Assassination of the Sun - It's the Communist Sun God Worshippers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was in my Cultural Anthropology class and we're covering political systems and conflict resolution.

We had to get into groups and discuss the case we were given: A Japanese woman living in Santa Monica, LA was shattered that her husband was committing adultery and wanted to go through with an old Japanese custom called...something I don't remember. It's where the wife of a cheating man has to kill herself along with any child she has borne. She ended up walking into the ocean and killing her 5 month old daughter but she herself was rescued and survived. She is under trial for manslaughter.

Our task? To discuss and come up with a conclusion as to what we as a jury would do.

Personally, I would find her guilty of manslaughter just because the daughter had no choice. I respect the custom but you can't kill another person if they have no choice, you know?

It was in my Cultural Anthropology class and we're covering political systems and conflict resolution.

We had to get into groups and discuss the case we were given: A Japanese woman living in Santa Monica, LA was shattered that her husband was committing adultery and wanted to go through with an old Japanese custom called...something I don't remember. It's where the wife of a cheating man has to kill herself along with any child she has borne. She ended up walking into the ocean and killing her 5 month old daughter but she herself was rescued and survived. She is under trial for manslaughter.

Our task? To discuss and come up with a conclusion as to what we as a jury would do.

Wow that's hard, isn't it? And got alot more to do with female reliance on men, attitudes towards husbands and stuff than to make it a straightforward 'oh my god how terrible!' sort of case. Although, that doesn't excuse her killing her child ofcourse. Just, imagine feeling so betrayed that you'd want to. Because I can't ever imagine feeling that, but maybe that's because I have no reliance on men whatsoever and never will have :shrug:

What did you come up with?

Personally, I would find her guilty of manslaughter just because the daughter had no choice. I respect the custom but you can't kill another person if they have no choice, you know?

I agree - but it really does raise some mighty interesting issues - what was the outcome in the end BD? or are you still all formulating your arguements / ideas?

Wow that's hard, isn't it? And got alot more to do with female reliance on men, attitudes towards husbands and stuff than to make it a straightforward 'oh my god how terrible!' sort of case. Although, that doesn't excuse her killing her child ofcourse. Just, imagine feeling so betrayed that you'd want to. Because I can't ever imagine feeling that, but maybe that's because I have no reliance on men whatsoever and never will have :shrug:

What did you come up with?

I don't get the whole child killing side of it AT ALL!!! What does that prove/gain? Personally, as a parent, I would gladly lay down my life for that of my son. I can't imagine ever feeling otherwise.

I don't get the whole child killing side of it AT ALL!!! What does that prove/gain? Personally, as a parent, I would gladly lay down my life for that of my son. I can't imagine ever feeling otherwise.

I know, I don't get that, I mean you've got to be feeling something wrong if you're able to do that. There's obviously something wrong with the woman, and if she tried to commit suicide. But the child bit - that makes things just SO much harder.

But thats exactly what makes the case so interesting . . . you're looking at it from your cultural perspective whereas this woman is looking at it from hers and therein lies the confict . . . I don't pretend to understand how it makes any sense to this woman (or indeed how she could go through with it - like you I would lay down my life for my kids )but thats part of the universal misunderstanding between cultures really isn't it?

What we came up with was: Since the incident happened here in the US and not Japan, she had to be tried under US law. And a child was definitely intentionally killed. She took the child with her to the ocean and was in her full senses too. So.. we suggested she go to jail for about 10 to 15 years and since the case didn't specify if she was a US citizen, she should be deported back to Japan. But if she was, then jail and probation and counselling. Psychiatric help and all.

I know, I don't get that, I mean you've got to be feeling something wrong if you're able to do that. There's obviously something wrong with the woman, and if she tried to commit suicide. But the child bit - that makes things just SO much harder.

I wonder if because it is a custom that the jury wouldn't buy an insanity plea even though something is wrong like you said. :hmm:

What we came up with was: Since the incident happened here in the US and not Japan, she had to be tried under US law. And a child was definitely intentionally killed. She took the child with her to the ocean and was in her full senses too. So.. we suggested she go to jail for about 10 to 15 years and since the case didn't specify if she was a US citizen, she should be deported back to Japan. But if she was, then jail and probation and counselling. Psychiatric help and all.

seems fair.

Wow, I hate to cut it short - there are so many lovely people in here:love: - but I gotta go pick up the boy.

Catch all y'all later. :wave:

Deporting her back to a country that has a culture telling her she should kill herself would be a bad move in my opinion.

Basically it all boils down to other cultures having male domination. If I was ever in this woman's position, what I'd do is LEAVE him. No tears, no drama, nothing. I'd walk out and not beg and cry and all. But this is an entirely different culture. So as PR says, we have to look at THEIR side of it too. It's their culture, their practice. Who are we to judge other cultures, traditions and customs?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom