Australia vs Uraguay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thatsnotmypuppy said:
And frankly, I reckon as the Solomon Islands showed thi year - NZ getting that point is far from a sure thing!

There was a bit of a backstory as to how that all came about though.

I love your premise though all it takes is an egotistical South American country coming over on a stormy Wellington night and going down 1-0. :drool:

yertle-the-turtle said:
Well as someone from Asia I did think about folding Oceania into our region but it's hardly fair to our teams, isn't it?

Then again, Turkey are playing in Europe.

Naturally Asia would be afforded an extra place for the new influx of teams. :yes:

Axver said:
I can't wait for New Zealand to make World Cup 2010. :drool:
I'm a fan of the NZ soccer team, because two Kiwis play for my favorite team, the Columbus Crew. (I'm a season ticket holder, despite living 3 hours away!)

yertle-the-turtle said:
Well as someone from Asia I did think about folding Oceania into our region but it's hardly fair to our teams, isn't it?
The rumor going around is that next year Australia will join the Asian confederation, but the rest of Oceania will remain separate.

Australia was pushing hard for this, because this way they'll have some automatic spots available to them. Asia finally gave in when they finally crunched the numbers and looked at the Aussie tv money.

The source for this was a Japanese official with loose lips. Apparently it was being kept secret because they couldn't make an announcement like this in the middle of qualifying for the 2006 World Cup. That said, since it's not official yet, I suppose it still might change. Especially if Australia qualify for the WC and advance to the round of 16. That might be enough to get an automatic spot for Oceania.

Otherwise, New Zealand will be left all alone atop Oceania. We'll see how long that lasts.

Apparently Australians don't know how to pump up soccer balls, as the ref has already rejected two of them in the first minute!

Great crowd for this game. The house is rockin!

Come on Uruguay, one goal is all it takes! :hyper:

(Actually, to be honest, I'm not too fussed either way, but it's fun supporting Uruguay around Australians. :wink: )

they need support :wink: i dont actually care either way, either, except i'm still on this whole they can fuck off sideways with their "it's our divine right to win this"

er......whatever, pussies.
:tsk:

Well, Australia has 'won' 1-0, leaving the aggregate score level on 1-1 and necessitating 30 minutes of extra play.

I'm not fussed who wins and even I feel tense!

This is exciting. It's been a good game, though it was getting a little sloppy towards the end. Not too surprising considering how tired most of these players must be getting.

No score in the 30 minutes of extra time. We're down to a penalty shoot-out now.

The feed up here went black about 3 minutes ago!!! :mad: :mad:

What a terrible time to have problems!

Australia saved the first Uruguayan penalty kick.

After two shots a-piece, it's 2-1 to Australia.

And one of SBS's commentators is REALLY annoying me. :madspit:

Viduka puts it wide! I don't believe it.

Then Australia saves the next kick! Unbelieveable!

After four shots each, it's Australia 3-2.

Australia wins the shoot-out! What a thrilling contest. Australia is through to World Cup 2006.

Oh, and unbiased commentators? Ha, no. These guys are going nuts.

And for all those naysayers, those harbingers of doom, John Aloisi, the man who got the last penalty, the man who is sending us to the WORLD CUP, the genuis of the round ball, is from

ADELAIDE!!!!! :heart: :happy: :kiss: :cute: :bow: :combust:

I wish it was New Zealand. :(

I will never get over this pain. :sad:

:wink:

CrashedCar's post just reminded me. Was I the only one slightly offended by the crowd and commentry tonight? The booing of the 80,000 people in the crowd each time a Uruguayn even made as much a pass completely surrended any moral high ground it's supporters want to take now. :down:

The team on the field however. :up: :up: :up:

Most of the game Craig Foster and I were in synch, especially about the Australian corners (why they kept floating them high when the keeper would get them :mad: ). I wasn't too offended by them booing, though they shoulda kept quiet during the anthems. So he got a bit hyperbolic, it was a hyperbolic situation. :wink:

Anyway, from what I remember of the first leg, the Uruguayans weren't that respectful either.

I didn't mind the complete enthusiasim that they had, and I totally understood the reasons for it. I was more bothered by the comms saying things like "It will be a traversty if Australia lose" and "Justice was served" etc etc. The difference between the two teams was marginal. Australia were solid no doubt, not taking anything away, but a truly "great" performance would have seen them nail Uruguay when they were tierd in the last 20 mins of normal time.

timothius said:
CrashedCar's post just reminded me. Was I the only one slightly offended by the crowd and commentry tonight? The booing of the 80,000 people in the crowd each time a Uruguayn even made as much a pass completely surrended any moral high ground it's supporters want to take now. :down:

The team on the field however. :up: :up: :up:

pfft

ronaldo has said that urgay is the dirtiest country in world sport, willing to cheat at any angle to win

No arguments there about their finishing. They're gonna have to work on that if they want to do well in the WORLD CUP! but their general team work was a millions time better than some of their previous games.

Tonight they didn't get bogged down in midfield and their passing was spot on. Very, very good result and justice was definitely served! :happy: :heart: :happy:

CrashedCarDriver said:

pfft

ronaldo has said that urgay is the dirtiest country in world sport, willing to cheat at any angle to win

And did you see their coach and bench? Not the most well behaved bunch I've ever seen! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom