Augie March: some good mature stuff in the vein of elbow/coldplay/etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
I wanted to just make the subject 'Augie March!!!!!!' but I didn't. Because, if I had it would have joined my Andrew Bird thread in the annals of threads that make me look silly and lonely.

I swear these guys must have been talked about here before, but i didn't find them in the band index, so I decided to make a new thread.

They have a lot of neat stuff to check out on their website. http://www.augie-march.com/

And the best lyrics. Ever.

I don't see the coldplay connection I'm sorry. They're a very decent band and I'm familiar with their music (and lyrics), but in the vein of Coldplay? No.

I'm getting too old for mature music. Now I just want my mind blown by some blistering rock and roll.

i was just trying to sell them to the coldplay hype. i'm sorry. i've been bad. i remember reading that somewhere and it does work as far as generally melancholy piano driven sludge. and sludge is not necessarily bad. it just means it's heavy and layered and thick. like guacamole.

good evening.

I vastly prefer the first Augie March album, sunset studies. I know that if they'd called it 'Sunset Stubbies' it would have sold 1.5 million copies and been on every critic's best-album-ever list.

Anyhow, they are an interesting band I would never want to sound like i'm down on them because they are miles above and beyond nearly everyone else in this parched brown land. That said, I still want my mind blown.

It's great stuff.
everybody should go listen to it

go buy, or do whatever you have to do, to get the album Strange Bird

I saw them open for Starsailor a couple of years ago and while they sounded great, I have to stay their stage presence was deadly. As in nonexistent. Not a hint of a smile, a joke, or anything even resembling a human pulse, frankly, except that they sounded good. I was kinda weirded out by them. Maybe it was the altitude in Boulder or something but they were pretty miserable looking people.

joyfulgirl said:
I saw them open for Starsailor a couple of years ago and while they sounded great, I have to stay their stage presence was deadly. As in nonexistent. Not a hint of a smile, a joke, or anything even resembling a human pulse, frankly, except that they sounded good. I was kinda weirded out by them. Maybe it was the altitude in Boulder or something but they were pretty miserable looking people.

Well, they don't have a reputation for being a very good live band. I suggest that you listen to an album. You'll get a better idea of their sound.

I've been an Augie March fan for quite awhile now, thanks to Kieran for turning me onto them. In turn, I have burned some CDs and sent them to a few lovely people from around here. I think they are a real gem and I'm glad to see they are getting some more publicity around these parts. They are certainly deserving of it.

Calluna said:

Well, they don't have a reputation for being a very good live band. I suggest that you listen to an album. You'll get a better idea of their sound.

Oh, I do like their music and have heard quite a bit of it. I was just commenting on the live performance I saw.

Well then i guess I don't have to be super annoyed I didn't take a chance to see them live last fall.. :)

me, too. :)

More mp3s soon, i promise. but soon might not mean soon. but more coming. yeah.

Back
Top Bottom