off to get fucking destroyed and booted in the first round of the World Cup!! Hooray!!!

timothius said:
cleazer when do FIFA make the draw? :hyper:

Friday 9th December, at around 1930 GMT I think. The London England fans are having a draw party so that should be fun.

As for Australia there is no country more deserving of a place at the World Cup and they have every right to get exdcited about this, given the obstacles they've had to overcome (bastard, lying FIFA Presidents etc).

It's clear to identify the no-nothings about football here, if they don't realise how difficult it is to play one competitive tie every four years against credible opposition. It's a joke that Oceania don't get an automatic place, how do we expect football to improve there otherwise.

Despite the trouble he's had at Liverpool, Harry Kewel is one of the best players on the planet and should get to show his worth at the very highest level.

:up: Excellent work Australia.

Lets hope for a reasonable draw so that they don't get knocked out straight away.

U2@NYC said:

i apologise for the fuck off (hey were all pretty excited down here!)
i still find it offensive to say they should feel embaressed. They where beaten by the better team on the day. Things change, no-one does or should dominate forever, its not good for the game.

1stepcloser said:

Hmm, wonder when England last managed to light up the footballing world and win the World Cup ...?

:wink:

Italia '90.

I saw bits and pieces of the match, and I got the exact same broadcast as in the Antipodes, but I liked the commentary. It was a bit like watching pro wrestling in the old days when there'd be a heel ('bad guy') commentator who'd cheer extensively for one guy. I feel bad for the Uruguayan people, because going out on penalties is crap and practically the whole world didn't want your country to win, but take nothing away from Australia.

Commentary was hilarious though.

"Have some class, mate! I think the coach ought to be sent to the stands!"

(before Aloisi penalty) "Are you sure? Are you sure? Come on John! Come on son! YEEES! COME ON AUSTRALIA! AAARGGHHH!!"

I have no problems with that whatsoever. Good on the Aussies.

Oh and kudos to Aloisi for doing a Flintoff and going up to Zalayeta at the end of the match to swap shirts. Classy. :up:

And...Harry Kewell, despite being one of the best players of the night, should never ever be seen again in public on account of his awful haircut.

I loved the passion from the comms! It was just the whole "justice" "rightfully deserved" and "devine right" comments that bothered me.

That "Are You Sure" comment was hillarious. Everyone knew that was the case, but the comms just thought there was just no way Australia could be on the verge of this, they somehow were going to throw it. Thankfully they overcame and conqoured. :up:

As previously stated, the draw will be on Friday, December 9. I suppose that would be Saturday morning for you kids walking around upside down all the time.

FIFA has not announced exactly how the 32 will be divided into pots yet, and in fact Blatter recently hinted that England might not be seeded. They probably won't announce the details until early December.

^ What, we're going to have to have a Desperate and Dateless World Cup thread now as well?????

Are Aussies seen as so relaxed that noone wants to diarise nwith them anything any more? :lmao: Or, does the rest of the world believe that there are so few of us they can just holler and we all come running :lol:

I was watching SportsCenter yesterday and one of the Aussie guest panelists brought up the fact this is probably the high point of Australian sport this year, considering how badly the rugby has gone and how the cricket team lost the Ashes.

Me? I was waiting for the impromptu renditions of 'Waltzing Matilda'.

Some folks over on the soccer boards like to do random mock draws, just to see what types of bizarre groups we could wind up with on December 9th.

Here's a listing of how some of the Australian groups turned out:
(These are all completely meaningless, but since you Aussies have no idea what the World Cup is like, I thought I'd give you a taste of some random possibilities.)

-England, Sweden, Ecuador, Australia

-Argentina, Portugal, Costa Rica, Australia

-Spain, Sweden, Ghana, Australia

-Italy, Switzerland, USA, Australia

-England, Portugal, USA, Australia

-Spain, Czech, Australia, Trinidad

-Argentina, Australia, Japan, Serbia

-England, Australia, Angola, Sweden

-Holland, Costa Rica, Australia, Serbia

Okay, enough of that randomness. That's only picking through 2 pages of an 8 page thread. I won't bother to type any more out, since the only draw that counts is the real one. There is one final group that really caught my eye though:

-Brazil, Portugal, Netherlands, USA

YIKES! I really hope that doesn't happen. That could be the all-time toughest group in World Cup history.

Just guessing here, but I'd say the best-case scenario for Australia would probably be Spain, Poland, and Trinidad (or Saudi Arabia). Worst-case scenario would probably be the above-mentioned Brazil, Holland, and Portugal. (Though Brazil, Czech, and Sweden wouldn't be too much better.)

how does everyone rate the australia players?

i mean..where does kewell and viduka sit in say the worlds rankings?

what about our 2nd tear player..like neil and chipperfiled etc?

im an AFL fan..forgive my ignorance....

cleazer said:
Sad to think that Bahrain (or T&T) will be going to the World Cup, but Uruguay will be staying home. Now THAT is a travesty. I wish FIFA would get a little more creative and adventurous with its qualifying format.

No, it's great to see Trinidad & Tobago going to the World Cup too. Quite historic.

Because not only has the coach of the Australian team (Guus Hiddink) been present at three different consecutive World Cups with three different teams (the Netherlands in 1998, South-Korea in 2002 and now Australia in 2006), but with Australia and Trinidad & Tobago going to the World Cup there'll be four Dutch coaches! There's of course the Dutch team (Marco van Basten), Australia (Guus Hiddink), Trinidad & Tobago (Leo Beenhakker) and South-Korea (Dick Advocaat).
:up:

Yay for the Dutchies!

Popmartijn said:

No, it's great to see Trinidad & Tobago going to the World Cup too. Quite historic.

Because not only has the coach of the Australian team (Guus Hiddink) been present at three different consecutive World Cups with three different teams (the Netherlands in 1998, South-Korea in 2002 and now Australia in 2006), but with Australia and Trinidad & Tobago going to the World Cup there'll be four Dutch coaches! There's of course the Dutch team (Marco van Basten), Australia (Guus Hiddink), Trinidad & Tobago (Leo Beenhakker) and South-Korea (Dick Advocaat).
:up:

Yay for the Dutchies!

It's quite obvious who's actually going to run this show in Germany isn't it? :wink:

Go Aussies!! :up:

Back
Top Bottom